Derrick Mitchell Needs to Play

I was a little ticked when they took DMX out of the game because I wanted him to score a TD. Thank goodness they put him back out there. Touchdown Touchdown Iowa! Yes he scored!

Reading between the lines in KF's last couple of press conferences when DM's name has come up, I've got the sneaking suspicion that there might be a "doghouse" issue going on....

Yes, he is in the doghouse. You can tell from his body language on the sidelines. I sincerely believe that he is just as good as the other two running backs. Heck, Kirk put some first year freshman in there before DXM. Just ridiculous.

Well KF, you almost got your QB killed because Wadley did an ankle dive in protection on 3rd down. I agree with the posters on here...Mitchell is a beast with great hands. Put him in the 3rd down package...both Daniels and Wadley missed blocks Saturday in protection.

He does three things well ... one of our better blockers and life insurance for CJ ... also not a bad guy to run or throw to. I think he will see a lot of action this year.

I thought he'd have had more snaps then he did too. I think he'll play more as the year goes on. He is a solid player that brings a lot to the table. They didn't need him much as Iowa had but just a few 3rd downs anyway if I remember right. That's one of those things where just get out of it healthy it doesn't matter if he didn't play much of if a guy like Kittle wasn't targeted much. Just work on a few things get out healthy and plan on kicking ISUs butt.

Not sure about that, but assuming you are right, he is going to be incredibly important later in the season. Iowa will have injuries to those top 2 running backs.....they always do

I was thinking the same thing. Based on past seasons, not only will Mitchell be needed a lot this season, but Iowa's 4th string back will be needed in some game this season too.

Hawkfnntn hit the nail on the head I think. I wouldn't know anything about Mitchell being in Ferentz's doghouse personally, but they did only have nine 3rd downs on offense. They also only ran about 45 or so 1st team snaps as well and considering Daniels and Wadley only combined for only 22 carries, there might not have been too many snaps to be had for Mitchell in this game with the first team. I also wouldn't doubt if Iowa would like to get Wadley involved a little bit in the passing game since he is the best player on the team in open space. That could also eat into Mitchell's 3rd down/passing down snaps. But just like the poster above me mentioned, I expect him to play more in the coming weeks because he is still the best 3rd down back on the team and as good as Wadley is, limiting how many hits he takes is important and that should give Mitchell some opportunities.

Yes, he is in the doghouse. You can tell from his body language on the sidelines. I sincerely believe that he is just as good as the other two running backs. Heck, Kirk put some first year freshman in there before DXM. Just ridiculous.

I think we are giving too much responsibility to Kirk for deciding on all the position players that go in. I find it hard to believe that he micromanages the situation to that extent particularly in a game that is well in hand. I would think their position coaches have more say in the depth chart than what Kirk does as they see them in all the drills and all the practices. As the head coach Kirk has to see all positions and it would be silly to believe that he would decide on the 3rd,4th, and 5th backs and whether they go in at a particular play. If he is that big of a control freak he would do it for all positions and that would be too much for anyone.

I would have preferred more Mitchell rather than burning Akinrabe's redshirt so early. Kirk must be thinking the future looks bright with Eno coming next year.

DM is 3rd down/passing down RB. It makes sense with him being a former WR and a good blocker. Maybe KF wants to keep him at that role in the offense unless there are injuries.

DMX was a bright spot in the rose bowl, one of a few. Totally surprised he was the fourth RB to enter last weeks game.

I recall last year Mitchell was pretty good at catching the ball out of the backfield and gaining goods yards after the catch and run.

Latest posts