Ditching a Playoff to Save the Rose Bowl

O

OO44

"But when it comes time for the BCS's committee of university presidents to render a decision on this playoff proposal, the two oldest and most intertwined major conferences of all, the Big Ten and the Pac-12, ought to do something unexpected. They should do the only thing that makes sense for them in this mixed-up, money-soaked, logic-challenged situation.

They need to say no."

BCS: Why the Big Ten and Pac-12 Should Secede - WSJ.com

She's right, you know, that a 4-team playoff would not stay a 4-team playoff.

And once you cross that bridge to a playoff there is no turning back.

I would LOVE it if the BIG and Pac-12 told the SEC and the rest of em to take a hike...let them have their "National Champion" Go back to the BIG champ vs Pac-12 champ playing in the "Grandaddy of them all". It would never happen but it would be awesome if our two conferences put their foot down and stopped the mindless destruction of the greatest sport on earth for the almighty $$.

I would LOVE it if the BIG and Pac-12 told the SEC and the rest of em to take a hike...let them have their "National Champion" Go back to the BIG champ vs Pac-12 champ playing in the "Grandaddy of them all". It would never happen but it would be awesome if our two conferences put their foot down and stopped the mindless destruction of the greatest sport on earth for the almighty $$.

I would endorse this also.

These are the two conferences with the most similar cultures...good academics/athletics mix, traditional fanbases that are not completely out of control like the Texas/Southern Tier schools.

It would render any BCS playoffs strictly a SEC/Texas/OK affair every year and that would get old pretty quickly,imo. Those are basically semi-pro style programs anyway,that do not bother to graduate players.

Between the power of the Big Ten tv audience and the west coast population, a shared programming BTN/PTN program....the Big Ten/Pac 12 union could do just fine,stretching from east coast with PSU to West coast USC...

Then ultimately,if the BCS wants to have their champion play the winner of the Rose Bowl for an overall titleholder...fine.

The playoffs will happen with or without thr Big10 or PAC12. How will your top conference teams feel about not having a chance at the coaches trophy? Suddenly the Rose Bowl wouldn't look like a good thing to an undefeated team.

And then the BoneG and the PAC turn into mid majors because all of the top recruits don't care about the Rose Bowl, major sponsors walk away because no one cares about the Rose Bowl, and come TV contract renewal time, the networks won't care about the Rose Bowl either.

This is a great idea...if we want to be ISU in 10 years.

I love the tradition of the Rose Bowl. I prefer there not be a playoff, but if a playoff is happening, the Big 10 needs to be on that train. The Rose Bowl would still have significance; it would still be a cool trip to take - so I don't see it as the demise of the Rose Bowl game - the fact is, with the BCS system in place, the Rose Bowl game still goes on today even though a National Champion doesn't come out of that game.

Big Ten surrenders fight to bring college football playoff to the Midwest, just to help the Rose Bowl - Yahoo! Sports

If the devotion to the Rose Bowl is as accurate as that article makes it sound, the Big Ten ADs are absolutely crazy. They are willing to ditch campus AND bidded out semi-final games to save the Rose Bowl!!!?? They say they polled to players and they (players) like the bowl experience, yea, of course they do, its at no cost to them and full of free swag! However, they're gonna be gone in 4 years and there the fans will be choosing which game to travel to, the Big Ten Championship, Semi-final Bowl Game or National Championship game. Just crazy that they can't see past the Rose Bowl.

No, Delany is just being smart. He knows there will be a playoff system, but he's not going to crap on the Rose Bowl while it happens. Even after a playoff system is implemented, to continue with a guaranteed slot in the Rose Bowl for the Big 10 is just good business. They can (and will) co-exist. They'll have to, because there's no stopping a playoff now. This writer is living in the past (and faded) glories of Nebraska, and has no idea what the Big 10 is about. His article just proves that point.

I guess I don't see why everyone sees this as all or nothing....I think the perfect scenario is a BIG relationship with the Rose AND involvement in the playoffs. Location of the "playoff" games = not a big deal to anyone except the city chosen and guess what, they are never going to be in Iowa City or Omaha in January, so I don't much care.

Go Hawks, let's surprise some people this year !

If Delaney and B1G officials are willing to throw away the possibility of hosting a semifinal game on campus just to save the Rose Bowl, than they are F'N IDIOTS! A semi final game in Kinnick in December....that would be amazing.
Another idea is have it at a regional site close to the higher seed. So a team like Iowa would play in Indy, St. Louis....etc.

No, Delany is just being smart. He knows there will be a playoff system, but he's not going to crap on the Rose Bowl while it happens. Even after a playoff system is implemented, to continue with a guaranteed slot in the Rose Bowl for the Big 10 is just good business. They can (and will) co-exist. They'll have to, because there's no stopping a playoff now. This writer is living in the past (and faded) glories of Nebraska, and has no idea what the Big 10 is about. His article just proves that point.

