Desmond King

I get it. If you've ever played college athletics you'd certainly get it too. Most of us played without the hope of going pro. But, still, there is something about the countdown....only 3 years left...only 2 years...this next year and that's it....time and youth are fleeting. Play the game because it is a game. The reward is $$$ later on. Play for you right now desmond. Being a college athlete is fun. You are kings of the state. You can't get it back. You can bank a million and get cut or get hurt in the pros faster than in college. Most guys I know say they would give all the money in the world to be able to go back and play one more year. Most want desmond to come back for iowa...of course we want him back. Others can say duh, go pro, get your dough. I say come back because you love it and will regret missing one more day in the sun at iowa as a king.

Short-sighted, false sense of loyalism, blinders on....take your pick.

It would be (fill in the blank) to risk career-ending injuries for the glory of the Black and Gold.

Ask Dallas Clark, Shonn Greene, and at the other end of the spectrum, Larry Station and Ronnie Lester.

Many come back for the chance of earning more $$$$ in the draft. If you only project to be a 4th rounder, I would never tell a kid to leave for that. If you project to be a 2nd rounder or better, I would never tell them to come back.

It did work for Scherff, as he came back and upped his draft stock to the #5 pick, even though we would have been a 2nd round pick or maybe better after his Jr. year. It is different for all cases, and as others have said, you can get insurance to mitigate your risk of injury.

I'd venture to guess 99.9% of Iowa 'fans' wanting King to come back aren't voicing that opinion based upon what's might be best for King.

Just sayn'

If he is projected 3rd-4th round currently, I'm not sure millions are waiting for him next year? Cumulatively, certainly. What's a 3rd RD DB guaranteed in rookie season?

I'd venture to guess 99.9% of Iowa 'fans' wanting King to come back aren't voicing that opinion based upon what's might be best for King.

Just sayn'

Of course they're not. I want King to come back to make Iowa better. I have no idea what's better for him and he wouldn't care about my opinion if I did.

Hopes he comes back.

But if the NFL has a high interest in him, coming back would be the stupidest thing he could ever do.

I'm pretty sure he already knows their interest in him, which is why he said he was leaning towards coming back.

It would be (fill in the blank) to risk career-ending injuries for the glory of the Black and Gold.

Ask Dallas Clark, Shonn Greene, and at the other end of the spectrum, Larry Station and Ronnie Lester.

Why did you leave out the highest draft picks, Brandon Scherff, Robert Gallery, and Chuck Long? Oh, that's right, because they came back for their senior year and substantially improved their draft stock.

Between this and your take on the Rose Bowl, I get the distinct impression that you're angry that Iowa was successful because you wanted Ferentz fired and now you're angry that King might be coming back because that means Iowa isn't likely to fall apart next year so you can start the fire Kirk chants again.

As mentioned in the 2016 look ahead ... come back, get your degree, break all oskie records, return a kickoff and​ a punt for a TD, get Heisman consideration, lead Iowa to B14 championship.

He's not rated very high right now. The only site I looked at had him as the 9th best CB (if he came out this year). That's 3rd rd at best. Maybe late 2nd rd.
I think this is why him coming back is even on the table... He's not going to win the underwear Olympics in the combine. If he were a high 2nd or 1st round pick I think he'd be going pro just too much money on the table and not going pro is just one less year he can possibly be cashing checks... There's no way of knowing what the right or wrong decision is for him without having a crystal ball. He's awesome for us and having him back would just solidify what'll be a really great D next yr too. I hope that it is a decision he can make early and decisively so that he can just focus on how he wants his future to go and I'll be fired up for him whatever he chooses.

I think this is why him coming back is even on the table... He's not going to win the underwear Olympics in the combine. If he were a high 2nd or 1st round pick I think he'd be going pro just too much money on the table and not going pro is just one less year he can possibly be cashing checks... There's no way of knowing what the right or wrong decision is for him without having a crystal ball. He's awesome for us and having him back would just solidify what'll be a really great D next yr too. I hope that it is a decision he can make early and decisively so that he can just focus on how he wants his future to go and I'll be fired up for him whatever he chooses.

exactly. If he doesn't think he'll be drafted early enough and wants to come back I'd be very happy about that. If he wants to go the Sash route and get out early no matter what the NFL says, that's fine too. He's earned that right.

If he was Desmond King, OSU cornerback, or Alabama cornerback, or USC cornerback, we'd be saying, of course he should go pro. With that said, I hope he comes back. There is some unfinished business next year. He would help make it happen.

If he was Desmond King, OSU cornerback, or Alabama cornerback, or USC cornerback, we'd be saying, of course he should go pro. With that said, I hope he comes back. There is some unfinished business next year. He would help make it happen.

not really. I didn't think Calhoun from MSU made a mistake by coming back. The only time I think it's a mistake to come back is if you're projected to be a top 10 pick. Otherwise, if you want to play one more year of college ball with your friends, that's great.

NFL scouts are a little smarter than ESPN talking heads.

The option of insurance mitigates the risk. Career ending injuries can happen in a rookie year as well. In either case, you can hedge against it.

Just sayn'

I don't think any fans wanting King to return (which would be Every Hawkeye fan btw) claimed such.

Congratulations, on winning the Jim Thorpe award! Great season and a great career at the University of Iowa!!

I see some NFL pundits saying they see King as safety in the pro's..Maybe he comes back to take Lomax's spot ?..

Why did you leave out the highest draft picks, Brandon Scherff, Robert Gallery, and Chuck Long? Oh, that's right, because they came back for their senior year and substantially improved their draft stock.

Between this and your take on the Rose Bowl, I get the distinct impression that you're angry that Iowa was successful because you wanted Ferentz fired and now you're angry that King might be coming back because that means Iowa isn't likely to fall apart next year so you can start the fire Kirk chants again.

Wow....that's a reach. How far up your hiney did you reach to pull that one out?

I've said, and I'll say it again, if he is getting solid NFL interest (low 1st round), then coming back and risking injury/a 'down' year is silly. Simple as that.

I see some NFL pundits saying they see King as safety in the pro's..Maybe he comes back to take Lomax's spot ?..

No way does that happen (moving to safety at Iowa). He's way too valuable to Iowa on the outside, and I firmly believe that Brandon Snyder will step into Lomax's spot and perform very well.

I also don't see King moving to safety in the NFL. Previous Iowa corners did that because they were too stiff in the hips to turn and run with receivers without losing a step. King doesn't have that problem. His only potentially serious issue is his height. Forget the top end speed; he could excel without that in the right system (think Seattle), or be a top-flight nickelback.

Latest posts