Disappointing Season

VTHawk

For what the expectations were.

In my opinion, it was a disappointing season for what the expectations were. I just think we did not have the athleticism and the quickness of other top teams. We still managed to have some good wins and kept our #5 ranking. I think the greatest accomplishment we had this year was finishing the season ranked #5. In my memory that is the best any Hawkeye Basketball Team has ever finished in the rankings.

That being said I feel that the they didn't always show up to play their best or show they wanted to win. Now I know even the best teams will not play their best every game, and I know that some of the best teams will take a night off and not show the discipline and will to want to win. With that I say the Hawks seemed to show up to games on many occasions as if they did not want to give that 110% that makes a team truly great. In my opinion they did not seem to come out like abandon to win the game or set the tone right out of the gate in tin to start most game. Yes they did this on occasion but many more times then not they seemed to come out lackadaisical or mailing it in or as if they had just ate dinner 10 minutes before the game.

All that being said it was a great season. Lets see how they do in the NCAA's.

Last edited:
When this season started I want sweet 16 that would be a good year. We have came back a long hole ten years ago. We don't play great defense but better. We do have some younger kids that play hard nose defense.so next year it will be fun . but fran we another big.

I was hoping for the whole enchilada but I also realize that we’re having a good if not great year. Part of the problem is that the BIG is probably as good or better than it’s ever been. If we play our best and get some favorable bounces and officiating who knows maybe we win it all.

I was hoping for the whole enchilada but I also realize that we’re having a good if not great year. Part of the problem is that the BIG is probably as good or better than it’s ever been. If we play our best and get some favorable bounces and officiating who knows maybe we win it all.
It's extremely unlucky (and classic Iowa) that the conference is the best conference in recorded history during the year we finally have a great team. I could easily invision a scenario where Cockburn, Ayo, and Livers went pro and Dickenson went to a different school. Iowa runs away with the conference title then. It was a bad break. We played a 1 seed four times this year.

We lost a likely NBA player in Nunge who was really starting to get his feet under him. That being said...you are playing in a conference where you have 4 teams in the top 9 or something like that. Our schedule was also tough...on the road at Michigan and Illinois...although we didn't play them twice.

The loss at Minnesota was completely on Fran...zoning and allowing Johnson to go 8-9 from three was ridiculous...he finished the season at 25% from three. The two Indiana losses were kind of, well...just bizarre to me. We just didn't play well against them. Everything else...well...that's just what playing in a tough conference was all about.

You beat Ohio State and Wisconsin badly on their own floor...and go 14-6 in the toughest conference in the country by far...even after losing your vital 6th man back up center who was playing really well.

That's hardly disappointing. We beat a senior laden Wisconsin team three times this year. Hell, that alone makes a successful season.

You know what else was successful about this season. You got to see what the future looks like. Ulis, Perkins, the Murray Twins, and Patrick Mac. Throw in Toussaint and Nunge...we ain't dropping off too much and the athleticism gets rachetted up in a big way.

Last edited:
Good grief. We finish 5th in the country in the toughest conference in the nation and will enter the NCAA’s as a 2 seed. If this was not one of the half dozen best seasons in Iowa history, I will resign as a Hawk fan. And we have a Fox News type headline that the season was a “disappointment.” Not for me it wasn’t. Probably not for 95% of Hawk fans.

I assumed the thread starter was being sarcastic but apparently not.

It would only be a disappointing season to me if we bow out early in the NCAA tourney. We are ranked #5 in the country, made the semifinals of the BTT for the first time in forever, are a lock to get a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, and had guys break several longstanding Iowa records. This season has been anything but disappointing.

Hard to call the best season in 35 years disappointing. Further proof that some fans will literally never be happy. It's a personality trait.

Its funny cause those 87-88 and 88-89 teams would easily beat the pants off this years team. Not understanding how good we are, is a personality trait.

I assumed the thread starter was being sarcastic but apparently not.

It would only be a disappointing season to me if we bow out early in the NCAA tourney. We are ranked #5 in the country, made the semifinals of the BTT for the first time in forever, are a lock to get a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament, and had guys break several longstanding Iowa records. This season has been anything but disappointing.

We shall see.

Titled "Disappointing Season" and includes "all that being said it was a great season"

OK........guess that about covers it.
It's a disappointing season in regards to expectations. It was still a great season though. Not too difficult to understand for most.

Good grief. We finish 5th in the country in the toughest conference in the nation and will enter the NCAA’s as a 2 seed. If this was not one of the half dozen best seasons in Iowa history, I will resign as a Hawk fan. And we have a Fox News type headline that the season was a “disappointment.” Not for me it wasn’t. Probably not for 95% of Hawk fans.
Easy on the FOX comparison. Their vile, lies and hate probably cost many Americans their lives over the past year.

