Disappointing Season

I assumed the thread starter was being sarcastic but apparently not.

It would only be a disappointing season to me if we bow out early in the NCAA tourney. We are ranked #5 in the country, made the semifinals of the BTT for the first time in forever, are a lock to get a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, and had guys break several longstanding Iowa records. This season has been anything but disappointing.
I think it is reasonable to expect a great eight finish this season if the rankings and seeding is correct. Getting past Gonzo may be impossible. Let’s hope Gonzo gets upset and we get to the great eight and play someone else. Gonzo is just better than we are even if we had Nunge still.

Its funny cause those 87-88 and 88-89 teams would easily beat the pants off this years team. Not understanding how good we are, is a personality trait.
Now 1989, there was a disappointing season. Sporting News had us ranked preseason # 1. Then we lost two key reserves got the season. Then our sixth man missed two months. Then we finished 10-8 in the conference. Then we lost a key starter to academics on the eve of the NCAA'S. Then we didn't survive the first weekend.

If that isn't the definition of disappointing I don't know what is.

A little early to make such a pronouncement. Let's see how the next couple of weeks go.
Doesn't matter. No matter when our season ends were going to get the requisite "lights were too bright" posts, "can't have nice things" posts, "can't come through in the clutch" rants, and the usual rants criticizing Fran, Connor and JBo.

To those who are tempted. Your attempts are feeble, obnoxious, and reveal more about yourself than the team or individuals you are going to trash. You exist on the boards of every team in this conference, so don't think you are trying to be original or funny. Its not a cathartic release either; it shows nothing more than an immaturity toward handling losing.

This team has shown its resolve many times this year. It is one we had better enjoy watching while we still can. If a regular season ending ranking of #5 and an NCAA two seed, in this league this year, is even remotely considered disappointing then there isn't much that can be done to help at this point. If that's how people steel themselves for the inevitable then, I guess, go ahead and knock yourself out. Just realize how dumb it looks.

Doesn't matter. No matter when our season ends were going to get the requisite "lights were too bright" posts, "can't have nice things" posts, "can't come through in the clutch" rants, and the usual rants criticizing Fran, Connor and JBo.

To those who are tempted. Your attempts are feeble, obnoxious, and reveal more about yourself than the team or individuals you are going to trash. You exist on the boards of every team in this conference, so don't think you are trying to be original or funny. Its not a cathartic release either; it shows nothing more than an immaturity toward handling losing.

This team has shown its resolve many times this year. It is one we had better enjoy watching while we still can. If a regular season ending ranking of #5 and an NCAA two seed, in this league this year, is even remotely considered disappointing then there isn't much that can be done to help at this point. If that's how people steel themselves for the inevitable then, I guess, go ahead and knock yourself out. Just realize how dumb it looks.
Thank you.

For what the expectations were.

In my opinion, it was a disappointing season for what the expectations were. I just think we did not have the athleticism and the quickness of other top teams. We still managed to have some good wins and kept our #5 ranking. I think the greatest accomplishment we had this year was finishing the season ranked #5. In my memory that is the best any Hawkeye Basketball Team has ever finished in the rankings.

That being said I feel that the they didn't always show up to play their best or show they wanted to win. Now I know even the best teams will not play their best every game, and I know that some of the best teams will take a night off and not show the discipline and will to want to win. With that I say the Hawks seemed to show up to games on many occasions as if they did not want to give that 110% that makes a team truly great. In my opinion they did not seem to come out like abandon to win the game or set the tone right out of the gate in tin to start most game. Yes they did this on occasion but many more times then not they seemed to come out lackadaisical or mailing it in or as if they had just ate dinner 10 minutes before the game.

All that being said it was a great season. Lets see how they do in the NCAA's.
Great team. Great regular season.
This team will be remembered by how they do in the Big Dance.

according to Sports Reference (a great website), this is the strongest Iowa basketball team ever, and it’s not even close.

Depends on how it ends. I can't imagine reasonable people going that direction if we battle it out with Gonzaga for the Final Four and come up short. On the other hand...if we get knocked out in the second round...who could blame 'em. They'd have a point.

BTW, not sure if you realize it but your leap to that conclusion before it ever happens...is not that different than the very thing you're criticizing.

Let 'em play it out! Then we'll reflect and assess. This is the most promising and exciting post-season for IOWA basketball in 20+ years...why taint it before it even starts?

GO HAWKS!

Depends on how it ends. I can't imagine reasonable people going that direction if we battle it out with Gonzaga for the Final Four and come up short. On the other hand...if we get knocked out in the second round...who could blame 'em. They'd have a point.

BTW, not sure if you realize it but your leap to that conclusion before it ever happens...is not that different than the very thing you're criticizing.

Let 'em play it out! Then we'll reflect and assess. This is the most promising and exciting post-season for IOWA basketball in 20+ years...why taint it before it even starts?

GO HAWKS!
Reasonable people won't go that direction.

But not everyone on this board is reasonable.

3 teams. We were the 7 overall seed. Ohio state was 6, Michigan 4, and Illinois 3 so in the end we ended up 4 in conference really.

