Dickie V Just Luvs The ACC

MelroseHawkins

You know it's bad when your 7 yr old boy pipes up during the game and says "Sounds like the one announcer guy only likes North Carolina". This came out of the blue and I wasn't even beeotching about it. He just said that & went back to doing what he was doing. I didn't say anything cause I realized when I saw him announcing, he'd be all about NC, which is fine with me. I just found it funny my kid noticed. Dickie V's all about Duke & NC, but actually prob more Duke. He just can't help himself. What I didn't care about that much was when he went on a 5 minute tirade defending NC and the investigation and making it sound like the academic assistants weren't just benefiting the athletes with paper grades, but also the non-athlete students which accounted for 52% of the total students. He said it was a systemic problem and the coaches have no idea what classes the athletes are taking or their progress in the classes. That may be true to an extent, but it's still on the coaches when there is a systemic problem showing most of your student athletes getting academic "benefits". If was just 1 or 2 I can understand, but if its systemic, your guilty, IMO. Vitale should have never even gone there as he did, or at least to that depth.

What are you talking about?? Ddin't you hear Dickie V give his shout out to all his Iowa buddies after the game?? LOL

I was just happy when they focused on the game. There was a moment with like 5 minutes left of a tight ball game and they were discussing some other topic.

Loved Dicky going over and over how no opponent had scored over 40% shooting against the tarheeels. We held them to 27.9%. Didn't hear him mention that fact.....

Loved how he kept praising their preseason All American guard Marcus Paige when Gesell was completely outplaying him. Stroke of genius to put Aaron White on him, making him shoot over someone much taller, throwing his shot off.....

Thought Roy was close to tears in the postgame interview.....

:rolleyes:

Sorry I couldn't read Dicky's lips too well ,I thought he has too much crazy glue under his false teeth and his lips wouldn't move. My faults! I can't make out what the heck he's saying.....

Loved Dicky going over and over how no opponent had scored over 40% shooting against the tarheeels. We held them to 27.9%. Didn't hear him mention that fact.....

Loved how he kept praising their preseason All American guard Marcus Paige when Gesell was completely outplaying him. Stroke of genius to put Aaron White on him, making him shoot over someone much taller, throwing his shot off.....

Thought Roy was close to tears in the postgame interview.....

:rolleyes:

Again, agree with everything that you stated. Yep, never heard about the Tarheels % last night. Gesell last night was the best guard on the court & it was terrific watching Vitale eat crow. He wouldn't stop talking about Paige but Gesell kept outplaying him & they kept Paige in check. Paige is going to get the best defender all year & NC won't have an answer unless they can get some more outside shots. Vitale's homerism towards NC, Duke & the ACC is nauseating.

Sorry I couldn't read Dicky's lips too well ,I thought he has too much crazy glue under his false teeth and his lips wouldn't move. My faults! I can't make out what the heck he's saying.....

Unless you have a love afffair with North Carolina and Duke, and the ACC, you didn't miss anything, Atomic....

:cool:

I thought Saunders was worse. A few minutes before the half he said "North Carolina needs to pick up the pace before the half". Could have just as easily said "Iowa needs to begin to pull away". Then, a bit later he said "Iowa (pause) clinging (laughter) to a two-point lead". Gessel owned Paige and both of these guys last night. Awesome.

You know it's bad when your 7 yr old boy pipes up during the game and says "Sounds like the one announcer guy only likes North Carolina". This came out of the blue and I wasn't even beeotching about it. He just said that & went back to doing what he was doing. I didn't say anything cause I realized when I saw him announcing, he'd be all about NC, which is fine with me. I just found it funny my kid noticed. Dickie V's all about Duke & NC, but actually prob more Duke. He just can't help himself. What I didn't care about that much was when he went on a 5 minute tirade defending NC and the investigation and making it sound like the academic assistants weren't just benefiting the athletes with paper grades, but also the non-athlete students which accounted for 52% of the total students. He said it was a systemic problem and the coaches have no idea what classes the athletes are taking or their progress in the classes. That may be true to an extent, but it's still on the coaches when there is a systemic problem showing most of your student athletes getting academic "benefits". If was just 1 or 2 I can understand, but if its systemic, your guilty, IMO. Vitale should have never even gone there as he did, or at least to that depth.
Coaches know what classes the players are taking and how they're doing. I played football in college and our coaches knew who was struggling and if someone was missing class. He's just making excuses because the great UNC wouldn't do that.

I thought Dickie V was going to start dancing on the scoring table when Paige hit a couple free throws in the second half. Dickie V: "Guarantee he makes these" first ball barely rims in..."I told you, the kid is amazing baby, he always makes those". Meanwhile he was 4 of 16 from the field and missed the front end of a 1 and 1 his only other time at the line.

Didn't the implants work out well? Too bad if they didn't.

I know it's been said that he looked old and really had no idea what was going on, but did anyone else notice that, since he's gotten older and more senile, he's not as loud? Maybe it was just because his team wasn't doing very well.

What are you talking about?? Ddin't you hear Dickie V give his shout out to all his Iowa buddies after the game?? LOL

I was just happy when they focused on the game. There was a moment with like 5 minutes left of a tight ball game and they were discussing some other topic.

Dicky V has been big on the hawkeyes for a long time. He really supports Fran and Connor.

Dicky V has been big on the hawkeyes for a long time. He really supports Fran and Connor.

A long time might be a stretch. He had some good things to say about the Hawks going into last year, but so did a lot of other media guys. Don't know if Iowa was on his radar prior to last year. Dickie V has been higher on UNI than Iowa this year. He considers UNC and Duke basketball royalty and doesn't like them losing to anyone in basketball. This comes across when he covers their games to a point where it's almost laughable. Can annoy the opposing team's fans.

That said, he's still a good dude who does a lot of good things for kids with cancer and is always willing to embrace fans in the crowd with autographs and pictures.

Last edited:
I never heard Dickie V not support or say a good thing about anyone. He was talking up North Carolina because that's where the money is. I haven't watched any of them, but I have seen where reruns of past North Carolina games have been on television probably the last three or four nights, and that's at least as much or more television than the hawkeyes have had this year. When things happen you have to follow the money trail. Dickie V isn't stupid enough to realize that talking up North Carolina when they play Iowa is good for his career and business. Dickie V is just some guy that is a personality on television.

Dickie deserved this
images

Dick Vitale comment during the Kansas-Florida game: "I still think North Carolina is a good team even though they lost to Iowa at home."

Jury is still out on Iowa. Defense can keep them in many games. Outside shooting must improve.

Latest posts