This

Not disappointing. Started #5, finished #5, NCAA tourney will tell the rest of the story. I have enjoyed most of the year, though I did swear at the TV yesterday, a few times, only cause I hate those cocky shits from Illinois, and maybe a few times when we lost to Indiana twice.

Here is my perspective (and I hope I don't have to re-state it).

I think Iowa is a good to very good team. I now think Iowa has earned their Top 10 ranking. I did not always think this year Iowa was a Top 10 team.

That said, Iowa (Fran) is flurting with the possibility of having their best team in years (Fran's best team), in year 11, and having no hardware to show for it.

Regular Season Big Ten Title: Gone
BTT Title: Gone
NCAA Tournament: Iowa will be there with a high seed (and high national ranking)

This season is so far a disappointment (but more than acceptable), but not a failure. But, if Iowa does not make it to at least the Sweet 16, with absent Big Ten Hardware, it will be a failure. But, although a Sweet 16 is a step in the right direction in moving the program forward.....I would also say at the same time it is a red flag if they can't advance to the Elite 8. This is Fran's best team with the best player in college basketball and if they can't get into the Elite 8 (with a Top 5 ranking) I'm not sure when it will ever happen.

For greater building of this program, they need the Elite 8 or better now. And if Fran wants to be in the same discussion as a Lute (or Mr. Davis) he needs the top end accomplishments. So far, he has none.

Fran sure as shit better get his team out of the first weekend and buckle down in that Sweet 16 game!!!! I'm mean seriously, no fucking around here. No under achieving, no excuses. Play up to your fucking ranking.

Beyond that, they are going to need to play the perfect game and hope the other team is off.....because against the Top 4 teams in the country Iowa is a loaded Camry going against a Ferrari.

Last edited:
Only thing I am disappointed in is that Carver couldn't be packed with fans. There is criticism of the atmosphere in Carver and it is warranted. I just think Carver would have been rockin this year similar to the second half of the 05-06 season. I will take it a step further and say they win the OSU game by feeding off the energy of the crowd.

Middle finger to Covid I guess.

The very opposite of a disappointing season:

This has been a magical season, something that relieved the pressure from the coronavirus.
The Hawks provided thrills the entire season.
It is not ofter that the Hawkeyes are ranked #5 in America at the end of the season. We are not done yet. It will be a drastic relief to play a team, any team, not in the Big Ten. The season is beyond brutal, especially this season.

They used to call the Missouri Valley The Valley of Death, the Big Ten is and has been several
levels above that. This has been a landmark year for Fran and the Hawkeyes, who are in the
same class as the very best Hawkeye teams ever:

Bucky O'Connor's Fabulous Five team that went to the Final Foor back to back in 1955/56
and played against Bill Russell for the National Championship in '56.

Ralph Miller's 1969/70 team that won the Big Ten, averaging over 100 points a game before the
three-point shot. They went to the Sweet Sixteen and should have won the Championship.
Downtown Freddy Brown and John Johnson went on the win World Championships frot the
Seattle Supersonics along with Jack Sikma, who inspired Luka Garza.

Lute Olsen's team that went to the Final Four and came within a vicious foul on Ronnie Lester
from going to the Championship Game. They were beating The Doctors of Dunk with Darrell Griffith.

Mr. Davis Davis's first team, loaded with NBA players, Roy Marble, Eddie Horton, BJ Armstrong,
Kevin Gamble, Brad Lohaus, along with Al Lorenzen and Gerry Wright, Sir Jamalot. which went
to the Elite Eight and lost a heartbreaker to UNLV.

This team is as good as those teams and has a chance to make waves in The Dance this year.
Luka Garza is a player we will not see for a long time again, if ever. Watching his development
along with his teammates has been exhilarating, and will never be forgotten.

The Hawks were fatigued against Illinois yesterday. The game against Wisconsin took its toll.

They are a very tough hard-nosed team who play a very physical game. Luka played 38 minutes in the game and was exhausted in the Illinois game. Cockburn is a Beast and Luka quickly became fatigued. He couldn't play him closely because we needed him in the game. He played 34 minutes and still scored 21 points and had 12 rebounds against Cockburn who only played 24 minutes. We really needed Jack Nunge who handled Cockburn very well in the game in Champaign.

The entire team was fatigued from the start of the game. Illinois is one of the quickest, most talented teams in the country and deserving their #4 rank, just as the Hawks deserve their #5 rank and Will be a 2 Seed in the NCAA Tournament. Both teams could
meet again in The Final Four.

Last edited:

Latest posts