This is like the old podcasts hearing Jon say we finished 3 in the conference but we were the 5th seed. If you beat those teams and got the 3 seed you were third place but if you lost the tie breakers you were fifth. Weird rankings this year but we are not a top 5 seed and we won't be ranked in the top 5 tomorrow. I'd love to talk like Jon Miller does but I gotta be real and not sweet talk it to seem a bit better than it really is.

Happy with the year but not totally satisfied. Not losing the 7 point lead to the crappy Gophers and taking one from Indiana would have been better.

How happy I will be really comes down to this tourney run.
Ohio State passing us since my post reinforces my point even more. It's being called the toughest conference ever. As far as tie breakers go, they matter for conference tournament seeding. That's all they matter for.

Ohio State passing us since my post reinforces my point even more. It's being called the toughest conference ever. As far as tie breakers go, they matter for conference tournament seeding. That's all they matter for.
This conference has teams ranked in KenPom's top 50 that are on the outside looking in at the NCAA'S. This is absolutely one tough conference.

I think it is reasonable to expect a great eight finish this season if the rankings and seeding is correct. Getting past Gonzo may be impossible. Let’s hope Gonzo gets upset and we get to the great eight and play someone else. Gonzo is just better than we are even if we had Nunge still.
The rankings and seeding are correct. I saw them on ESPN.

I’d like another shot at them. And hope that Fran has the foresight and the ‘nads to more fully utilize our more athletic subs.

I support VT's notion in that it is a disappointment in the sense that if it all ended today....Iowa would have no hardware to show for it. But, the NCAA tournament is still out there. So, the ultimate grade is incomplete. But, they get an F from me (for future Program Building) if they don't get to at least the Sweet 16 relative to expectations. Fran would ultimately get a C from me on the year because he would be meeting my minimal expectations of having his program in the NCAAs 3 out of every 4 years.

Three out of 4 is your *minimal* expectation? Wow!

You may or may not know this (if you do know it, then props to you for setting your sights high), but I took a look at how the current Big Ten teams have fared in the 35 seasons spanning from 1985 (when the tournament went to 64 teams) through 2019.

To make the tournament 3 out of every 4 years, that would mean making it 26.25 times in 35 seasons. Number of Big Ten teams to achieve that over that era? One. Michigan State.

Here are the totals showing how many times each program has made The Dance over those 35 seasons:

3 out of 4 or better:
===============
Michigan State 30 (this is 85%, so better than 4 out of 5, actually)

2 out of 3 or better:
===============
Purdue 26
Indiana 25

1 out of 2 or better:
===============
Illinois 22
Wisconsin 22
Maryland 21
Michigan 21
Ohio State 20
Iowa 18

Also-rans:
========
Minnesota 12 (a little better than 1 out of 3)
Nebraska 7
Penn State 4
Rutgers 2
Northwestern 1

Iowa is good for closer to a "1 out of every 2" hit rate over that period.

As far as a Fran breakdown goes, in the 25 years between 1985 and 2009 (pre-Fran), Iowa made it 14 times (56% of the time). Fran from 2010 through 2019 only made it 4 times, so 40%. But, he would have made it last year and we obviously made it this year, so he has raised his hit rate to 6 out of 12, which is right about what the program has historically achieved.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Iowa basketball has had some fleeting moments of glory but, historically, we've been a bottom half to bottom third Big Ten team. That doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't aspire for more, just saying it's a tough row to hoe.

Three out of 4 is your *minimal* expectation? Wow!

You may or may not know this (if you do know it, then props to you for setting your sights high), but I took a look at how the current Big Ten teams have fared in the 35 seasons spanning from 1985 (when the tournament went to 64 teams) through 2019.

To make the tournament 3 out of every 4 years, that would mean making it 26.25 times in 35 seasons. Number of Big Ten teams to achieve that over that era? One. Michigan State.

Here are the totals showing how many times each program has made The Dance over those 35 seasons:

3 out of 4 or better:
===============
Michigan State 30 (this is 85%, so better than 4 out of 5, actually)

2 out of 3 or better:
===============
Purdue 26
Indiana 25

1 out of 2 or better:
===============
Illinois 22
Wisconsin 22
Maryland 21
Michigan 21
Ohio State 20
Iowa 18

Also-rans:
========
Minnesota 12 (a little better than 1 out of 3)
Nebraska 7
Penn State 4
Rutgers 2
Northwestern 1

Iowa is good for closer to a "1 out of every 2" hit rate over that period.

As far as a Fran breakdown goes, in the 25 years between 1985 and 2009 (pre-Fran), Iowa made it 14 times (56% of the time). Fran from 2010 through 2019 only made it 4 times, so 40%. But, he would have made it last year and we obviously made it this year, so he has raised his hit rate to 6 out of 12, which is right about what the program has historically achieved.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: Iowa basketball has had some fleeting moments of glory but, historically, we've been a bottom half to bottom third Big Ten team. That doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't aspire for more, just saying it's a tough row to hoe.
Yes, I think Iowa should be shooting for 3 out of every 4 years. They don't have to be a high seed in all of them (would be nice) but being NCAA worthy. That would be my standard. Mr. Davis had Iowa in the NCAA 9 out of 13 years. He basically accomplished this (his last 5 years he was 3 out of 5...so slightly under the mark, but had a Sweet 16 to finish).

