Disagree with Ross....ISU is not our Superbowl and should be looked at that way.

Move the game to the week after the Nebraska game. Then it still means something but both teams know what they have. That's what the SEC teams do...Georgia playing GT...etc.

Iowa has won 22 of the last 32 , the average margin of all 32 games is Iowa plus 13. This is the Hawkeye State! The clown football program is a joke. Just get out there and crush them!

My Iowa State friends are counting this the Iowa game as a Win. Yep, we are lumped in with UNI, Toledo, Kansas, Texas Tech, and some think they can beat KSU to get to 6-6 and have a glorious bowl season. Others really drinking the Kool Aid (Ames Water, Hooray!) believe 7 is very possible. My point is, that every Iowa State fan I know is certain they will beat Iowa this year. That is insulting, but they may be right.

Clown fans are absurd to think that they can win 6 games or beat Iowa. When will they learn to lower their expectation to a reasonable level for clown football? Maybe 2 wins for the season, and to lose to Iowa by less than 30. That sounds reasonable.

It could be argued that this year should be close to a superbowl for Ferentz. Will be really tough to right the ship with a loss to ISU, plus the fans will be absolutely rabid after that one.

I'm an ISU fan and I think ISU loses this game BTW.

Iowa has won 22 of the last 32 , the average margin of all 32 games is Iowa plus 13. This is the Hawkeye State! The clown football program is a joke. Just get out there and crush them!

I don't think too many people are complaining about Fry being able to beat ISU. You look at Ferentz's time here vs. Iowa State you get a losing record (7-9) and essentially a FG difference (in Iowa's favor) when looking at the series as a whole.

To compartmentalize your somewhat cherry-picked statistics...

16 years under Fry:
Record: 15-1
Avg score: 37-14 Iowa

16 years under Ferentz:
Record: 7-9
Avg score: 21-18 Iowa

I prefer to look at the bigger picture so I start earlier in the series. When a head coach starts or finishes is irrelevant to the point I am making. It is that the clown football program stinks as compared to Iowa in the "modern era". They have won 2 bowl games to Iowa's 12. Iowa has won 22 head to head match ups to 10. Iowa's overall wins probably double those of the clowns in the modern era too. I am just making the point that the clowns have stunk for a long time, and longer than 16 years

If ISU were Kansas St., TCU or Baylor once dogsh!t programs that turn the corner and figured it out then KF's 7-9 record would be acceptable. But it is ISU, it is a garbage program, the fact that Ferentz has struggled, has a 7-9 record, it is just flat out embarrassing. The 2014 loss is just unacceptable on so many levels I can't even describe it.

Being from a geriatric generation I have lived life without ISU on the football schedule. The terms and conditions under which the series was restarted was never in the interest of the U of I. As such I shall go to my Urn spurning the decision to resume the series.

Thinking big picture ISU is a member of a power five football conference, but of the 65 teams it sits about 64th in the pecking order. There are some programs in non-power five conferences that are easily their equal or better. For a game to be "SUPER" it has to have ramifications. There are none.

Exactly. I can't stand any "Super" reference placed on this game. State Super bowl, ISU Super Bowl, whatever......There is absolutely nothing at stake, but bragging rights for a few living in Central Iowa. KF has lost to ISU so much I do not think that even matters any more.

No other team loses to them on a consistent basis but Kansas.

UNI beats them more frequently than Iowa.

Kirks teams have never been properly motivated for anyone but a few "name" opponents.

He used to be able to squeak by on a huge talent advantage more often but would still take teams loaded with future pros and lose to teams with few if any pros.

Now with average talent, we get this.

I've given up, it's been this way for ten years but to many still don't want to except it.

Kansas is 10-9 against ISU since the big 12 started in 1996. I am too lazy to check your UNI stat but am guessing Iowa has won more than UNI also.

As far as this season goes, this is the Hawkeyes Super Bowl. I'm borrowing this from the podcast, but a win and a 4-0 start builds confidence and helps the teams psyche. A loss and it spells trouble for team the rest of the way mentally.
I'll give a real life example from my life. When I was in high school, our football team was never super talented. We traditionally had a losing record, but we hired a new coach and the culture changed. People were finally held accountable for their off season work (or lack thereof) and their performance. There was a lot of optimism coming into the season. Not that we could make the playoffs or anything, but that we could win 4-5 games and be competitive every week. I don't want to sound like a loser, but that would have been a hell of a step for the program at the time. Anyway, we looked at the first two games of the season against teams we typically beat and figured we'd beat them. We lost both. Our season never recovered. People still gave effort and tried, but mentally after those two losses it felt like the writing was on the wall. How were we going to realistically win games in the district if we lost two games to teams that wouldn't have won more than a game or two in the district we were in? We finished 1-8. Things did change for our school in the coming years, but not in time for us.
Because of the negative momentum of the past few years, a win in 2015 versus Iowa State is essential if there is any hope of getting the program trending upwards. So yes, for 2015 at least, this is our Super Bowl.

That said, as long as this game is played (which I think we should be scheduling other opponents instead of ISU to get our brand in other markets and beating them does not help from a national perspective, but losing to them certainly hurts our brand) from a state pride prospective and being the top dog in your state, it should be a very important out of conference game. Iowa should be passionate about this game, but I'm still of the belief if Iowa brings their A game and with their facilities and talent overall top to bottom compared to ISU, Iowa should not be losing this game on such a frequent basis. ISU is a poor opponent and we should never hold them to the exact same level they hold us to (unless ISU's brand ever starts winning their conference and being a winning program).

This is an opponent that you practice for the whole week that you just can't wait (and expect to) kick the crap out of them Hayden style (no let up) and then go home representing you are the top dog in the state.

The X factor in all of this is coaching preparation. Instead of tossing hand grenades at them, use our nuclear weapons in this games (ok maybe we don't have nukes, but we have a missle launcher at least). Last year is good example of this. No reason to hold back in this game. I will give ISU this they are not exactly Walden Years bad, but they are still bad.

No ISU is not our Superbowl. It just a bad opponent that a Big Ten team like Iowa should put away on regular basis.

Agree ISU is NOT our Super Bowl. As a matter of fact based on KF's lack of interest in the game we lose regularly.....he gets out coached almost every year even when we win. His "take the foot off the gas and milk the clock" against lesser opponents like ISU every year or Nebraska last year is pathetic and not worthy of a $4M/yr. paycheck. Dude you better be 150% engaged every damn week and motivate your players.

IMO PHil Parker has gotten away with being a very very mediocre Defensive coordinator now for entirely too long. Maybe when we give up 35+ to ISU, Nebby and Minnesota again this year someone will start asking questions. Until then KF will be satisfied with his vanilla offense claiming that it's just simple flaws in execution...not because we run plays the fans can tell what's coming on almost every play. The turn over in the coaching staff has been some of the wrong turn over. I'm just waiting until we get embarrassed by PurDon't and then maybe Barta will wake the hell up.

Agree ISU is NOT our Super Bowl. As a matter of fact based on KF's lack of interest in the game we lose regularly.....he gets out coached almost every year even when we win. His "take the foot off the gas and milk the clock" against lesser opponents like ISU every year or Nebraska last year is pathetic and not worthy of a $4M/yr. paycheck. Dude you better be 150% engaged every damn week and motivate your players.

I agree with your comment except the bolded part. I believe that if a player at the NCAA level needs the coach to motivate him, that player is a failure. That player should be able to self-motivate to even be at that level. When I played D3 basketball, Buzz Levick didn't give the motivational speeches. He told us at the beginning of the year if he needed to motivate one of us then that player would soon be on the bench.

Latest posts