Delany's living in the past. In sports, those who move forward grow, and those who look back become irrelevant. Just look at MLB...they try and cling to every stupid tradition they have and sink further into irrelevance.

You can't fight the future. The Rose Bowl is the past. Let it go.

I guess I don't see why everyone sees this as all or nothing....I think the perfect scenario is a BIG relationship with the Rose AND involvement in the playoffs. Location of the "playoff" games = not a big deal to anyone except the city chosen and guess what, they are never going to be in Iowa City or Omaha in January, so I don't much care.

Go Hawks, let's surprise some people this year !

I think the location of the "playoff" games is a huge deal, especially now that we are having a playoff. Without campus or midwest city sites, a Big Ten team is going to be subjected to 2 major road games most likely against teams who will travel a far less distance, not to mention their fans.

Possible scenario...#1 Iowa (think Back to the Future 2) would play semi against #4 USC at the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona, possibly get revenge for BB, and then play the National Championship against LSU (who played semi at Sugar Bowl) at Jerry's World in Dallas, not exactly the advantage other #1 seeded teams recieve in every other sport.

Or...they play semi #1 at Kinnick Stadium and the NC in Dallas, at least they get the advantage in the semifinal, much like the NCAA bball tournament. Are 30k Iowa fans gonna travel to Indy, Phoenix and Dallas over a 4 week span?

The Big Ten ADs can continue with the Rose Bowl and still move for a playoff system that favors the teams, cities, and fans of the Big Ten.

There are many reasons the NFL Playoffs are 100 times better than College bowl games. One reason though is they don't play their games on neutral sites in half empty stadiums like College teams do.
You really want to fly to Pasadena one week and than fly to Miami the following week for the Championship game? Delaney may be powerful but he is not as smart as I thought he was.

Big Ten surrenders fight to bring college football playoff to the Midwest, just to help the Rose Bowl - Yahoo! Sports

If the devotion to the Rose Bowl is as accurate as that article makes it sound, the Big Ten ADs are absolutely crazy. They are willing to ditch campus AND bidded out semi-final games to save the Rose Bowl!!!?? They say they polled to players and they (players) like the bowl experience, yea, of course they do, its at no cost to them and full of free swag! However, they're gonna be gone in 4 years and there the fans will be choosing which game to travel to, the Big Ten Championship, Semi-final Bowl Game or National Championship game. Just crazy that they can't see past the Rose Bowl.

If Delaney and B1G officials are willing to throw away the possibility of hosting a semifinal game on campus just to save the Rose Bowl, than they are F'N IDIOTS! A semi final game in Kinnick in December....that would be amazing.
Another idea is have it at a regional site close to the higher seed. So a team like Iowa would play in Indy, St. Louis....etc.

I think the location of the "playoff" games is a huge deal, especially now that we are having a playoff. Without campus or midwest city sites, a Big Ten team is going to be subjected to 2 major road games most likely against teams who will travel a far less distance, not to mention their fans.

Possible scenario...#1 Iowa (think Back to the Future 2) would play semi against #4 USC at the Fiesta Bowl in Arizona, possibly get revenge for BB, and then play the National Championship against LSU (who played semi at Sugar Bowl) at Jerry's World in Dallas, not exactly the advantage other #1 seeded teams recieve in every other sport.

Or...they play semi #1 at Kinnick Stadium and the NC in Dallas, at least they get the advantage in the semifinal, much like the NCAA bball tournament. Are 30k Iowa fans gonna travel to Indy, Phoenix and Dallas over a 4 week span?

The Big Ten ADs can continue with the Rose Bowl and still move for a playoff system that favors the teams, cities, and fans of the Big Ten.

The B1G screwed up in giving up the fight to have on campus semis...not happy about this one.

Playoff games at on-campus sites were never going to happen. Fans fantasized about the possibility, but when the rubber hit the road and the people who actually make the decisions got the ball rolling, it was a non-starter. Delany didn't sink this just now, it was already sunk.

The B10 tried for home semis and tried for neutral games in the Midwest, and they weren't going to fly. Now they are protecting their other asset. They are playing politics with the hand they were delt.

There are many reasons the NFL Playoffs are 100 times better than College bowl games. One reason though is they don't play their games on neutral sites in half empty stadiums like College teams do.
You really want to fly to Pasadena one week and than fly to Miami the following week for the Championship game? Delaney may be powerful but he is not as smart as I thought he was.

A little different though, those players are getting paid to play and most of their fans are not taking vacations to go to a playoff game in Florida, Arizona, or California. In college football going to a bowl game is a reward for the student athlete as well as the fans. A big reason why the Rose Bowl was formed was due to tourism, and it is the major reason these bowl games exist.

Latest posts