DJK had his Pro Day today

Do we have to go through this discussion again??

No, not all NFL receivers have 4.4 speed.

For example, Jerry Rice didn't have 4.4 speed.
What made Rice an elite NFL receiver was his height, playmaking ability, ability to get open, and work ethic.
I'm not sure DJK has any of those characteristics.

Is DJK a proven route runner?

He was a very good route runner for us. Outside of the elite prospects (A.J. Green, Julio Jones, etc.), he probably runs the best double-move out of any receiver in the class.

Rice was ELITE because of those other characteristics. But nobody's expecting DJK to be elite. I think he'll have plenty of success as a slot receiver, where height and speed are not at near as much of a premium. DJK has always been a great chain-mover for us, especially in crunch time. That will be valued by at least one team out there.

And regarding his work ethic: I have no first-hand experience with his work ethic. But just because he's a little flamboyant doesn't mean he's lazy. T.O. is arguably the most self-centered, big-mouthed receiver in history, but there was nobody who busted their a** harder than he did. He was just a p*ss poor teammate. I don't think DJK is lazy, and he'll learn quickly to saddle up if he's not working hard enough, because the NFL is not a friendly place regarding that sort of thing.

This. His only other option would be to decline being a character reference, which would either tell teams all they need to know, or leave too much to the imagination. Better off giving it to them straight. I think he's going to get drafted regardless.

I still think he will make a roster spot via free agency.

could be a roster spot open with the Colts if Austin Collie retires because of concussions.

He reminds me of Hines Ward. Ex-QB, who is tough and strong,will block well,and is a gamer. DJK gets good separation,always has,and makes clutch catches.
Again, the Bears should grab him in the late rounds,if he is there,as they need all the above.

I'm just sayin' DJK's 'indescretion(s)' has nothing to do with my NFL evaluation of him at WR.

If I were an NFL exec, I wouldn't draft him as a WR. I'd, however, give him a look in FA - He may pan out at some other postion.

edit: An NFL slot receiver is an NFL wide receiver without speed but probably has more playmaking ability and 'getting open' ability to compensate for the lack of speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts