Disappointed in fans

More students need to be in the stands. Even indiana's student section last Saturday had more spirit.I've said it before and I'll say it again. Iowa's student section is among the worst in the B1G and D1 football in general. Get off you butts and get to the games!

I've never understood the people complaining about the police. I've never had an issue and the people I've seen have issues deserved it. I'm no saint either. I've been blackout drunk more than I care to admit in Iowa City during gameday, but because I know how to handle my alcohol and not act like a complete moron I don't have any trouble. Seriously... you get caught up in the environment. One thing leads to another, a game of flippy cup gets busted out, and bam next thing you know you're walking into the stadium *********. Just don't be an idiot. It really isn't that difficult.

With that said, I have baby #1 on the way and I feel like an old man because I'd rather not drive from Des Moines, deal with all of the people and traffic, and remind myself to be responsible enough that I can safely drive home. I'd much rather watch it on my big screen from my own living room, drink and eat what I want, as much as I want, not have to worry about my own or anyone else's safety because drunk people are driving when they shouldn't be, and if I get a little sleepy I can pass out in the comfort of my own bed with my smokin hot wife.

I guess I'm just to that point in my life. I'd rather be home, and I really don't feel guilty about it. I've had my fun at the games. Sure I'd like the Hawks to have a big crowd to play in front of, but obviously it doesn't bother me enough to get off my own *** and go.

LOL ... ol Rush direct and to the point

Love "educational authors" like the one who started this thread

almost as good as the BS one yesterday supporting the racist crap at Missouri

LOL if there was on OT board Mr Sharpton you'd still be getting destroyed today.

Going to every home game is time consuming and expensive.

Instead, I have found I can pick out a couple games that I want to attend and get tickets for less than face value. A couple games a year gives me enough of my Kinnick fix. At this point with a couple young boys, it will be more about giving them the Kinnick experience.

For the other games, I'm just as happy sitting in the comfort of my home. The other thing that's nice about being home is being able to watch the other games.

I know I'm preaching to the choir. I always was proud that Iowa had one of the best/loudest fan bases in college sports. This is something I don't know if I can be proud of anymore. To hear that the Purdue game will most likely not sell out is unfathomable, UNFATHOMABLE! Think of all that may be on the line... A chance to play for the program's best start in school history (irregardless of what happens in the Minn. game), a chance to clinch a shot at the Big Ten championship, a chance to take another step closer towards a potential national championship. Not to mention Senior day. It is entirely possible that there may not be another chance to see an Iowa team with this much to play for this late in the season in your LIFETIME... This is the first time its happened in over 100 years and there is no guarantee that we'll be here again in a long while.

I've been living on the west coast for 15 years, lived in Iowa as a child and I've never had the opportunity to go to Kinnick. I considered spending dollars I don't have to fly out... Watching an Iowa game with empty seats for me is like a starving person watching a fat kid take a bite of a filet mignon and throwing the rest out. Ok, I'm overstating things a bit, but it does make me angry. Am I missing something? Say it ain't so Iowans!

I know season tickets sales were down this year, but how are all these people not coming back?

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...ilable-senior-day-purdue-gary-barta/75467850/

Please don't shame other fans over something you're not willing to do yourself.

You guys are making me feel guilty!! : )

I'm kind of in the middle and wish I had the problem of trying to decide whether to get season tx.

I live in NWIA 5 1/2 hours away from Coralville (my 8 yo and I always take the train), so season tickets don't really make sense for me. No matter what time the games are there's always one night in a motel (sometimes 2 nights), 2 or 3 meals, $100 minimum in gas, and the price of the tickets themselves, but we still try to hit 2 games a year. For me, that's trying to support the Hawks as much as I can and making sure my son gets to experience Kinnick while he's young.

What I try to do is rather than spending $1,500- 2,000 a year for so-so season tickets, those couple games we go to a year I splurge on awesome seats. For the Maryland game we were in 128, row 2 and had a blast. The first time we went to Kinnick together and sat that close I thought my kid was going to have a heart attack. The Maryland game he actually grabbed a picture with T. Smith and VDB. Then he gets to go to school and be the envy of all his buds. I'd rather fork over some bucks for that experience than spend an entire tax return to sit way up top in 101. I don't know, it's kind of a middle ground where it makes financial sense and we still get to see the Hawks. I still probably spend $1,000 a year and sometimes I'm tempted to just stay home, but to me it's worth it. Hopefully my kid gets some good memories too.

If I lived where some of you guys do we'd definitely get season tickets, but for us one game eats up an entire weekend.

I recently just bought a new 55" Sony Bravia because our Samsung was having fits. I bought the HD TV for roughly $848, which would have been about two games for my family of 4. Oh, and I get to enjoy the TV for the rest of the year.

Every game would be equivalent to purchasing a new 48" Samsung 1080 HD TV.

I agree and am fine with hitting 1-2 games a year for the experience, especially for my 8 yr old boys.

I've never understood the people complaining about the police. I've never had an issue and the people I've seen have issues deserved it. I'm no saint either. I've been blackout drunk more than I care to admit in Iowa City during gameday, but because I know how to handle my alcohol and not act like a complete moron I don't have any trouble. Seriously... you get caught up in the environment. One thing leads to another, a game of flippy cup gets busted out, and bam next thing you know you're walking into the stadium *********. Just don't be an idiot. It really isn't that difficult.

With that said, I have baby #1 on the way and I feel like an old man because I'd rather not drive from Des Moines, deal with all of the people and traffic, and remind myself to be responsible enough that I can safely drive home. I'd much rather watch it on my big screen from my own living room, drink and eat what I want, as much as I want, not have to worry about my own or anyone else's safety because drunk people are driving when they shouldn't be, and if I get a little sleepy I can pass out in the comfort of my own bed with my smokin hot wife.

I guess I'm just to that point in my life. I'd rather be home, and I really don't feel guilty about it. I've had my fun at the games. Sure I'd like the Hawks to have a big crowd to play in front of, but obviously it doesn't bother me enough to get off my own *** and go.

You just never witnessed the bad times then. The days of the great tailgating crackdown of 2010 were merciless. My friend's pregnant wife almost got ticketed for drinking an N/A beer on the sidewalk. N/A = Non alcholic by the way. The cop was writing up the ticket before another cop stopped him.

I got threatened/harassed by a cop for taking an empty beer can from the dental lot across the street to throw it in our recycle bin. I was even carrying the can upside down and was holding it upside down when the police stopped me.

One of my best friends was thrown out of Kinnick right before the game started for yelling "go hawks" and giving a random person a high five on the way to our seats. That same friend was thrown in the kinnick stadium drunk tank (yes it exists) a couple games later for doing the same thing.

Make no mistake....the crack down on tailgating a few years back really crushed the tailgate scene in Iowa City. To their credit, they are attempting to ease up on the restrictions. 2 years ago they basically stopped giving open container tickets out. Every game last season I walked from finkbine to Kinnick with 2 open beers and nobody said a thing. They are trying to fix the problem and the stigma, but most of the damage has already been done.

You just never witnessed the bad times then. The days of the great tailgating crackdown of 2010 were merciless. My friend's pregnant wife almost got ticketed for drinking an N/A beer on the sidewalk. N/A = Non alcholic by the way. The cop was writing up the ticket before another cop stopped him.

I got threatened/harassed by a cop for taking an empty beer can from the dental lot across the street to throw it in our recycle bin. I was even carrying the can upside down and was holding it upside down when the police stopped me.

One of my best friends was thrown out of Kinnick right before the game started for yelling "go hawks" and giving a random person a high five on the way to our seats. That same friend was thrown in the kinnick stadium drunk tank (yes it exists) a couple games later for doing the same thing.

Make no mistake....the crack down on tailgating a few years back really crushed the tailgate scene in Iowa City. To their credit, they are attempting to ease up on the restrictions. 2 years ago they basically stopped giving open container tickets out. Every game last season I walked from finkbine to Kinnick with 2 open beers and nobody said a thing. They are trying to fix the problem and the stigma, but most of the damage has already been done.

I was there in 2010. I guess I just didn't personally witness anything that I believed to be too obnoxious, but it certainly sounds like the things you saw would fit that category. I'm certainly not trying to suggest those things didn't happen at one time, but with the number of times I've been at games I've never seen any ridiculous behavior or unfair treatment by the cops. So let's say 2010 was a bad year... that was 5 years ago. They've backed off since then. I don't think it's a valid excuse anymore as to why you don't want to attend the games. I'm not judging people for not going to games. I've canceled my season tickets for other reasons so I don't have any room to talk in that regard. I just think it's dumb when I hear the old cop excuse.

More students need to be in the stands. Even indiana's student section last Saturday had more spirit.I've said it before and I'll say it again. Iowa's student section is among the worst in the B1G and D1 football in general. Get off you butts and get to the games!

Have you been to any games this year? The student section has been awesome. Are the numbers down a bit? Yes. So are the general public ticket nubmers. But the ones that show up have been loud this year. I expect a very loud stadium on Saturday.

Have you been to any games this year? The student section has been awesome. Are the numbers down a bit? Yes. So are the general public ticket nubmers. But the ones that show up have been loud this year. I expect a very loud stadium on Saturday.

I have no problem with the students that go. I'm talking about the students that don't fill up the student section.

the southwest corner of kinnick should be busting at the seams every home game.

First of all, l I have had season tickets for 10 years and We pay 350-400 depending on the season. We park by the old art building on the other side of the hospital. Yeah we walk about a mile to the game but its a nice stroll for last thoughts and comments amonst friends on the wat. Not once have we ever paid a dollar let alone 700 dollars for a parking spot. Thats 100 bucks a game and if your truely paying that i am sorry to tell you but you are getting straight robbed.

We paid a donation the first year we got tickets and have yet to donate since. Also you go to a bar are restaurant are you not going to pay a premium for your food and drinks? We all split the cost of food and beer and its way cheaper than gping somewhere to watch the game a t a restaurant. The road games where i go to a restaurant to watch a game i spend 30-40 bucks easy. For food and drink before the game to split is 12 bucks tops. That differnce there covers the differnece in gas costs. Overall our costs prolly come to 550-600 for the year.

I get that it takes a whole day, but it does for those clown fans too and they are selling out games w a super crappy team for 3 straight years. That is brutal!!

Sorry but the attendance has been embarrassing this year. I get it the first few games w low low expectations but at this point not selling out is absolutely unexpetable. If you are contemplating going...GOOOOO! An undefeated senior will more than likely never ever happen again. Go Hawks and keep this train a moving. 9-0, 10-0, 11-0. 12-0. Who knows!!

I have no problem with the students that go. I'm talking about the students that don't fill up the student section.

the southwest corner of kinnick should be busting at the seams every home game.

I was more responding to your "Indiana students had more spirit" and "Iowa has one of the worst student sections in the B1G" comments. Probably an exaggeration by you but way way way false.

I used to love the November games. With heavy winter coats, there never was a problem getting a six-pack into the game. Then you would go out at half-time & bring in six more beers. The fans were great. When an usher, security or a cop started up or down an aisle the fans would start yelling "cop, cop, cop" etc. You just put the beer down. Even if the authorities caught you drinking a beer all they did was confiscate it.

First of all, l I have had season tickets for 10 years and We pay 350-400 depending on the season. We park by the old art building on the other side of the hospital. Yeah we walk about a mile to the game but its a nice stroll for last thoughts and comments amonst friends on the wat. Not once have we ever paid a dollar let alone 700 dollars for a parking spot. Thats 100 bucks a game and if your truely paying that i am sorry to tell you but you are getting straight robbed.

We paid a donation the first year we got tickets and have yet to donate since. Also you go to a bar are restaurant are you not going to pay a premium for your food and drinks? We all split the cost of food and beer and its way cheaper than gping somewhere to watch the game a t a restaurant. The road games where i go to a restaurant to watch a game i spend 30-40 bucks easy. For food and drink before the game to split is 12 bucks tops. That differnce there covers the differnece in gas costs. Overall our costs prolly come to 550-600 for the year.

I get that it takes a whole day, but it does for those clown fans too and they are selling out games w a super crappy team for 3 straight years. That is brutal!!

Sorry but the attendance has been embarrassing this year. I get it the first few games w low low expectations but at this point not selling out is absolutely unexpetable. If you are contemplating going...GOOOOO! An undefeated senior will more than likely never ever happen again. Go Hawks and keep this train a moving. 9-0, 10-0, 11-0. 12-0. Who knows!!

