Dienhart: Q&A with Greg Davis

HawkeyeHypnosis

Dienhart: Q&A With Iowa’s Greg Davis « Big Ten Network

Here's the Q&A part of article:

Q: When fans sit down to watch Iowa this season, what can they expect to see?

A: When I first started visiting with Kirk, he told me that I had done this a long time and that I had done a lot of different things. And I told him that I tried to do what our players could do. I had never run zone-read until a guy named Vince Young showed up. We tried to capitalize on his unique skills. Colt McCoy was one of the most accurate passers in the history of the game. We tried to capitalize on his skills. Going back to 1998, with Ricky Williams, we were primarily a two-back team. My philosophy is to always take what you have and make sure that is where your focus is.

Q: What did you work on this spring?

A: They have done a great job here over the years running the zone and various stretch plays and those kind of things. We want to continue to be able to do that.
We want to be able to get into two backs and come down hill. We want to get into two tight ends and do some things. We also want to be extremely proficient with the pass. We want to do some no-huddle stuff but we don’t intend to become a no-huddle team. We did work on it this spring quite a bit. The kids liked it. That will be a part of every game plan. How much we use it will depend on who we are playing and different factors.
It won’t be something drastically different where we are in empty (backfield) for 30 snaps. We have a real good line, good tight ends, solid backs, we will try to let the playmakers make plays. We do want to play at a faster tempo when we choose to and create some problems, and we do want to play with multiple personnel groups.

Q: Does James Vandenberg remind you of any other quarterbacks you have worked with?

A: I coached Gary Kubiak at Texas A&M, Eric Zeier and Mike Bobo at Georgia, Major (Applewhite), Chris Simms … the think these guys have in common is No. 1, they love the game. James has a passion for the game. He has a passion for understanding it. Every day, if we met at 2:30, I would go in at 2:15 to set up and write on the board, he would be in there already asking me questions.
He’s an extremely accurate thrower. He can make all the throws. There’s a lot of similarities. Intelligence, arm quickness and those kinds of things are common traits among the guys I have had that have been really good players.
So, to say he reminds me of one guy I have coached, I can’t really do that. There is a common thread that jumps out to me about good quarterbacks, and James certainly has them.

Q: Where were you at when Kirk first called you about your interest in the job?

A: I was at my house in Colleyville, Texas, outside of Dallas. Kirk called and asked if I had interest in the job and I said I did. He was trying to do background on several guys and it went from there.
Joe Philbin, the new head coach of the Miami Dolphins, was a G.A. for me at Tulane a long time ago. Over the years, we have stayed in touch. I had him come speak at Texas. Through Joe I met Ken O’Keefe, who came to Texas once to talk ball with us. And we played Iowa in the Alamo Bowl (2006). I met Kirk there and met him again in New York at another awards function. I kinda knew him but didn’t know him.
When Ken decided to go to the Dolphins (to join Philbin), Joe and Ken recommended me. And Kirk called Jim Caldwell (former Colts head coach), an Iowa guy, and he spoke highly of me.
So, I was in my living room (when I got the call). Hung the phone up and told me wife it was Kirk. He wanted to know if I had interest, and I said I did. From there, things moved quickly.

Q: How are you at receiver?

A: We aren’t where we need to be in terms of foot speed. We have to improve in that area. They had begun to address it. But there are good tight ends, good solid running backs.
We will work with what we have (at receiver). I think Kevonte Martin-Manley had a really good spring for us. Really was quick to pick things up. He will predominately be a slot back for us. Keenan Davis was doing really well but had a hamstring pull and missed six practices in the middle. He came back to his credit and played because he wanted to be involved. I am encouraged by that. Don Shumpert and Steven Staggs had solid springs, too. But we need to improve the speed on the outside.

Q: What did you do with your year away?

A: I tried to stay involved. I went to Florida, Auburn and Iowa State. At some places, I (worked at some clinics). Others were just visits. In the fall, I went to Tulane where my son coaches. Then I visited my good friends Larry Fedora and Blake Anderson, who were at Southern Miss and now are at North Carolina. I sat in on meetings as they installed things. In the season, I would watch a high school team practice and visit with coaches. On Saturdays, I would watch a few games and tape others and would watch them later in the week and would make notes to see how people did things.
It was fun. I think I became a better coach because of it all. You can back off and see how other people do things.

Q: Do you still talk to Texas coach Mack Brown?

A: Sure. I was with him 18 years. He’s one of the great guys in the business. I’m sure Kirk and he talked about me during the process. We remain friends.

Oh what Irony.....KOK went down there to talk ball (seemingly to pick their brain and improve) and then recommended him.....that can’t be good. KOK never did anything good and he certainly wasn’t interested in learning anything new….