I don't think that is asking to much. Those are interesting stats, but I do think Iowa should be aiming for that standard.

Of course, if they were to dip a bit and be say 2 out of every 4 years, but those years included deep runs in the tournament....that would even things out.

Last edited:
Yes, I think Iowa should be shooting for 3 out of every 4 years. They don't have to be a high seed in all of them (would be nice) but being NCAA worthy. That would be my standard. Mr. Davis had Iowa in the NCAA 9 out of 13 years. He basically accomplished this (his last 5 years he was 3 out of 5...so slightly under the mark, but had a Sweet 16 to finish).

I don't think that is asking to much. Those are interesting stats, but I do think Iowa should be aiming for that standard.

Of course, if they were to dip a bit and be say 2 out of every 4 years, but those years included deep runs in the tournament....that would even things out.
We are just in a brutally tough conference for basketball. You can easily count 8 programs that are (and should be) better than Iowa. Fran has done a great job of competing with those programs in 8 of the last 9 years. He's made the tournament in 6 out of the 8. The two he didn't we were first 4 out one year and a tanked year the other.

Disappointing season? Are you kidding me?! Please disappoint me like this every year!

If they bomb out next week I will be crushed. But to judge the whole season on how/when it ends in that final loss? In the NCAA Tourney where weird shit happens EVERY year and great teams fall short of expectations? Nope.

It has been a great season! Thank you Hawks! Now for some icing on the cake please!

Which is exactly why I wanted the B1G title this year.

We are just in a brutally tough conference for basketball. You can easily count 8 programs that are (and should be) better than Iowa. Fran has done a great job of competing with those programs in 8 of the last 9 years. He's made the tournament in 6 out of the 8. The two he didn't we were first 4 out one year and a tanked year the other.
This is a really accurate and fair assessment. Fran is a damn good coach. Is he a "Mt. Rushmore of Iowa Basketball" level coach? As it stands right now, I would say no - he's just below that level. If something really special happens in the tournament, ask me again. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy having a damn good coach that has us consistently punching above our weight AND doing it cleanly. We've got a lot to be proud of and Lute Olsons don't grow on trees.

The very opposite of a disappointing season:

This has been a magical season, something that relieved the pressure from the coronavirus.
The Hawks provided thrills the entire season.
It is not ofter that the Hawkeyes are ranked #5 in America at the end of the season. We are not done yet. It will be a drastic relief to play a team, any team, not in the Big Ten. The season is beyond brutal, especially this season.

They used to call the Missouri Valley The Valley of Death, the Big Ten is and has been several
levels above that. This has been a landmark year for Fran and the Hawkeyes, who are in the
same class as the very best Hawkeye teams ever:

Bucky O'Connor's Fabulous Five team that went to the Final Foor back to back in 1955/56
and played against Bill Russell for the National Championship in '56.

Ralph Miller's 1969/70 team that won the Big Ten, averaging over 100 points a game before the
three-point shot. They went to the Sweet Sixteen and should have won the Championship.
Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson went on the win World Championships frot the
Seattle Supersonics along with Jack Sikma, who inspired Luka Garza.

Lute Olsen's team that went to the Final Four and came within a vicious foul on Ronnie Lester
from going to the Championship Game. They were beating The Doctors of Dunk with Darrell Griffith.

Mr. Davis Davis's first team, loaded with NBA players, Roy Marble, Eddie Horton, BJ Armstrong,
Kevin Gamble, Brad Lohaus, along with Al Lorenzen and Gerry Wright, Sir Jamalot. which went
to the Elite Eight and lost a heartbreaker to UNLV.

This team is as good as those teams and has a chance to make waves in The Dance this year.
Luka Garza is a player we will not see for a long time again, if ever. Watching his development
along with his teammates has been exhilarating, and will never be forgotten.

The Hawks were fatigued against Illinois yesterday. The game against Wisconsin took its toll.

They are a very tough hard-nosed team who play a very physical game. Luka played 38 minutes in the game and was exhausted in the Illinois game. Cockburn is a Beast and Luka quickly became fatigued. He couldn't play him closely because we needed him in the game. He played 34 minutes and still scored 21 points and had 12 rebounds against Cockburn who only played 24 minutes. We really needed Jack Nunge who handled Cockburn very well in the game in Champaign.

The entire team was fatigued from the start of the game. Illinois is one of the quickest, most talented teams in the country and deserving their #4 rank, just as the Hawks deserve their #5 rank and Will be a 2 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Both teams could
meet again in The Final FFour.
I like your sentiment here, but Lester went down with that knee on a no-contact play in the Louisville game. Unless you were referring to when he was originally injured. I don't recall the circumstances there.