Dispelling the Fleming 3 pt% Myth

wundergrape

While Fleming did shoot in the high 20s% from 3 in AAU ball last year, an Ensworth coach reported to me that he shot "right around 40%" for his junior year of high school. He also listed his high school stats as:

19.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 2.1 assists per game.

He commented that Andrew is extremely excited and that we are "getting a good one".

While Fleming did shoot in the high 20s% from 3 in AAU ball last year, an Ensworth coach reported to me that he shot "right around 40%" for his junior year of high school. He also listed his high school stats as:

He commented that Andrew is extremely excited and that we are "getting a good one".

This is good to hear, Wunder, it would certainly be helpful to have a dangerous team from the three, especially players not reluctant to shoot the three when open. Andrew also seems to be able to quickly take it to the hoop with a lot of tricky moves. He might be hard to stop.....

He appears to be another one of Fran's steals, one with serious potential....

:rolleyes:

Wunder, do you know where to find Fleming's junior year stats online? I can't seem to find them and I'd love to rub them in some troll faces.

They say he made 8 threes in a pick up game while visiting. I believe this completely because of how we defended the 3 ball at the end of the year. Also, that ties what Whitey made the entire season. I'll take him

So he shot 40% in high school, against lesser competition, and shot 20%-30% in AAU, against better competition.

At one point, he had offers from Florida and Ohio State, too. They are not in the business of offering 20 percenters, nor is Iowa for that matter.

In the Press-Citizen article they gave his stats for last season and indicated he shot 28% from the arc.

When his coach says...''around 40%''....well, that could mean 28%.

I think he is probably somewhere in between as a shooter. Lets see how he does at Oak Hill next year. They are on ESPNU 4 or 5 times each season so we will get to see him for ourselves, and see how he matches up against top talent. Oak Hill plays like 45 games a season, with many of them against bad local competition,but a fair number against the top prep schools in the country, so we should get a good idea of his game.

I just hope he get plenty of playing time at Oak Hill....they have a deep roster.

At one point, he had offers from Florida and Ohio State, too. They are not in the business of offering 20 percenters, nor is Iowa for that matter.

Fleming lived in Florida, his parents attended Florida, and he was a top 50 prospect as a 6'3'' 8th grader.
Now he is a 6'4'' 11th grader....who probably did not grow as much as Donovan projected when he showed interest years ago.

I highly doubt he had viable offers from Florida, and OSU has already indicated he did not have an offer from OSU either. They had interest, but no offer. When they got Grandstand from Texas, a top 30 recruit, they cancelled the visit with Fleming.

Bossi and local AAU coaches have indicated he never struck them as a high division one player, but they could be wrong....lets hope so.

His % in the EYBL is a matter of record not a myth. However it doesn't mean he isn't a good shooter or hasn't improved.

Fleming lived in Florida, his parents attended Florida, and he was a top 50 prospect as a 6'3'' 8th grader.
Now he is a 6'4'' 11th grader....who probably did not grow as much as Donovan projected when he showed interest years ago.

I highly doubt he had viable offers from Florida, and OSU has already indicated he did not have an offer from OSU either. They had interest, but no offer. When they got Grandstand from Texas, a top 30 recruit, they cancelled the visit with Fleming.

Bossi and local AAU coaches have indicated he never struck them as a high division one player, but they could be wrong....lets hope so.

Is that why Oak Hill Academy accepted him?

Why would anyone care what Bossi, or some local AAU coaches think? Matta and Donovan obviously didn't care, as Uncle said, Oak Hill Academy didn't care. You think Matta is gonna settle for some slouch if Grandstaff goes elsewhere? Not a chance as tons of players have yet to commit. Fleming looked to be his backup plan to the #30 rated player. Donovan as well, it seems like he was Donovan's 1A/B choice as he had an offer til another kid committed.

How quickly we all forget that Ulis was like Kentucky's 3rd or 4th choice at PG, does that mean we shouldn't have wanted him? I don't understand some on these boards. They think they can scout a kid by watching a 3 min highlight video......that is just crazy.

When did Bossi say this?

Your going to hear a lot of crap on these boards. There is no reason to think Fran would of offered him a scholarship if they didn't think he was worthy. He had a lot of other offers too.

In the Press-Citizen article they gave his stats for last season and indicated he shot 28% from the arc.

When his coach says...''around 40%''....well, that could mean 28%.

I think he is probably somewhere in between as a shooter. Lets see how he does at Oak Hill next year. They are on ESPNU 4 or 5 times each season so we will get to see him for ourselves, and see how he matches up against top talent. Oak Hill plays like 45 games a season, with many of them against bad local competition,but a fair number against the top prep schools in the country, so we should get a good idea of his game.

I just hope he get plenty of playing time at Oak Hill....they have a deep roster.

If someone notices that he will ne on espnu, please report it on here. Would like to see him play.

He doesn't have as smooth-looking 3 shot as Jok or Ellingson but he can still shoot. Look, Memphis, Bruce Pearl-led Auburn and UNLV all offered so the kid can play.