DJK vs McNutt

And even more shocking to even me, mostly because I honestly thought we’d had too many one year or 2 year type guys and HF had had way more proficient Qbs….5 of the top 10 QBs are under KF and a 6th Kyle McCann, had 2 years under KF and one under Hayden. And yet we still have a lot of vocal fans who if queried would assure you HF had a more wide open passing attack….

That will show them we have more of an emphasis on the passing game in the last few years, and they will have the opportunity to break records as well

Iowa has put more emphasis on the passing game under Ferentz than the average fan realizes. Also, I wouldn't confound our lack of a running game with putting more emphasis on the passing game.

I like the idea that it took DJK getting cut in Canada for the OP to realize: a) that DJK has "some issues" and b) that Iowa might not be the #1 destination for elite WR recruits. Truly this is ground-breaking stuff.

As for career records translating to NFL/pro opportunities-- this has never been the case. The Division I record holder for passing yards in a career is Timmy Chang (undrafted free agent, cut in training camp, two career CFL starts). The career leader for receptions is Taylor Stubblefied (undrafted free agent, cut, inactive in CFL). The leader for receiving yards is Trevor Insley (undrafted free agent, NFL Europe).

The only position where career records seem to translate directly to NFL opportunity is running back-- a lot of those records are held by Ron Dayne or Barry Sanders, and some of the best DIII marks are held by Danny Woodhead. But the passing game is too weird to project-- the stats have so much more to do with scheme and who you're playing with than anything that would translate directly to the NFL level.

i think it depends on the style of offense. players that set passing and receiving records (for their school) within a pro style offense instead of the hawaii and mike leach type offenses. tim dwight had records for iowa, now mcnutt (who should have a career)...djk could have had a career but he screwed that up by being an idiot...athletic talent was good enough to make a team. the off field and character issues make it hard to go after a guy who will be a 4th or 5th wr. you overlook those things on #1 and #2 type wrs but not on a 4 or 5 guy.

As for career records translating to NFL/pro opportunities-- this has never been the case. The Division I record holder for passing yards in a career is Timmy Chang (undrafted free agent, cut in training camp, two career CFL starts). The career leader for receptions is Taylor Stubblefied (undrafted free agent, cut, inactive in CFL). The leader for receiving yards is Trevor Insley (undrafted free agent, NFL Europe).

The only position where career records seem to translate directly to NFL opportunity is running back-- a lot of those records are held by Ron Dayne or Barry Sanders, and some of the best DIII marks are held by Danny Woodhead. But the passing game is too weird to project-- the stats have so much more to do with scheme and who you're playing with than anything that would translate directly to the NFL level.

Thank you for pointing this out. To bring it home with Iowa players, how about Drew Tate and Heisman-Trophy runner-up Brad Banks? They were both pretty successful at Iowa and barely got a sniff in the NFL. It's just a whole nother level in the NFL and a lot of it depends on things you can't change like size and speed.

Exactly, and this is also true more times than not going team by team:

OSU, David Boston
USC, Keary Colbert
Michigan, Braylon Edwards
Alabama, Julio Jones (recently passed by DJ Hall)
Michigan State, Andre Rison / Charles Rogers
Penn State, Deon Butler
Florida State, Ron Sellers
Auburn, Courtney Beasley / Ron Taylor
Washington, Reggie Williams
Tennessee, Joey Kent
Mississippi, Chris Collins / Shay Hodge
Florida, Andre Caldwell / Carlos Alverez
Wisconsin, Lee Evans
Clemson, Aaron Kelly
Miami, Santana Moss / Reggie Wayne
Oklahoma, Mark Clayton
Notre Dame, Golden Tate
UCLA, Danny Farmer / JJ Stokes
Georgia, Terrance Edwards

i have always been a DJK fan. Still am and he is one of my favorite hawks of all time. I think DJK started making football more about his brand, mpod, than actually playing the game. He has the talent but when it stops being about the game and about your brand, you have failed. Ask TO how brand translates on the field. Its unfortunate. he has the talent but he wants the fame more than he wants the field.

There you go.

This is the correct answer and the stats don't lie. No need to discuss the differences in the two regarding work ethic and personality, that's obvious. Statistically, MN achieved more in 3 yrs than DJK did in 4. The senior seasons tell the real story. MN 82-1315-12. DJK 45-745-10.

OutofTown. It's just stupid to say Iowa sucks because DJK can't make it in the real world. These two receivers played together for 3 seasons. In those 3 seasons Iowa won 28 games, an Insight Bowl, an Outback Bowl, and an Orange Bowl. The 08 team finished #20 and the 09 team finished #7. The 2010 team finished just outside the top 25 and beat the #12 team in the bowl game. Here, I'll help you a little. Indiana was 1-11 last yr. That is what sucking is.

Latest posts