DJK & Steve Breaston

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
I remember watching DJK's HS film and the comparison I came up with at the time was that of Michigan's Steve Breaston...both players played QB in HS, and both showed amazing instincts running the ball and in the return game. I felt that DJK could have a similar career.

Here were Breaston's stats:

RECEIVING: 156 catches, 1,696 yards and 10 TD
KOR: 81 returns, 24.6yd avg, 1 TD

Here are DJK's current stats:

RECEIVING: 152 catches, 2,274 yards and 14 TD with seven games to go
KOR: 52 returns, 25.4 yard average, 1 TD

So DJK's yards per catch dwarfs that of Breaston, as will his yards, catches and touchdowns. DJK's KOR avg is better than Breaston's, too.

Breaston played as a true frosh as well, recording 38 receptions that year.

remember when DJK had 3 td's saturday!?

its too bad you can't do celebrations in college football...i bet DJK could come up with something AWESOME

Jon:

Nice comparison. I wouldn't have made that one by any means. To me they just both seem like totally different receivers with Breaston being waaaaayyyyy faster. And DJK being more of a key possession type receiver. However, your comparison gives us a different perspective.

Last edited:
Breaston's Michigan career overlapped with Braylon Edwards, Anthony Avant, and Mario Manningham's. I'm not sure if he was ever the number 1 option. With that kind of talent around Breaston, I don't think it's fair to compare his receiving numbers directly with DJK.

Breaston's Michigan career overlapped with Braylon Edwards, Anthony Avant, and Mario Manningham's. I'm not sure if he was ever the number 1 option. With that kind of talent around Breaston, I don't think it's fair to compare his receiving numbers directly with DJK.

Jason Avant is what you mean. He wasn't ever a real big time receiver in college, mainly because of the things mentioned above. He was never THE guy. He was always that catch and run threat and a huge punt return threat. I think he has become a pretty damn good receiver in the NFL now as well. I think the comparison will probably end up being pretty good in terms of the NFL. I don't know about college because DJK has always been a primary target.

Breaston, Edwards, and Avant were the three wide set. Breaston was the speed guy. Edwards was the Number One and Avant was the possession guy. Avant was the killer thorn in the side for the Hawks. He just always came up with the big reception when needed.

Yes, Breaston had more talent around him. As for the Breaston being 'way' faster comment...DJK's receiving average is 14.9 per catch..Breaston's just over 10ypc. DJK has a better KOR return avg.

I don't have a stop watch, but I see what production looks like. DJK is more productive than Breaston was.

Breaston's performance in the 2005 Rose Bowl was over-shadowed by Vince Young's but he was basically unstoppable. However that turned out to be the peak of his career.

IMO, Breaston is much more dynamic than DJK with the ball in his hands but also a guy that disappeared and/or was not used because of the talent at his position. He played with 3 WR that are in the NFL.

DJK has been a very consistant performer basically since the middle portion of his FR season when he became Iowa's #1 option.

Good discussion. I agree with the comparison to a degree. However, I think they were much more similar coming out of high school than at this point in their careers. DJK has developed into a far more physical receiver than I ever remember Breaston being.

Yes, Breaston had more talent around him. As for the Breaston being 'way' faster comment...DJK's receiving average is 14.9 per catch..Breaston's just over 10ypc. DJK has a better KOR return avg.

I don't have a stop watch, but I see what production looks like. DJK is more productive than Breaston was.

Again, that's apples and oranges, as CAAR said. Breaston was never the #1 guy because of the players around him. DJK has been our #1 for going on 4 years. He wouldn't have been the #1 at Michigan with Edwards, Avant, and Manningham there (not to mention Arrington).

The ypc numbers have quite a bit to do with how the two were used. Breaston was very fast, but he was a slot receiver. Edwards and Manningham were the deep threats. DJK plays the deep threat role for us, hence the higher ypc numbers. Breaston did most of his damage on underneath routes, because they didn't need him to be the deep threat.

DJK is probably a better WR than Breaston. He runs better routes. But Breaston is much faster. Breaston is one of the fastest guys in the NFL

As high school seniors...

DJK listed as running a 4.5 40.
SB listed as running a 4.4 40.

Not sure what that is now but Doyle usually makes guys faster.

Jon:

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Breaston is or was waaaayyyy faster. I am saying that is what my perception has always been.

Jon:

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying Breaston is or was waaaayyyy faster. I am saying that is what my perception has always been.

Here is what you posted earlier in the thread: "To me they just both seem like totally different receivers with Breaston being waaaaayyyyy faster."

Here is what you posted earlier in the thread: "To me they just both seem like totally different receivers with Breaston being waaaaayyyyy faster."

He's not waaaaaayyyy faster but he is faster. Breaston ran a 4.37 and 4.41 40 at the NFL combine. I am guessing DJK will be in the 4.5 time. Still fast

Latest posts