Derrell Johnson-Koulianos

Kinda like Drew Tate spilling his guts in a that interview/article after he left the program......Probably needs to be said......debating on if I really need to know.

He's been painted as a "me-first" guy, fair or not. The lack of clarity in his "issues" over the past four years is what created that image. He has to say his piece, get his side out, for his sake. But I do partly wish he wouldn't, because contrary to Thunderhawk's statement, we don't "deserve" to know, we just want to.

The one negative thing I heard re DJK was from a coaches' clinic practice a couple years ago in which some coaches were unimpressed w/ DJK's attitude, that resulted in DJK having to run some laps and sit out.

That being said, all DJK did was show up in the biggest games and make the biggest plays. There was a post on HawkeyeInsider last night re this program needing to recruit a real "gamechanger" on offense. I think we had one the last 4 years and just didn't use him. I'm almost positive DJK had 4 offensive touches today (3 catches and the reverse, in which he showed great ability for only getting 3 yards). 4! WTF? Your best, most explosive offensive player gets 4 ******* touches? I'm not saying it's all on KOK, as Stanzi makes the throws and DJK needs to try to get open on routes, which MN may have been really keying on him. But only 4 touches? Just dumbfounding.

Last edited:
One of the greatest Hawkeyes of all time. This is the kind of player we need. I wish we had 21 other players with the same heart and talent as DJK. It's a shame that because he cared so much, wanted to win so much, tried to make plays for his team so much that his career was overshadowed by a couple of coaches who can't see past their own philosophies. I can't wait to see him become a star in the NFL, where he doesn't have people bringing him down. Thank you, DJK.

Maybe if the gdamn coaches worried more about who performed better in games as opposed to who kissed their @$$es in practice we'd have a better record.

The one negative thing I heard re DJK was from a coaches' clinic practice a couple years ago in which some coaches were unimpressed w/ DJK's attitude, that resulted in DJK having to run some laps and sit out.

That being said, all DJK did was show up in the biggest games and make the biggest plays. There was a post on HawkeyeInsider last night re this program needing to recruit a real "gamechanger" on offense. I think we had one the last 4 years and just didn't use him. I'm almost positive DJK had 4 offensive touches today (3 catches and the reverse, in which he showed great ability for only getting 3 yards). 4! WTF? Your best, most explosive offensive player gets 4 ******* touches? I'm not saying it's all on KOK, as Stanzi makes the throws and DJK needs to try to get open on routes, which MN may have been really keying on him. But only 4 touches? Just dumbfounding.

Tony Moeaki concurs in your assessment.

DJK was the only one to play with heart today. When he got blocked into the bench, he was ready to kick that guy's ***. But none of his teammates did anything. If there ever was a time to get a personal foul that was it, that dude blocked DJK over the bench on the Iowa sideline. He should not have made it back on to the field without getting his *** kicked but our guys were too cold to bother taking off their coats and doing anything about it.

DJK you deserved better, hopefully you get an NFL coach that can take advantage of your talents.

DJK was the only one to play with heart today. When he got blocked into the bench, he was ready to kick that guy's ***. But none of his teammates did anything. If there ever was a time to get a personal foul that was it, that dude blocked DJK over the bench on the Iowa sideline. He should not have made it back on to the field without getting his *** kicked but our guys were too cold to bother taking off their coats and doing anything about it.

DJK you deserved better, hopefully you get an NFL coach that can take advantage of your talents.

Word. It was pretty much DJK versus Minnesota today...and he almost pulled it off. McNutt showed up too. Those two studs ALWAYS show up.

Everyone else on that pathetic excuse for a team just kind of shows up when they feel like it. Today they didn't bother.

You're dead on. When DJK got trucked into the bench and those gutless tools slouching on the sideline couldn't be bothered to lift a finger to defend him I knew what was coming down the pike for this team.

I didn't see the whole game, saw bits and pieces at work.. did he not start?

You got it. Supposedly, according to Ferentz, Sandeman had a better week of practice.

I can't even convey in mature verbiage my disappointment in this statement.

So you're telling me, the All-Time leading receiver at Iowa, who some consider All-Big 10, and in the right scheme All-American, the only player who gives a ****, and heart on every single, time he steps onto the field whether it's blocking, or catching and going for some YAC, that he doesn't deserve to start?

Alright, Kirk... I see what you're doing. And it's failing.

Kirk doesnt care about the game so long as the players who dont conform are punished. He love punishing guys at times that make no sense at all. After today I have lost a ton of confidence in him.

So you're telling me, the All-Time leading receiver at Iowa, who some consider All-Big 10, and in the right scheme All-American, the only player who gives a ****, and heart on every single, time he steps onto the field whether it's blocking, or catching and going for some YAC, that he doesn't deserve to start?

Alright, Kirk... I see what you're doing. And it's failing.

You got it...because of one week of practice where he was busting his tail (per Coach Campbell [thanks TM]) and wasn't being divisive to the team.

The first of many waves of disappointment comes from the arrogance of him thinking the fanbase is going to buy that garbage.

You got it...because of one week of practice where he was busting his tail (per Coach Campbell [thanks TM]) and wasn't being divisive to the team.

The first of many waves of disappointment comes from the arrogance of him thinking the fanbase is going to buy that garbage.

Just to clarify, that comment from Soup was several weeks ago, and it was a general statement about DJ's practice habits, not an assessment of his effort in a particular week.

Kirk Ferentz is really putting a bad taste in our mouths. If the philosophies of his don't change, next season is going to be a 6 win season. Tops.

I agree with the OP. DJK was about the only Hawk out there showing heart and making plays. I also noticed Clayborn just stopping on a few rushes. Talk about taking a play off!

DJK was an amazing Hawkeye and not starting him better have been for a VERY good reason. And I for one would love to get his side of the story come January.

I also think we should mention Donahue. He made some plays and he's also a senior who will be missed.

If DJK was involved in a credit card scandal, would he have been given a 2nd chance? If he sucker punched a teammate would he have been allowed to play with no mention to anyone on what happened? If he punched a cab driver would his case be delayed for 2 years and not missed a game? If he arrested TWICE for underage drinking would he still be on the team? Should I continue? The answer is hell no ! He would have been on the 1st Greyhound bus headed toward Youngstown Ohio!!!!!!!

Latest posts