DIY - Auto and Home weekend warriors

NCHawker

OK gang this official OT thread is dedicated to swapping stories and gathering guidance for do-it-yourself projects.

First If it were not for youtube my wallet would be a lot lighter. I've saved a lot of money doing brake jobs, changing alternators and a water pump.on my cars. I'm studying refinishing my hardwood floors - lots of videos on that. I even fixed my washing machine once.

You can buy auto parts online *OEM and others from rockauto.com.

Home Depot quoted me $7K + to remodel my bathroom (typical 5X7) I did it for about $1k. Tore out drywall, floor, toilet, sink and put in all new drywall, an inset mirror shelf, new sink, new toilet and new vinyl interlocking floors. and new fan and light fixtures.

My projects begin by me swearing for an hour while I try to find my tools. Love to hear what you've tackled and what you do to keep your tools in place in your garage/ / shed.

My wife puts me upto it and I sometimes have to do it. 10 years ago she bought new porcelen tile and told me to put in new kitchen counters and a new sink. I got a buddy to help me - I never liked it. We just tore that out and hand quarts installed (not by me).

I love doing this stuff. Problem is, it looks like I did it. By the time I've completed it, I realize what I could have done better and wish (sorta) that I could do it all over again.

Built a deck
tile around fire place
several laminate floors
bathroom,
wall repairs
towel racks
light fixtures
Re-attach dryer exaust (hate that)
brakes, tire repairs,
new toilets

Last edited:
Hate to blow my anonymity .... I live in Greensboro. That's about halfway between Raleigh and Charlotte

Oh, that's too far from me. I moved down South a few months ago in part to get out of the cold, to escape Illinois taxes and to be closer to my Tide. ROLL TIDE.

OK gang this official OT thread is dedicated to swapping stories and gathering guidance for do-it-yourself projects.

First If it were not for youtube my wallet would be a lot lighter. I've saved a lot of money doing brake jobs, changing alternators and a water pump.on my cars. I'm studying refinishing my hardwood floors - lots of videos on that. I even fixed my washing machine once.

Home Depot quoted me $7K + to remodel my bathroom (typical 5X7) I did it for about $1k. Tore out drywall, floor, toilet, sink and put in all new drywall, an inset mirror shelf, new sink, new toilet and new vinyl interlocking floors. and new fan and light fixtures.

My projects begin by me swearing for an hour while I try to find my tools. Love to hear what you've tackled and what you do to keep your tools in place in your garage/ / shed.

My wife puts me upto it and I sometimes have to do it. 10 years ago she bought new porcelen tile and told me to put in new kitchen counters and a new sink. I got a buddy to help me - I never liked it. We just tore that out and hand quarts installed (not by me).

I love doing this stuff. Problem is, it looks like I did it. By the time I've completed it, I realize what I could have done better and wish (sorta) that I could do it all over again.

Built a deck
tile around fire place
several laminate floors
bathroom,
wall repairs
towel racks
light fixtures
brakes, tire repairs,
new toilets
Read the last section of your post and imagine the chorus of Kenny Chesney's "Get Along"

Re-attaching the dryer exhaust is a once a year job that I DREAD! In my case I have to take to door leading to the garage off the hinges, try to get the hose of a shop vac back there, find a spot on the coil that a clamp will attach to, then attach the hose and clamp to the dryer. Then push the damn dryer back in, put the door back on the hinges, use profanity, hope that don't have to rinse and repeat.

It may be my least favorite household chore. But it sure beats risk of a carbon monoxide incident.

Read the last section of your post and imagine the chorus of Kenny Chesney's "Get Along"

Re-attaching the dryer exhaust is a once a year job that I DREAD! In my case I have to take to door leading to the garage off the hinges, try to get the hose of a shop vac back there, find a spot on the coil that a clamp will attach to, then attach the hose and clamp to the dryer. Then push the damn dryer back in, put the door back on the hinges, use profanity, hope that don't have to rinse and repeat.

It may be my least favorite household chore. But it sure beats risk of a carbon monoxide incident.

Throw some solar panels up and get an electric dryer.

I built some shelves last year out of 2x4s and plywood wooooo! They're awesome though and freed up a ton of space in my basement storage room. I may build more for the garage.
Replaced/rewired a light switch that was failing in my garage a few weeks ago, electrical is scary if you don't know what you're doing (which I didn't).
Have built 3 gaming PCs using youtube tutorials and probably saved 40-45% than one at the store would have cost. Took apart my laptop and soldered on a new AC jack (huge PITA).
Did laminate flooring in my last house too before we sold it.
Built a 130" projection screen/home theater in my man cave using this tutorial link
I would like to add some more to the list but I hesitate because I feel like I'd make things worse, especially don't want to dick around with plumbing or electric

I do a lot of DIY including gardening. The best youtube trick I got was the dash board panel going out of my minivan. Mech's wanted 1200 to fix it. Went to U tube and fixed it in less than 30 minutes with a solder gun at no cost.

I will NEVER pay to have someone repair anything in my home ever again. With the amount of resources available online and a little patience, there is nothing you cannot do yourself. I have updated or fixed everything from floors to walls to roof, electrical repairs, plumbing fixes and HVAC fixes. I have also built several items such as a large two story with wrap around deck treehouse. All with no prior experience and using what I have learned online in addition to using mostly recycled materials for little to no costs. I completely agree with the "I love doing this stuff. Problem is, it looks like I did it. By the time I've completed it, I realize what I could have done better and wish (sorta) that I could do it all over again."

I am now moving on to the auto DIY projects. bought my first used car in over twenty years and my first project of fixing the AC is not going so well. Oh well, at least I will never pay for anything home related.

I will NEVER pay to have someone repair anything in my home ever again. With the amount of resources available online and a little patience, there is nothing you cannot do yourself. I have updated or fixed everything from floors to walls to roof, electrical repairs, plumbing fixes and HVAC fixes. I have also built several items such as a large two story with wrap around deck treehouse. All with no prior experience and using what I have learned online in addition to using mostly recycled materials for little to no costs. I completely agree with the "I love doing this stuff. Problem is, it looks like I did it. By the time I've completed it, I realize what I could have done better and wish (sorta) that I could do it all over again."

I am now moving on to the auto DIY projects. bought my first used car in over twenty years and my first project of fixing the AC is not going so well. Oh well, at least I will never pay for anything home related.
There's plenty I can't do myself! With my luck I would install a toilet and forget that the bathroom door was wedged open behind it.

If you don't believe me, ask my wife.

I did enjoy helping build our new deck five years ago. New ones are more fun to build then old ones are to tear out.

The older I get the less I like DIY projects. Put a heated and tiled floor in my bathroom about 10-12 years ago. Although it works, I really f'ed up the tile part. Now I gotta look at it everyday and it drives me nuts. Keep telling myself I will tear it out and redo one day. But afraid to with heating elements underneath. :(

There's plenty I can't do myself! With my luck I would install a toilet and forget that the bathroom door was wedged open behind it.

If you don't believe me, ask my wife.

I did enjoy helping build our new deck five years ago. New ones are more fun to build then old ones are to tear out.
At least you should be able to just take the hinges off the door and fix that pretty quick, still funny though

I always did it because I like to.
Yeah I have to.
But that doesn't mean that because you have to, you don't want to.
Problem I have is I get bored easy and I'm an asshole.
Sometimes I'm doing what I'm doing and forget to stop for break or lunch. So don't come bitching to me about that. Telling me when to rest, when to eat.
Jesus, I'll eat whenever I friggin feel like it. What is this a Nazi camp?
You sound exactly like that lady at the Davenport zoning hearing.

Built a deck
tile around fire place
several laminate floors
bathroom,
wall repairs
towel racks
light fixtures
brakes, tire repairs,
new toilets

I will try to take on most projects, with one exception: electrical. I'll do it, but only with assistance. I like breathing!

The older I get the less I like DIY projects. Put a heated and tiled floor in my bathroom about 10-12 years ago. Although it works, I really f'ed up the tile part. Now I gotta look at it everyday and it drives me nuts. Keep telling myself I will tear it out and redo one day. But afraid to with heating elements underneath. :(

As one guy said to me, "Tile is a young man's game!"

We moved last year on July 1. Since then I've:
  • Put up shelving in the garage on all three walls. (3 car garage) Also put up a workbench there.
  • Painted and refinished the basement family room.
  • Sold a Franklin stove and repaired the hole in the wall (and foundation) from the chimney pipe.
  • Installed pull-out shelves in our kitchen pantry and kitchen island.
  • Replaced a small 8x8 wood deck with a 20x14 composite deck.
  • Landscaped around the deck to match existing river rock and brick edging.
  • Built a credenza to put a 50" DLP TV on.
  • Landscaped around about six trees in the yard (mulch and edging).
  • Rewired outlets in the garage (half of them didn't work before).
I've also done repair work (engine and fresh water system) on our RV, fixed the A/C on my truck and my daughter's CRV, and a bunch of other simple repairs on all of our vehicles.

I've hired out that I would have done myself in the past (don't want to work that hard at 62):
  • Skinning turf and building a dry rock stream bed (making it easier to mow around)
  • Removed two dead trees in the yard.
  • Poured an extension to our driveway to part our RV on our property.
Still got a number of things to do yet, but the list is getting smaller. (How do I have time to post here?!?!?!)