Derrell Johnson-Koulianos Statement on His Time with Iowa Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Former Hawkeye receiver recalls years in program, dismissal from program and university:

LINK

So, Rob, which version/versions of DJK's story/stories do you believe?

How badly do you want KF gone? (Rhetorical question, I know)

Do you think you'll have a good relationship with the next Iowa coach?

What's the word on where Dillon Doyle will be transferring?

I may be remembering incorrectly but didn’t he wrote a book about this a few years ago and his teammates all said it was BS? I wonder if they still say that. Or maybe they were standing up for
Doyle and kirk

My comment has nothing at all to do with the color of DJK’s skin. He was an asshole when he played at Iowa and not much has changed with him. Talented, yes. Failure to this day to not take responsibility for his actions, instead blaming KF for everything, is pretty consistent with the way he acted at Iowa.

Rob is a reporter. He is not a guardian of the Hawkeyes. I would never want a press core like at Nebraska. Blaming the press for these issues is sad. This forum mocked Penn State relentlessly for its denialism after its scandal. While the issues here obviously aren’t nearly equivalent, it’s denialism all the same.

It’s not the fault of the press that they are reporting what former players are saying. What do you expect them to do? Attempt to cover it up? Can you imagine if a Penn State’s fan’s response to their scandal was to be angry at the reporter that uncovered it? Again, I’m not saying this scandal is even in the same universe in terms of the seriousness of the allegations, but it’s unfortunate that some are so quick to reflexively defend their favorite team in the face of compelling evidence of mistreatment.

This was a very compelling story and explains a lot of puzzling decisions during the time when DJK was here. Thank you for publishing this. It seems like DJK had buried the hatchet and was willing to come back for the 2019 celebration. It saddens me that the Coach still held a grudge and was apparently unable to do the same.

It is apparent Derrell still carries a huge grudge towards Ferentz and Doyle, and perhaps rightly so. The feelings behind the walls of Fort Kinnick are mutual it seems.

Ferentz obviously wants to run a clean program, and demands that his players follow certain rules while part of it. Derrell didn’t abide those rules on several occasions and got punished.

So I toss out about half of what DKJ wrote. The remaining 50 percent, however, ought to give every Iowa supporter pause. There clearly are significant problems with Iowa football.

I thought Ferentz would survive this, that Doyle and perhaps one other assistant would be canned. Now I’m not so sure. I think KF has to go, too.

If KF tried to make DJK wear 'quieter, blander' clothes then that is pretty petty on KF's part. There is a lot of really strange stuff in DJK's letter about his time at Iowa but I can see KF as a very rigid person who wants all his players to wear the same kind of bland clothes, not make waves, not be brash. Crazy stuff.

https://247sports.com/college/iowa/Article/Howe-DJK-Lost-His-Way-104762966/

“I don't think that Kirk Ferentz takes an iota of satisfaction in the arrest of his star receiver. He's a parent whose son, James, bumped with the law a few times while a player at Iowa. The coach told me this year that he likes Derrell, who is very likable. Ferentz considered any discipline he'd handed out to be like punishing his son. It was part of the job description. Ferentz acted on infractions against team rules. It's far fetched to think he levied those penalties with an idea that he would ultimately suspend Johnson-Koulianos following a drug arrest. The coach wasn't firing off warning shots. Ferentz is a good coach. He's not Kreskin.”

You're obviously allowed to change your mind as you learn more about the situation. In today's article, you directly report DJK's perspective while in 2010 it appears you wrote more of a personal reflection based on your interactions with both player and coach over several years. If you were to rewrite this 2010 piece, what sources would you rely upon? This is a genuine question.

(I only found this article because of DJK's allusion to being recruited by OSU, I was looking for his recruiting profile. I am fairly certain he did not have an offer from the Buckeyes.)

I do think Kirk has a nepotism problem. James should have been suspended for a year or kicked off the team. My understanding is James quit drinking entirely in order to rejoin the team, but how many players other than the coach's son would have been given that opportunity?

It is apparent Derrell still carries a huge grudge towards Ferentz and Doyle, and perhaps rightly so. The feelings behind the walls of Fort Kinnick are mutual it seems.

Ferentz obviously wants to run a clean program, and demands that his players follow certain rules while part of it. Derrell didn’t abide those rules on several occasions and got punished.

So I toss out about half of what DKJ wrote. The remaining 50 percent, however, ought to give every Iowa supporter pause. There clearly are significant problems with Iowa football.

I thought Ferentz would survive this, that Doyle and perhaps one other assistant would be canned. Now I’m not so sure. I think KF has to go, too.
Haha GTFO

The more I read former players' comments, the more I think Kirk & Doyle aren't so much racist as they are just horrible persons. DJK's story sounds absolutely horrendous, but I don't see how it was racist, unless I missed something.

Former Hawkeye receiver recalls years in program, dismissal from program and university:

LINK

Rob, has there ever been any corroboration of DJK's story about Doyle ordering him to wear and run around with a trash can over his head. DJK said this happened during or towards the end of a kid's day practice so there would seem to be other players at that time and coaches who witnessed this.

If true it is a very demeaning thing for Doyle to do. By the time these athletes are in 10th grade they know when they screw up in practice or a game so no need to blast them and yell or make them do demeaning things.

The best way to handle poor performance is cut playing time.

Same thing with clothing, if true how is it KF's job to tell a player what they cant wear during their off time.

I haven't heard corroboration of any of these stories or lack of them from either side so I cant make a judgement.

Doyle has been there 20 years so there should be a lot of ex players and coaches and others who can be interviewed about Doyle.

The more I read former players' comments, the more I think Kirk & Doyle aren't so much racist as they are just horrible persons. DJK's story sounds absolutely horrendous, but I don't see how it was racist, unless I missed something.

I agree and my guess is that based on Jack Kallenberger comments that they can just be asshats to players regardless of color!

I said before that Doyle is considered the best in the business. What do people think make him good? Do they think he has some super secret workout that no other schools know about? He pushes people hard as F to get the most out of them. He lost some of that ability after rhabdo and I think it showed with results on the field (as in player strength). After all of this, he would have to become mr nice guy because the spotlight will be on him. He would probably have to be the nicest guy around just to overcompensate. "You wanna try to give me one more rep buddy? No? That's cool man, good job anyway!" You think Wisconsin runs over us now? Wait until you see us after players start getting Doyleized in the wrong direction. There's literally no point in keeping him around even if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts