Did The OLine Improve?

ssckelley

I’m trying to put this win into perspective since they just beat the worst team in the Big Ten. But I did see some improved line play yesterday, even the SDSU game the line played like shit. They we’re opening holes for the running game and Petras had time to throw. Did they take a step forward or is Northwestern just that horrible, even worse than a FCS school? If nothing else the game should have given them a much needed confidence boost. The offense was over 200 yards at halftime.

Either way even if the offense improves the rest of the way nobody is off the hook. These improvements and adjustments should have happened along time ago.

Last edited:
I’m trying to put this win into perspective since they just beat the worst team in the Big Ten. But I did see some improved line play yesterday, even the SDSU game the line played like shit. They we’re opening holes for the running game and Petras had time to throw. Did they take a step forward or is Northwestern just that horribl, even worse than a FCS school? If nothing else the game should have given them a much needed confidence boost. The offense was over 200 yards at halftime.

Either way even if the offense improves the rest of the way nobody is off the hook. These improvements and adjustments should have happened along time ago.
No. It's a super bad Northwestern team.. plus, wasn't Padilla on the starting depth chart on Tuesday. I feel sorry for him.. he should put his jersey on the bench and enter the portal.. pitiful coaching staff..

NW lost to SIU, Miami Ohio, and Duke. Any optimism is a bit soft.

Hawks beat NW, RUTGERS, NV. SDSU is FCS. Nebby is as bad. The real tests are MN, WI and Purdue.
My only optimism is with the offensive line. This was only the 2nd game I attended in person, the other being SDSU, and from my seats (north endzone) you get a real good view of the line when they are driving towards the south end zone. After the SDSU game I left wondering how in the hell they were going to be able to block a Big Ten dline when they couldn’t block a FCS school. I’m open to the idea Northwestern is worse than SDSU, heck Northwestern lost to Southern Illinois, but the line went from looking like absolute shit to dominating.

Looks like to me KF gave some personal attention to that line in practice last week.

My only optimism is with the offensive line. This was only the 2nd game I attended in person, the other being SDSU, and from my seats (north endzone) you get a real good view of the line when they are driving towards the south end zone. After the SDSU game I left wondering how in the hell they were going to be able to block a Big Ten dline when they couldn’t block a FCS school. I’m open to the idea Northwestern is worse than SDSU, heck Northwestern lost to Southern Illinois, but the line went from looking like absolute shit to dominating.

Looks like to me KF gave some personal attention to that line in practice last week.
Helped out jr...

I’m trying to put this win into perspective since they just beat the worst team in the Big Ten. But I did see some improved line play yesterday, even the SDSU game the line played like shit. They we’re opening holes for the running game and Petras had time to throw. Did they take a step forward or is Northwestern just that horrible, even worse than a FCS school? If nothing else the game should have given them a much needed confidence boost. The offense was over 200 yards at halftime.

NW lost to SIU, Miami Ohio, and Duke. Any optimism is a bit soft.

Hawks beat NW, RUTGERS, NV. SDSU is FCS. Nebby is as bad. The real tests are MN, WI and Purdue.
They shuffled the lineup (and rotations) to what it should’ve been. Connor Colby cannot play RT and Jack Plumb can.

Was at the game which is obviously better perspective on the whole field, here’s my thoughts which are worth what you paid for them…

1) This lineup and rotation is obviously better than what we’ve been doing and appears—to me at least—to be optimal for what we’ve got. It shouldn’t have taken this long, especially when we have one of the best DLs in the country to practice against. Kurt said in his Tuesday presser last week that 1’s never go against 1’s in practice. Maybe some limited time with starters vs starters would’ve shown it faster.

2) They were better in man coverage to the point where it was comical how much time Petras had to throw. Part of it was NW’s DL, but they did contain the edge better. That’s not arguable.

3) This does not excuse BF and KF because this is big boy football plain and simple, but I don’t think people stop to consider that OSU is the best team in the country (IMO) and Michigan is 3rd (they’re better than Tennessee). That’s not insignificant. Even more overlooked is that Illinois is the real deal this year. Bert got his team ready to play. What do I mean by that? This OL isn’t great, but it’s probably better than what people are giving credit for. Kurt and Brain should’ve realized what they needed to do personnel-wise a few weeks ago.

They shuffled the lineup (and rotations) to what it should’ve been. Connor Colby cannot play RT and Jack Plumb can.
Not sure how well Colby can even play LG right now. seemed like any penetration NW got was from there.

Plumb has got chances before, then always managed to play his way back onto the bench....

I thought our OL dominated Rutgers as well, especially when we were able to play downhill, but there just another B1G bottom feeder. Purdue should be a good challenge. They're coming off a bye and we're going to have to match scores with them.

Was at the game which is obviously better perspective on the whole field, here’s my thoughts which are worth what you paid for them…

1) This lineup and rotation is obviously better than what we’ve been doing and appears—to me at least—to be optimal for what we’ve got. It shouldn’t have taken this long, especially when we have one of the best DLs in the country to practice against. Kurt said in his Tuesday presser last week that 1’s never go against 1’s in practice. Maybe some limited time with starters vs starters would’ve shown it faster.

2) They were better in man coverage to the point where it was comical how much time Petras had to throw. Part of it was NW’s DL, but they did contain the edge better. That’s not arguable.

3) This does not excuse BF and KF because this is big boy football plain and simple, but I don’t think people stop to consider that OSU is the best team in the country (IMO) and Michigan is 3rd (they’re better than Tennessee). That’s not insignificant. Even more overlooked is that Illinois is the real deal this year. Bert got his team ready to play. What do I mean by that? This OL isn’t great, but it’s probably better than what people are giving credit for. Kurt and Brain should’ve realized what they needed to do personnel-wise a few weeks ago.
I agree other than I think Michigan is still overrated....and Iowa should have beat Illinois...another overrated team....but give Jabba the Bert credit....he has improved Illinois to the point they likely are going to win one of the worse West Divisions on the year ever in the Big Ten.

They shuffled the Oline and it looked competent. Can’t take that for granted given what we saw in September. so that is good

Latest posts