Did Archie Even Show up?

I don't care if Archie is injured or not producing. He is on the roster and has one season remaining. I don't think Fran wants to be viewed as a coach who is going to run a kid out of the program for non-production while in a re-building mode. Would it benefit the team, perhaps? But it would definitely be the wrong thing to do no matter what some of you think. Now, if Archie decides to leave on his own, that is another issue altogether!

I am amazed that anyone can utter such nonsense. So we should keep a guy that is not even a D2 caliber player because he can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time? McCaffrey had basically no time to recruit and brought in our two best players, so you really think he can't do better than a 29% free throw shooter with no post moves who is constantly hurt? Trust me, you could put 100 names of juco power forwards in a hat and pull one out and have a better player than Archie. For the record, I would take Cougill over Archie in a heartbeat and that says less about Cougill and more about Archie. The guy can't even score in the PTL and, in case you haven't noticed, we need to score more than 68 points to win games.

What's silly is to get wrapped up in one scholarship for one year in the grand scheme of the program. If we had the choice between getting a McDonald's all american big man versus keeping Archie for one more year I'd take the the former. If the choice is Archie or an empty scholarship, or worse another sub par recruit that we are signing on for the next 2 years if hes a JUCO or longer if he's straight out of HS, I'll take Archie.

What if he is a JUCO big that can average around 10 rebounds per game and is stout on defense? What if he is a backup to another guy who is even better? Basically what if Iowa could upgrade so that Brommer, even after developing more, was the third option? You don't need a McDonald's AA for that. Just need a guy close to Cartwright's success.

Again that's all easier said then done. If I'm not mistaken Fran has roughly 372 scholarship offers on the table, and so far we've only had 2 say yes (for next year). Again, I'd rather have Archie take that scholarship, or even let it sit open for a year, if the alternative is bringing in a lukewarm body to fill a slot for the next 4 years. That's part of what got us in this mess.

Why do so many people go out of their way and try to be politically correct ? If a player has little or no talent what is wrong with just calling a spade a spade instead of making a bunch of lame excuses for him? Some think Artchie should get a free pass because of his injuries. Did you ever think that if he had any coordination some of the injuries might have been avoided in the first place ? The guy looks like he could trip over the free throw line.

What if he is a JUCO big that can average around 10 rebounds per game and is stout on defense? What if he is a backup to another guy who is even better? Basically what if Iowa could upgrade so that Brommer, even after developing more, was the third option? You don't need a McDonald's AA for that. Just need a guy close to Cartwright's success.

As Duff has pointed out, if Fran can get 2 guys who will average more than 10 rebounds a game(which I believe would mean they would be #1 and #2 in the Big Ten in rebounding this year),then fine, go for it.

Now,realistically, do you really think that we have multiple All Big Ten type power players banging down our door this spring? If we do, Fran is truly ''White Magic''.

What Duff and myself are saying that rarely is the rotation deeper than maybe 9 guys. That means 4 guys on scholly will sit a lot next year.
I assume you want those 4 to be Brommer,May,Payne and Gatens,with our three frosh, Cartwright and the 5 newcomers to be in the rotation.

Maybe that will work,but working in 5 new guys into a rotation and leaving every vet but Cartwright sitting on the bench all season could produce growing pains. And as Duff points out, what if the guy brought in for Archie is a 4 year stiff?...when maybe we could have gotten a top 75 big man like Woodbury the next year with that scholly instead?

Latest posts