Did KF put himself further on the Hotseat?

Hot Seat! That is funny. Kirk isn't near any hot seat. His 13 seasons have been solid. There are peaks and valleys with all programs even some of the best. I like the switches. Go Hawks!

Was 2010 a quality season for the defense?

7th in the nation in scoring defense? Elite
Wisconsin scored some points that year, but they scored on everyone. It also took a fake punt on 4th down for them to win that game.

In the other four losses, the defense:

-gave up 21 points to Arizona and the offense scored 21.
-gave up 21 points to Northwestern, and the offense scored 17 against one of the worst defenses in the nation and was 2-14 on third downs (1-7 each half), which helped lead to 50 second half plays.
-gave up just 21 points to Ohio State and it took a freakish, one player in the nation run on 4th and long to help OSU continue a drive and the offense scored 17
-they did give up 27 to Minnesota, which even Clayborn said afterwards they had lost their will to win, but the offense scored just 17 points against one of the worst defenses in the nation.

Through the MSU game, Iowa's offense converted more than 50% of third downs and was averaging over 30ppg. After that game, losing ARob, Gettis and MacMillan (and Tyler Nielsen), the offense converted 32% of third downs and averaged less than 20ppg. Thru MSU game, defense allowed less than 32% third down conversions...after MSU, that went to over 50.

It's not surprising as to why. The offense, once again, let down the defense. People need to separate emotion (unmet expectations) from football realities.

Are you trying to confuse us with facts Jon? You should know that facts and logic have no place in a discussion like this

Yea, did some more research regarding that 2010 season and the unique circumstances surrounding that situation, all of which really have nothing to do with the "future". And, the fact that Phil Parker coached with Nick Saban at Toledo... Feeling better about this.

You'll note I didn't say whether I agreed, or disagreed with them. The one guy is a hot head, and it is documented. Just to be clear, I like KF. He is the right guy, at least for now, at least in my opinion.

They're not all bad guys. Actually, they are a lot like us. Very passionate, and very opinionated.

i didn't imply you were, or think that you were, but i'd still ask you to give that advice to anyone who thinks like these 'donors'.

Nope. He didn't. This was a smart choice.

And for those wondering why not some "hot" name out there. Remember Alford.

i didn't imply you were, or think that you were, but i'd still ask you to give that advice to anyone who thinks like these 'donors'.

I'll probably not give that advice. They do care about football, believe it or not.
I get all excited about it too. I get all emotional, and make posts in the heat of emotion. I give them credit that they're human also. Although, what they want is listened to more closely than what you and I want, I'll grant you that.

I honestly don't think, outside of the basketball coach situation, their opinions matter all that much.

A couple of bad seasons, or horrible publicity? I don't delude myself that they could exert pressure that might cause action in that circumstance.

You are kidding right? Kirk F. Could go to the NFL in a nano second! I just heard a interview with Schwantz (sp), he was telling Rome about starting out as a assistant coach with Saban and Kirk Ferentz on Belicheck's staff ,all he did was rave about Ferentz.You have no idea how lucky we are to have him.Just a lot of hater's because of his salary! He is worth every penny.

And this hot seat talk based on todays announcement is simply foolish

Agree completely. Phil Parker may have been the safe hire, but that doesnt mean it was a bad hire. I am excited about the changes on D. I am hopeful we add Soup as OC, add Brian Ferentz as OL coach, and start the spring on the right foot.

And this hot seat talk based on todays announcement is simply foolish
It makes no sense. I haven't seen a real argument against this hiring aside from people saying new blood over and over again.
How about no experience as the sole DC. In 2010 it was coach by committee. Now he's the man, and he has no such experience. You don't think there's going to be a drop off from Norm who had game-planned for everything imaginable? The Hawks will pay for that lack of experience at some point. In every walk of life experience is what matters.

With this hire and his failure to bring new blood into the program does this increase the temperature of the seat he's on?

yes, a little, but not as much as if he had promoted from within to replace KOK ... why, because the defense has actually been the stronger unit ... now if he promotes from within on Offense, we have a problem.

KF has never been on the hot seat. Anyone who even remotely believes so is spending too much time on internet forums.

Through the MSU game, Iowa's offense converted more than 50% of third downs and was averaging over 30ppg. After that game, losing ARob, Gettis and MacMillan (and Tyler Nielsen), the offense converted 32% of third downs and averaged less than 20ppg. Thru MSU game, defense allowed less than 32% third down conversions...after MSU, that went to over 50.

It's not surprising as to why. The offense, once again, let down the defense. People need to separate emotion (unmet expectations) from football realities.

Couldn't have anything to do with playing some real competition in the second half of the season, versus playing JuCo teams early on.

I'll probably not give that advice. They do care about football, believe it or not.
I get all excited about it too. I get all emotional, and make posts in the heat of emotion. I give them credit that they're human also. Although, what they want is listened to more closely than what you and I want, I'll grant you that.

I honestly don't think, outside of the basketball coach situation, their opinions matter all that much.

A couple of bad seasons, or horrible publicity? I don't delude myself that they could exert pressure that might cause action in that circumstance.

Golfer, you have had some good insight in this whole deal, can you say if there was any pressure by donors to go outside the program or was Parker the guy all along? Just curious the census you felt?

7th in the nation in scoring defense? Elite
Wisconsin scored some points that year, but they scored on everyone. It also took a fake punt on 4th down for them to win that game.

In the other four losses, the defense:

-gave up 21 points to Arizona and the offense scored 21.
-gave up 21 points to Northwestern, and the offense scored 17 against one of the worst defenses in the nation and was 2-14 on third downs (1-7 each half), which helped lead to 50 second half plays.
-gave up just 21 points to Ohio State and it took a freakish, one player in the nation run on 4th and long to help OSU continue a drive and the offense scored 17
-they did give up 27 to Minnesota, which even Clayborn said afterwards they had lost their will to win, but the offense scored just 17 points against one of the worst defenses in the nation.

The D has never been the problem since Kirk has been the coach.

The offense has always been suspect in my mind. This has been documented many times here (none better than Jon's article a few months ago)

I think Parker will be just fine if he's learned anything in 13 years w/Norm which of coarse we know he has. The OC and any tweaks or different philosophies he can bring to the table will be a far more important hire. I will even go so far to say that the hire will have far more impact on the next 5 years than promoting Parker.

Latest posts