Disagree with Ross....ISU is not our Superbowl and should be looked at that way.

HaydenHawk56

That said, as long as this game is played (which I think we should be scheduling other opponents instead of ISU to get our brand in other markets and beating them does not help from a national perspective, but losing to them certainly hurts our brand) from a state pride prospective and being the top dog in your state, it should be a very important out of conference game. Iowa should be passionate about this game, but I'm still of the belief if Iowa brings their A game and with their facilities and talent overall top to bottom compared to ISU, Iowa should not be losing this game on such a frequent basis. ISU is a poor opponent and we should never hold them to the exact same level they hold us to (unless ISU's brand ever starts winning their conference and being a winning program).

This is an opponent that you practice for the whole week that you just can't wait (and expect to) kick the crap out of them Hayden style (no let up) and then go home representing you are the top dog in the state.

The X factor in all of this is coaching preparation. Instead of tossing hand grenades at them, use our nuclear weapons in this games (ok maybe we don't have nukes, but we have a missle launcher at least). Last year is good example of this. No reason to hold back in this game. I will give ISU this they are not exactly Walden Years bad, but they are still bad.

No ISU is not our Superbowl. It just a bad opponent that a Big Ten team like Iowa should put away on regular basis.

Last edited:
I felt similarly (to the OP) until last year's loss. The way things stand it's best to do what it takes even if it means circling the isu game. Once we've put them away a few times and reestablished ourselves as a contender at least in the west division, I am happy to go back to not caring about isu.

We did not hold back against them last year. We both sucked, they just sucked less in the second half.

i feel that about Northwestern. I am tired of NW sneaking in come from behind wins too often against Iowa. I want Iowa to blow out NW the same way they did last year.

Being from a geriatric generation I have lived life without ISU on the football schedule. The terms and conditions under which the series was restarted was never in the interest of the U of I. As such I shall go to my Urn spurning the decision to resume the series.

Thinking big picture ISU is a member of a power five football conference, but of the 65 teams it sits about 64th in the pecking order. There are some programs in non-power five conferences that are easily their equal or better. For a game to be "SUPER" it has to have ramifications. There are none.

ISU should never become our superbowl. They win because KF refusesto get the teams fired up for a rivalry game. Playing not to lose costs us games every year. Saying ISU is a power league school disguises what they really are. CBS sports just released it's 1-128 power rankings and ISU was ranked 100. I believe they're ranked to high. Under Kirk's regime we have been pathetic against them. When Hayden Fry prepared the team for this game we saw what should be happening with KF.

I felt similarly (to the OP) until last year's loss. The way things stand it's best to do what it takes even if it means circling the isu game. Once we've put them away a few times and reestablished ourselves as a contender at least in the west division, I am happy to go back to not caring about isu.

The hawks did put them away easily in 09-10 and won in 08. Three in a row or maybe four in a row. and the hawks were winning big 35-3 and 35-7, big time. then the wheels fall off with that triple OT loss and the debacle in 2012 (one of worst KF games I ever saw).

Last year was just terrible the way we manhandled them in 2013. When Phil Parker said after that game that they should have been more aggressive I thought "Jeezus H Crist, why do you play soft against a really bad team, stupid"

We did not hold back against them last year. We both sucked, they just sucked less in the second half.

Incorrect, the Dee Line did not try to penetrate but instead tried to contain. Phil Parker admitted afterwards their game plan was not to be aggressive, jeez.

The ISU game was exciting the first renewal game even though the game was boring.

I would take a big ten win over an ISU win every time. Who would you rather beat Mich and OSU or ISU?

in 2002 we lost one game but I will take that 8-0 big ten championship if I had to lose a game.

Perhaps you missed the game. We refused to throw downfield despite that being a big weakness of their D. Even Marvin McNutt tweeted during the game. "Just throw the ball downfield!!!!'.

and this, "Incorrect, the Dee Line did not try to penetrate but instead tried to contain. Phil Parker admitted afterwards their game plan was not to be aggressive, jeez."

There's no better coach in the game at keeping a lesser opponent in the game, than Kirk "play not to lose" Ferentz. Last year's ISU game was a classic example...as is his record against ISU.

Last edited:
No other team loses to them on a consistent basis but Kansas.

UNI beats them more frequently than Iowa.

Kirks teams have never been properly motivated for anyone but a few "name" opponents.

He used to be able to squeak by on a huge talent advantage more often but would still take teams loaded with future pros and lose to teams with few if any pros.

Now with average talent, we get this.

I've given up, it's been this way for ten years but to many still don't want to except it.

Never thought I would look at the schedule and think "man we really gotta beat Iowa State this year" and have doubt that we could get it done.

If you treat a rivalry game as "Just another game on the schedule", then you're going to lose more often than not, unless your talent is far superior and you can impose your will, which honestly isn't that often with Iowa. To me, this goes a long way in explaining KF's 7-9 record in this series.

2009-10 comes to mind as exceptions. Earlier 2000's as well, despite the loss to them in 2002, but I blame that one on turnovers. And ISU wasn't such a bad team that year.

Latest posts