Disappointed

Let me weigh in and see if it makes a difference.

028e3730e6e4ecc7fca7389601d39341_original.gif

Disappointed - Yes

Surprised - No

(I reserve the right to be disappointed with/ call out a/ make critical comments towards a coach who is making 5 million a year plus bonuses for being average and consistently flops in the meaningful games of a season)

Many people on here are not true Hawkeye fans.
"True Fans", man that is subjective as hell. Can you be a "true fan" and still have subjective assessments of your team? Or do you have to say "aw shucks, we'll get 'em next time" after every loss? This from a poster who called a high school player a "traitor to the state of Iowa" for not choosing Iowa. So keep your definition of what a "true fan" is to yourself. I'm not a perfect "fan" but I've bleed black and gold since 1981, sat through the humiliating losses and cheered the biggest wins. I've spent more money than I could afford to go to games and save a vacation day every year for a hoped-for bowl game. I do watch other football teams, played high school football, and have some knowledge of the game. When I see things I don't like from the coaching staff to players playing below minimal expectations it will become subject to discussion. That's why this board exists, along with discussing everything Hawkeye. If you want to cheerlead and paint everything with rose-colored glasses join the PR dept. at the University. I am a "fan" of the Iowa Hawkeye's, now whether I'm a good fan or a bad fan, that's up for debate.

I'm disappointed people feel they have the right to define what makes a fan and claim that they're a better fan than others. Holier than thou, condescending pricks is what that makes those people.

I travel 50 hours a year on average to go to Iowa games. I spend about $5k a year on tickets, lodging, food and drink, going to IC with my family and more on Hawkeye swag that I wear to work in enemy territory every week. I have a Hawkeye tattoo.

My Apple Watch tells me my heart rate is high without recent physical activity during every Hawkeye game.

Does that make me a better fan than the OP? No, because its a total jackass move to tell someone they're not a fan or not a good enough fan, or not the right kind of fan. It means I'm a fan. It means I care deeply. It means I'm emotionally invested.

Am I too emotionally invested? Don't care and its not YOUR business to tell me I am. Does caring too deeply actually make me a bad fan? Don't care and its not YOUR business tot tell me I'm a bad fan. How screwed up is it tell someone who cares MORE than you that they're not a fan? Very screwed up IMO. I don't tell people who clearly care less than I do that they aren't a fan.

Last edited:
I guess one thing I've learned over 40 years is that Iowa is never as good as I think they are when they win a big game, and never as bad as I think they are when they lose one.

Iowa has 4 big games left. Tons of people were predicting 7-5 or 8-4 before the season began. They certainly have a chance to exceed that. This team matches up with Purdue reasonably well. Just......gotta.....play.....better!

Many people on here are not true Hawkeye fans.

LMAO!! I’m a true fan and willing to bet 90% of people on this site are. If your definition of a “true fan” is defined by being mindnumbingly positive (like you), sorry to disappoint you but that isn’t how 90% of true fans acts. Trust me!!

To the disappointed OP better grow some thick skin if you want to post with us big boys and “True Hawk” fans!! What happened this last weekend and Happy Valley was a complete meltdown from players to a player to the coaches.. A mentally strong teams wins that game 9 out of 10 times...

Last edited:
If this team is any good we should have two big games left. Calling Illinois and Nebraska big games with where those teams are at must mean Iowa is pretty mediocre.

ALL games are "big" at this point. Huge difference between 10-2 and 8-4, and even dropping to 9-3 means, "Citrus Bowl is best-case" vs. "10-2? We could be looking at NY6 if things fall our way!"

If this team is any good we should have two big games left. Calling Illinois and Nebraska big games with where those teams are at must mean Iowa is pretty mediocre.

They are big in the sense that we must win them and absolutely should win them. I agree that there are two "good" teams left on the schedule, no question.

Not in the team. I'm disappointed in posters, and people on Twitter. Teams lose games, not players. Y'all want to win championships, root for Bama.. Most y'all didn't listen to the real shitty Iowa teams before Fry!

Disappointed in HN posters? Don't let the vocal minority get you down. I remember the Iowa teams of the seventies, and if social media was around then, well, it would have been suicide watch every week...there was a reason John's grocery sold more beer than anywhere in the midwest...it was the only way you could watch that product.

Despite all the garbage you have to deal with on this board...for the most part I look forward to sifting through the thousands and thousands of posts looking for that one nugget of football insight. They are out there, you just have to work for it and we all know that hard work is the most rewarding work of all.

So, when you come to the board and you feel the KF haters sodomizing you into oblivion...remember one important fact that will carry you through...Brian Ferentz will soon be the new head coach. It's what keeps me going.

Disappointed in HN posters? Don't let the vocal minority get you down. I remember the Iowa teams of the seventies, and if social media was around then, well, it would have been suicide watch every week...there was a reason John's grocery sold more beer than anywhere in the midwest...it was the only way you could watch that product.

Despite all the garbage you have to deal with on this board...for the most part I look forward to sifting through the thousands and thousands of posts looking for that one nugget of football insight. They are out there, you just have to work for it and we all know that hard work is the most rewarding work of all.

So, when you come to the board and you feel the KF haters sodomizing you into oblivion...remember one important fact that will carry you through...Brian Ferentz will soon be the new head coach. It's what keeps me going.
Quite some time ago there was a thread about head coaches to replace Kirk when he retired. I submitted Mark Stoops. It took a while but he has Kentucky in the top ten in the nation! Your cannot call that school a football institution.

I guess one thing I've learned over 40 years is that Iowa is never as good as I think they are when they win a big game, and never as bad as I think they are when they lose one.

Iowa has 4 big games left. Tons of people were predicting 7-5 or 8-4 before the season began. They certainly have a chance to exceed that. This team matches up with Purdue reasonably well. Just......gotta.....play.....better!

Hey ChosenChildren, what percentage of posters on this site do you think even know the meaning of your username/screen name?

I have followed the Hawks for 40+ years, and have seen the great, the good, the "meh", and the bad, sometimes all in the same game! I get that we are passionate about this team, I get that we are Hawkeyes through and through, but I don't get how some fans wants to dictate how the rest of us should cheer or criticize our team. I agree that calling out a particular player with venom and hatred is uncalled for and should be stopped ASAP, but criticism of bad play...well, sorry, but it ain't going away! Over the last year, since I started posting, I have come to look forward to reading what all of you have to say and think about the upcoming games. There are some very knowledgeable people on this site, and I admire the intensity of some of you in the way you deliver our opinions. There are many ways to support the Hawks, and by no means is my way the best of the bunch, but its who I am, and its what I will continue to do, in rooting for the Hawks.

Not in the team. I'm disappointed in posters, and people on Twitter. Teams lose games, not players. Y'all want to win championships, root for Bama.. Most y'all didn't listen to the real shitty Iowa teams before Fry!

I'm pretty sure fans around the water jug at work or down at the local watering hole were complaining about those teams as well. It's that in this day in age there is such a larger platform to bitch in, unfortunately.