DJK & Steve Breaston

I would probably go with Mario Manningham as a comparison over Breaston. Manningham was more of WR than Breaston was a Michigan when he was their deep threat.

Keep in mind that these players discussed ALL have one important thing in common... Erik Campbell. I would think that would pay dividends on the recruiting trail.

Again, that's apples and oranges, as CAAR said. Breaston was never the #1 guy because of the players around him. DJK has been our #1 for going on 4 years. He wouldn't have been the #1 at Michigan with Edwards, Avant, and Manningham there (not to mention Arrington).

The ypc numbers have quite a bit to do with how the two were used. Breaston was very fast, but he was a slot receiver. Edwards and Manningham were the deep threats. DJK plays the deep threat role for us, hence the higher ypc numbers. Breaston did most of his damage on underneath routes, because they didn't need him to be the deep threat.

This argument is ridiculous. DJK didn't become a regular starter until THIS SEASON. Dude has been riding the pine when he is let out of his doghouse.

.....and yet he has led Iowa in receiving 3 straight years, soon to be 4. DJK hasn't been the #1 guy either.

And please keep in mind with Breaston's numbers, he never had Jake Christiansen for a year plus and had to break in a very young Ricky Stanzi, otherwise who knows how big of numbers he would have. DJK has lived up to all the hype and will be an NFL draft pick, much like Breaston.

This argument is ridiculous. DJK didn't become a regular starter until THIS SEASON. Dude has been riding the pine when he is let out of his doghouse.

.....and yet he has led Iowa in receiving 3 straight years, soon to be 4. DJK hasn't been the #1 guy either.

With the way we rotate receivers into the game, being the "starting" WR doesn't mean a whole lot, and neither does NOT being the "starting" WR.

I honestly can't believe that you're saying the guy who's led the team in receiving EVERY YEAR HE'S BEEN HERE hasn't been the primary receiver during that time. Breaston led the Wolverines in receptions ONCE, and never led the team in receiving yards. DJK has led the team in receptions and yards for each of the past 3 years, and is currently doing so for a 4th.

Dude doesn't have to be a starter to be the QB's go-to guy. DJK has proven that.

Jon: I said it was my perception and used the word "seem" to indicate perception. If I meant Breaston WAS faster, I would say he WAS faster. My point was that your OP made me reconsider my perception. Surprised you didn't get that, because that is what I said.

But nice ironic use of a quote.

Last edited:
Jon: I said it was my perception and used the word "seem" to indicate perception. If I meant Breaston WAS faster, I would say he WAS faster. My point was that your OP made me reconsider my perception. Surprised you didn't get that, because that is what I said.

But nice ironic use of a quote.

wow

Breaston was always the #2 or 3 receiver at MI behind Mario Manningham, Braylon Edwards, and even Adrian Arrington. Breaston finished his career as Mi's #1 PR and #1 KR. Nice player to be sure. I can't compare their careers.

I like the comparison a lot. If Breaston:DJK, I would say that Jason Avant:McNutt. Unfortunately, Iowa hasn't had anyone quite like Mario Manningham or Braylon Edwards.

Edit: If you put this symbol : and follow with this symbol D, it turns into this :D. Above should have a colon then a D, rather than that stupid smile.

I think people are getting their Michigan receiving units mixed up. It was Edwards, Avant, and Breaston. Then Manningham and Arrington. Breaston did have one year with the Arrington/Manningham unit, but he was hurt for a lot of it.

I haven't checked times, but my recollection is Manningham was not a burner.

I think people are getting their Michigan receiving units mixed up. It was Edwards, Avant, and Breaston. Then Manningham and Arrington. Breaston did have one year with the Arrington/Manningham unit, but he was hurt for a lot of it.

He was listed at 4.4 on Scout.com, but I don't remember him being that fast either. Perhaps he just didn't play as fast as his time would suggest? I do remember that his speed was consider a weak area when he went pro.

Honestly, I think DJK might be more like Manningham than Breaston. About the same height (Mario was 6'0", DJK is listed at 6'1"), both good route runners with great hands, and both were/are clutch performers. DJK is more physical, but that's because he is about 15-20 pounds heavier than Manningham was.

You are correct. He was somewhat fast, but not exceptionally. His double move was lethal though and that is where he made hay. Perhaps the best double move I have ever seen.

He ran a 4.59 at the combine. It was a major red flag at the time. To put it in persepctive,Todd Blythe ran the same time that year at the combine.

Manningham also had some issues with smoking the green stuff, if I'm not mistaken.

True, but a 4.59 40 time when you're a 6'0" 180 lb WR is hardly something that NFL scouts drool over. Obviously he's very good anyway, but he could have been a mid first round pick if he'd run a 4.45 or faster.

Latest posts