We can only hope GD is a different coach than KOK. If anything KOK got more predictable and conservative with his personnel. Hell he almost ignored the TEs after Moeaki graduated.

Oh what Irony.....KOK went down there to talk ball (seemingly to pick their brain and improve) and then recommended him.....that can’t be good. KOK never did anything good and he certainly wasn’t interested in learning anything new….

Kirk got his start from KOK. KOK used to run the spread and won a championship. How do you know who was holding back?

Oh what Irony.....KOK went down there to talk ball (seemingly to pick their brain and improve) and then recommended him.....that can�t be good. KOK never did anything good and he certainly wasn�t interested in learning anything new�.
Kirk got his start from KOK. KOK used to run the spread and won a championship. How do you know who was holding back?

if by spread you mean a pro-style run and shoot offense then yes he did.

That’s about as easy a question as I’ve ever fielded....neither. And Foval we’ve been down this road before and I even linked an OLD article where they called it a spread. We agreed it was very west coastish but it was a spread all the same. Oddly enuff it sounded very similar to what I hear people claiming GD will do.....more irony??

That’s about as easy a question as I’ve ever fielded....neither. And Foval we’ve been down this road before and I even linked an OLD article where they called it a spread. We agreed it was very west coastish but it was a spread all the same. Oddly enuff it sounded very similar to what I hear people claiming GD will do.....more irony??

My thought is that Kirk, Norm, and Ken were as a group conservative. More than not it worked well for Norm. Between Kirk and Ken Idk who was more unwilling to change.

Now my thought is Kirk got pressure to make changes. I think KF may have told Norm it was time to hang it up. I more so think he told Ken that it wasnt working and he found Ken a job and let Ken say he was leaving.

My thought is that Kirk, Norm, and Ken were as a group conservative. More than not it worked well for Norm. Between Kirk and Ken Idk who was more unwilling to change.

Now my thought is Kirk got pressure to make changes. I think KF may have told Norm it was time to hang it up. I more so think he told Ken that it wasnt working and he found Ken a job and let Ken say he was leaving.

Very, very unlikely....the rest is plausible, but I dont buy the former. This is still a very, very solvent enterprise. And that man is still in demand. Hard to put real pressure on that guy if he isnt already pressuring himself.

Thats the more likely sceanrio!

We also forget that Philbin and Aiken left. These guys were real good. Reese turned out to be strong replacement but wasn’t at the same level as Philbin. Coach K had his issues.

You loose some coaching talent to the big show. The chemistry changes. The remaining coaching staff which is conservative to begin with, gets into a bit of a rut. I also think they tried some things that just didn’t pan out the way they thought they would, especially on offense.

I wish KOK all the luck in the world. Hope he sticks as receivers coach, and enjoys doing it.

I know that Kirk received a little bit of pressure from Barta to get the team performing well. Unlike others I think Barta is a good AD. Any good AD would not be happy with a 7-5 team. So I guarantee when they sat down for their yearly evaluation Barta and Kirk agreed that 7-5 with a bowl loss is not really what Iowa is shooting for. This is common sense!

Now after saying that, I don't think Barta forced any changes. In fact I think he just gave his support in whatever Kirk believed needed to change.

I think Kaz was a situation where he was forced out with Iowa helping find him a job.

Norm- there is no way norm was told to leave. Norm is not a dumb man and he knew that his health was not getting better and there is a point where he was doing more harm than good by not physically being able to do all the things a coach needs to do. Norm's departure was Norms decision, but Norm and Kirk probably talked in their yearly eval that this would be best for Norm and the team.

KOK- I think it was just the right set of circumstances to get KOK to leave Iowa. I think this was truly a surprise to Kirk when KOK left. KOK was given the opportunity to work in the NFL for a good friend of his and former co-worker doing the job he loves (working with QBs) without having to deal with the media scrutiny of being the OC. I think his kids are all graduated now plus he gets to move to florida. What better job and what better timing could there be for him?

I know that Kirk received a little bit of pressure from Barta to get the team performing well. Unlike others I think Barta is a good AD. Any good AD would not be happy with a 7-5 team. So I guarantee when they sat down for their yearly evaluation Barta and Kirk agreed that 7-5 with a bowl loss is not really what Iowa is shooting for. This is common sense!

Now after saying that, I don't think Barta forced any changes. In fact I think he just gave his support in whatever Kirk believed needed to change.

I think Kaz was a situation where he was forced out with Iowa helping find him a job.

Norm- there is no way norm was told to leave. Norm is not a dumb man and he knew that his health was not getting better and there is a point where he was doing more harm than good by not physically being able to do all the things a coach needs to do. Norm's departure was Norms decision, but Norm and Kirk probably talked in their yearly eval that this would be best for Norm and the team.

KOK- I think it was just the right set of circumstances to get KOK to leave Iowa. I think this was truly a surprise to Kirk when KOK left. KOK was given the opportunity to work in the NFL for a good friend of his and former co-worker doing the job he loves (working with QBs) without having to deal with the media scrutiny of being the OC. I think his kids are all graduated now plus he gets to move to florida. What better job and what better timing could there be for him?

Very well penned…..

I too find Barta to be a very good AD and this whole post is better thought out than much of what we read. Kudos!!

Last edited:
The fact that he comes out and says this is a huge plus in my book. I think it's pretty easy to see that of all of the players we have in the NFL very few are skill position players and is the one thing that I think is really holding us back.

Not disagreeing at all. We need to continue to develop better WR’s but when I read this originally it struck me as odd and I researched it. Texas isn’t burning up the NFL with high-end speedy WR’s and in fact llinois has as many as they do and faster at that.

I’ve listed them before but from memory…Quan Cosby was a very good college Wr but he was 5-9 and ran a 4.5….James kirkendoll was very slight at 5-10 175 and did run a 4.38 but he was no superstar. John Chiles was a terrific athlete and big but not overly productive though he is 6-2 and ran a 4.42 and Shipley who I love ran a 4.6 Combine time and a 4.52 Pro day……

So although I agree we need more everything out on the edge I don’t find Texas to be a very good litmus test. So I’m taking it with a grain of salt. It’s also the first time Ive seen him acknowledge its something we’ve been addressing already. Finally I think what isn’t being said is “skilled” Wr’s…he is calling it speed, but I think we will one day find out Jordan Cotton and Don Shumpert are quite fast in comparison to NFL WR’s but they aren’t actually that good…hopefully I’m proven wrong.

Davis on the other had I think we will find is fast and good and KMM I imagine isn’t overly fast but he is surely as fast as Shipley’s 4.6ish…The other guys we really don’t know yet, right?!

Last edited:
Not disagreeing at all. We need to continue to develop better WR’s but when I read this originally it struck me as odd and I researched it. Texas isn’t burning up the NFL with high-end speedy WR’s and in fact llinois has as many as they do and faster at that.

I’ve listed them before but from memory…Quan Cosby was a very good college Wr but he was 5-9 and ran a 4.5….James kirkendoll was very slight at 5-10 175 and did run a 4.38 but he was no superstar. John Chiles was a terrific athlete and big but not overly productive though he is 6-2 and ran a 4.42 and Shipley who I love ran a 4.6 Combine time and a 4.52 Pro day……

So although I agree we need more everything out on the edge I don’t find Texas to be a very good litmus test. So I’m taking it with a grain of salt. It’s also the first time Ive seen him acknowledge its something we’ve been addressing already. Finally I think what isn’t being said is “skilled” Wr’s…he is calling it speed, but I think we will one day find out Jordan Cotton and Don Shumpert are quite fast in comparison to NFL WR’s but they aren’t actually that good…hopefully I’m proven wrong.

Davis on the other had I think we will find is fast and good and KMM I imagine isn’t overly fast but he is surely as fast as Shipley’s 4.6ish…The other guys we really don’t know yet, right?!

Chad,

Generally I agree with you, and in terms of 40 speed there may not be a huge differential between Iowa and Texas, but I do believe there is a gap especially when looking at overall depth.

My own opinion is that Iowa lacks WR that have speed in traffic or with real dynamic burst.

Was Marvin mcNutt fast? You bet. Great top end. Even good forty speed. What he lacked was real explosion out of breaks. Iowa has seemed to have a fair number of striders. Guys that are great running through zones, running the post or cross on play action. In those scenarios they can get open.

Against man coverage, with a press defender they disappear. My own opinion is they don't have real dynamic, explosive players who can create space off the line or out of cuts.

Shumpert and cotton have more of that but lack in other critical areas.

KMM and Davis are longer striders with good top end speed but don't know if they can create a lot of space vs tight press against the defenses the likes of MSU and Neb last year ( neither could Marvin).

I also believe, in part, it was a system issue as well.

My opinion.

Last edited:

So although I agree we need more everything out on the edge I don’t find Texas to be a very good litmus test. So I’m taking it with a grain of salt. It’s also the first time Ive seen him acknowledge its something we’ve been addressing already. Finally I think what isn’t being said is “skilled†Wr’s…he is calling it speed, but I think we will one day find out Jordan Cotton and Don Shumpert are quite fast in comparison to NFL WR’s but they aren’t actually that good…hopefully I’m proven wrong.

I am not sure what WR's at Texas has to do with him saying that Iowa needs more speed at the WR position? Are you saying that because Texas didn't have a bunch of burners that he really doesn't want speedy receivers and is for some reason lying?

Latest posts