I think most are aware that there are much cheaper options than dropping $700 for a parking spot (oh and we always got 4 of those spots). You obviously don't put a value on the things that our group valued. No biggie everyone spends money differently. We were aware of the cost, and for us it was worth it. We were within a stones throw of the stadium, and we could all come in from different parts of Iowa at different times and be guaranteed our spots together. Not everyone wants to roll in park in the boonies and walk a mile. Some of us want to tailgate in the shadows of Kinnick and be near all the sights and sounds around the stadium.

I think most are aware that there are much cheaper options than dropping $700 for a parking spot (oh and we always got 4 of those spots). You obviously don't put a value on the things that our group valued. No biggie everyone spends money differently. We were aware of the cost, and for us it was worth it. We were within a stones throw of the stadium, and we could all come in from different parts of Iowa at different times and be guaranteed our spots together. Not everyone wants to roll in park in the boonies and walk a mile. Some of us want to tailgate in the shadows of Kinnick and be near all the sights and sounds around the stadium.

Agreed. I was paying 5K for an RV spot right next to practice field/stadium. But we enjoyed it and it was cheaper than an OWI. We could spend the night in the lot and pack up Sunday or late Saturday night. Can't do that any more. Now they kick you out a few hours after the game and the IC cops get you at the road blocks.

I wonder if we would be having this conversation if we were losing? I have had season tickets for 10 yrs. and had to talk wife into getting them this year.If you can afford them great,if you can't I understand,when kids were growing up and getting into sports we stopped going to the games because of activities and the cost.After they redo the North end zone and take some seats away people will start complaining because it is a sell out and they can't get a seat.Catch 22 Darn if we do,Darn if we don't.Go Hawks

I'd like to see more students in the stands also but this generation of students lead a much more sedentary lifestyle that they just don't want to put out much physical effort for anything. It's everywhere. When I was in my 20's I go to my folks's place for holidays. After we'd eat a big meal I'd sit back and watch the grandparents lean back in their chairs and take a nap. Those of us who were younger would go out and play football. Now after a big meal it's the kids who sit back and take a nap. Nobody offers to help with dishes. It's pathetic. I don't mean to rail on younger people. There are certainly some young people who are really great people. When I was young there were some kids overweight but 90% were pretty fit. Parents have gotten lazy and it really started with my generation. Parents have let technology babysit their kids and to many parents are more concerened with being friends with their kids rather than being parents. We're not raising kids, we're raising adults and it's child abuse if you don't prepare your kids for adulthood. Sorry about going off but I just had to get it off my chest.

The stadium has been almost filled. At the Maryland game there were some empty seating just in the upper S end zone more corners. Not bad.

It's just too expensive. I could pull it off and go when I was single, but that all changes once you have a family. Now I would feel guilty going alone so if take the wifey & our two boys (who luv f-ball), your looking at least $300 for one game. For my instance, the family changed everything. We go to 1-2 games a year. The economy has been down or volatile and raises have not been keeping up with inflation.

Another point is that if you have kids that are very active, when are usually their games/events? Unfortunately Saturday. Might not be exactly during the game, but before or after. Regardless, if you went to the game you couldn't pull the timing off.

So, for families, two deal breakers are the cost and family obligations for a Saturday. Times have changed.

The price point has been established - especially for seats that require no donation.... the most expensive seats have still been sold out on a season ticket basis. There is still a waiting list for suites/indoor-outdoor club seats.

We are North End Zone season ticket holders, empty nest. These 7 Saturdays are tailgating (cheap food & drink), thoroughly enjoy seeing people you may only see those 7 days, the pregame/game/entertainment value, don't pay for parking, don't need to get hammered to have a good time. Anywhere in Kinnick puts you closer to the action than a corresponding seat in any other B1G stadium.

Compare the 7 Saturdays v. 4-5 concerts, tickets an MLB / NFL weekend - all comparable.... I personally can't imagine not being in the stadium to watch the Hawks... PR dept still has to do more to make the Non-donation fan feel like they are missing something not being in Kinnick.

will be interesting to see what happens to the price point after this great season, a team that will be top-10 ranked preseason next year w/ a home schedule of ISU/Wis/Neb/Mich.....

Latest posts