Did hawks throw it deep against Purdue?

To answer the OP's question no we did not at least not more than a few times. Why would we attack their biggest weakness? That would be smart coaching.

I don't remember the game extremely well but I had the impression that our O-line had a pretty tough time giving us 4 seconds to even set up a deep route.

I would rotate at wr as much as we can. Throw the fucking bomb every time, either a catch or pass interference, burn those fuckers out. OR......run to the weakside BF......and I'm not really serious. I don't give 2 shits how we maneuver our offense, but we need big plays and a few surprises.

I don't remember the game extremely well but I had the impression that our O-line had a pretty tough time giving us 4 seconds to even set up a deep route.

It is a misnomer to say you need 4 seconds to throw a deep pass, after 2 or less seconds the Qb should know if the receiver is passing by the defender

Phil has gotten completely and totally owned by Brohm the last 2 years. Auburn, E. Michigan, Minnesota, and MSU all held Purdue to under 20 points this year.

We have not recruited the WR position well, to put it mildly. Criticize the recruiting of the position all you want, but your comments are off base. We all hope the talent improves but it is hard to exploit weaknesses when you don't have the ammunition.
It's fairly easy to criticize when we DO have the ammunition (Fant) and it's on the bench half of the time. I think that's what he's referring to.

really, Purdue’s coverage is terrible and I can’t remember BF dialing up many deep throws. Granted it is hard to imagine that Auburn has two burner WRs faster than rondell Moore but they do.

But still Iowa needs to stretch the field.

Another poster asked how did the hawks lose the last two years to purdont and the first and best answer was bad coaching. And I agree along with just those few bad plays or untimely errors.

Can’t ISM get open deep? Don’t we have one other fast receiver who can run a go route in combination with a deep comeback route (just know how to run two routes).
Iowa doesn’t throw it deep against anybody (this staff anyway) as they believe receivers are blockers or possession receivers (underneath). They don’t value possessions like most other schools you view on your tv set on saturdays. They prefer to possess the ball and grind the ball downfield and play defense. That’s why his most heralded receiver has been a walk on from South Dakota

It is a misnomer to say you need 4 seconds to throw a deep pass, after 2 or less seconds the Qb should know if the receiver is passing by the defender

Dude did you play football? If you think that any WR can beat a CB in full back pedal in 2 seconds then you're on crack.

Dude did you play football? If you think that any WR can beat a CB in full back pedal in 2 seconds then you're on crack.

Dude, do you ever watch some of the cornerbacks in college playing press coverage, like our corner backs. If they dont bump or they miss their bump/chuck then they are immediately turning and running with the receiver after 5 yards. That is 1/2 a second. The Qb is not going deep to a receiver whose cover guy is 8 yards off of him. I disagree with you and I will be watching a lot of replays to see how long it takes for a receiver to get even with the defender. The receiver only has to get even with the receiver and then the receiver has the odds in their favor for a jump ball or back shoulder throw.

Dude, do you ever watch some of the cornerbacks in college playing press coverage, like our corner backs. If they dont bump or they miss their bump/chuck then they are immediately turning and running with the receiver after 5 yards. That is 1/2 a second. The Qb is not going deep to a receiver whose cover guy is 8 yards off of him. I disagree with you and I will be watching a lot of replays to see how long it takes for a receiver to get even with the defender. The receiver only has to get even with the receiver and then the receiver has the odds in their favor for a jump ball or back shoulder throw.

Your premise is based on the niche of press coverage. A College team runs man press about 1 out of every 10 to 12 defensive plays. Some run ot more than others if they have excellent corners.

Reading a WR beating the press is possible but to throw the ball in 3 seconds in any circumstance requires 3 reads to be done each in 1 second. That is an insane task that less than 1000 people in the history of football have shown they consistently have that ability.

Most throws made in 3 seconds are made based off 1 read made on the coverage LB. They are also a large majority of slants hitches and drags. There are a couple teams in the B1G that are good enough to squeeze in a comeback route at just a touch over 3 seconds.

I don't believe it's feasible to expect a college QB to make elite pro level reads especially at any level of consistency.

Bottom line if your O-line can't give your QB 4 seconds you aren't going to have a very good passing game. It's silly to blame the QB if the protection isn't at the minimum requirement.

For the record. I am not actually defending Stanley in a whole sense. There have been many passing plays that the protection was marvelous. Stanley has been wildly inconsistent on those plays as well. My original point was that my memory of the Purdue game was a breakdown of protection. You generally throw the QB evaluation out in a game that his protection is beaten constantly. You generally also remove the blame from the OC for lack of passing game production in said games for the same reason. Fancy game plans go out the window when you can't execute the plays that are planned. The blame is then more centrally placed on the shoulders of the O-line coach for the lack of execution from his unit. In this particular case I believe our inability to exploit Purdue's defense was a result of poor line play and therefore I blame Kirk and Polasek. The guys were not ready for what they saw. Seems like a preparation and film study flaw. Credit to Purdue for once again finding a tangible wrinkle to confuse and derail the game plan.

You do realize Fant was a tight end...right?
With WR speed, WR skills, @ 6'5 and 250 lbs. What's your point? If we can't figure out how to use Fant, why would any WR believe we would know how to use them? Guarantee you that Fant spends more time in the slot, in the NFL, than he does in a tight end of line formation.