DJ Harvey Chooses Vandy

How did Bryce Drew just flame out there?

He just pulled in the best recruiting class in the program's history but a few of the freshman had injury issues. One being the 5 star PG that got hurt in their 5th game then decided to leave the team and focus on getting healthy/ready for the draft. Tough circumstances but going 0-18 in conference play is nearly impossible to come back from.

Is Vanderbilt really that much worse of a basketball school than Iowa? They got a new coach who is a big name former NBA player. That is a pretty big deal to a young kid. Clearly a bigger deal than last year's record is. As far as Fran recruiting against Stackhouse, we have some kid sample size that's pretty darn small. I doubt you believe that Fran should win 100 out of 100 battles against any decent school so losing one out of one shouldn't be a surprise.

In a few years, if Stackhouse tanks as a coach, kids might quit going there. But right now, all they have is hope and a big name coach. That's a big deal. Especially for a black kid who is drawn to a black coach.

I think Fran should win 1 of 1 battle with Vandy, absolutely.

Here I go again. The hater of conspiracy theories. But what on God's earth would draw this recruit to Vanderbilt over a BT University with a pretty good basketball history who just made the NCAA? Help!!!

I think Fran should win 1 of 1 battle with Vandy, absolutely.

"Should" maybe. But unless it's a school where you're going to win 100 of 100, it's up to the individual kid's priorities who happens to be the 1. One kid who has random priorities we don't know says next to nothing about Fran recruiting against Vanderbilt. Or 2 kids if you want to include LeChance.

I didn't think he would go to Iowa. Vanderbilt in 2018 recruiting class had two five star and a four star recruit. Why would two five star and a four star recruit go to Vanderbilt with their record?

Have you been to Nashville? Did you watch the NFL Draft? That town is dialing up its sports game. And there is a ton of money there.

Come on man. You gotta know that a former NBA player has got to be a pretty big lure for some kids.

Then why in the hell don’t we hire an ex NBA player as our coach??? Or at least an assistant who can recruit. Fran and Gary need to been sent packing.

As much as I know the football program is destined for 7-5 seasons from here to eternity at least Kirk has proven his staff can coach up players to compete in the NFL.

The writing is on the wall for Fran. Everyone and their dog knows the basketball program is going no where. The Iowa fan base has become so indifferent to ever expecting the sports programs to ever becoming anything more than what they now are. Given the money spent on facilities and coaching salaries it’s almost criminal in nature.

I have a question and maybe some of you know, but are the members of the Board of Regents paid for what the do? If so how much? I only ask because apparently they are all cozy and comfortable with the arrangement.

Vandy has reached the NCAA Tournament 8 times since ‘04. Iowa has been there six times in that time frame.

Vandy last reached the Sweet 16 in ‘07. Iowa last Sweet 16 appearance was ‘99.

Should we be monitoring the lifestyle of their recruits and/or any lifestyle changes of the parent’s of the recruits? $$$$$$$$$

Cook and Wieskamp are head scratchers in this enigma. Why did they choose to play fro Fran when they probably had other options that would have placed them in higher profile programs that can compete on a regular basis on the big stage. Is it about playing time in a power five conference?

"Should" maybe. But unless it's a school where you're going to win 100 of 100, it's up to the individual kid's priorities who happens to be the 1. One kid who has random priorities we don't know says next to nothing about Fran recruiting against Vanderbilt. Or 2 kids if you want to include LeChance.

I understand that it is up to individual kids, and I know Iowa can't win all recruiting battles. I simply said this is a fail that when you can't beat a team that totally cratered last year, and has a new coach who has never recruited college kids before. I mean common you don't see that it isn't good to get beat like that when you have been coaching/recruiting college kids for 20-30 years?

I understand that it is up to individual kids, and I know Iowa can't win all recruiting battles. I simply said this is a fail that when you can't beat a team that totally cratered last year, and has a new coach who has never recruited college kids before. I mean common you don't see that it isn't good to get beat like that when you have been coaching/recruiting college kids for 20-30 years?

I see it as one random kid who has priorities I know nothing about. I know it's easy to take one negative from one of the programs (Vanderbilt's record last year) and use it as the sole reason we shouldn't lose that battle, but there are a lot more things for a kid to consider than the record of last year's team.

Then why in the hell don’t we hire an ex NBA player as our coach??? Or at least an assistant who can recruit. Fran and Gary need to been sent packing.

As much as I know the football program is destined for 7-5 seasons from here to eternity at least Kirk has proven his staff can coach up players to compete in the NFL.

The writing is on the wall for Fran. Everyone and their dog knows the basketball program is going no where. The Iowa fan base has become so indifferent to ever expecting the sports programs to ever becoming anything more than what they now are. Given the money spent on facilities and coaching salaries it’s almost criminal in nature.

I have a question and maybe some of you know, but are the members of the Board of Regents paid for what the do? If so how much? I only ask because apparently they are all cozy and comfortable with the arrangement.

I sure wouldn't mind if we did hire a coach like that. But remember, I said it's a sure fire way to recruit good athletes early in their career. Dont confuse that as a sure fire way to win games. Stackhouse could easily be unemployed in 3 years.

Vandy has reached the NCAA Tournament 8 times since ‘04. Iowa has been there six times in that time frame.

I was wondering some numbers on where they were as a program outside last year. Thanks.

Everyone is inaccurate. I don’t know that the basketball program is going nowhere. I expect the basketball program to become more than it is now.

I doubt Vandy making the Sweet 16 when Harvey was 6 or 7 years old factored in his decision making process. Recent history shows that Iowa is without a doubt the superior program.

Last 10 years:

Vanderbilt
Made tourney in 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017
Round of 32 once in 2012

Iowa
Made tourney in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
Round of 32 three of four appearances

I sure wouldn't mind if we did hire a coach like that. But remember, I said it's a sure fire way to recruit good athletes early in their career. Dont confuse that as a sure fire way to win games. Stackhouse could easily be unemployed in 3 years.

I agree that it wouldn’t guarantee anything but man would it be fun to give it a try.

I doubt Vandy making the Sweet 16 when Harvey was 6 or 7 years old factored in his decision making process. Recent history shows that Iowa is without a doubt the superior program.

Last 10 years:

Vanderbilt
Made tourney in 2011, 2012, 2016, 2017
Round of 32 once in 2012

Iowa
Made tourney in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019
Round of 32 three of four appearances

They both made the tournament four times. How is that superior? Because Iowa made the Round of 32 two more times?

If anything, the programs are pretty even.

Iowa lost PG Riley LaChance from Wisconsin to Vandy in '14. He was Ellingson's AAU teammate. Iowa lost F Joseph Toye from Chicago to Vandy in the '15 Class.

Yes. Vandy was terrible last season. They got a new coach with NBA juice who is off to a fast start in recruiting.

Iowa was terrible two seasons ago and has made the tournament once in the last three years.