Depth Chart

I would guess it will come out Tuesday. Now that it's the first game week that's when Ferentz meets with the media for his typical "We've got a tough opponent this week. We better come ready to play. We have a ton of respect for them... Blah blah blah".

They'll probably release it shortly before he talks :)

Ask and you shall receive.... http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/hawkeyesports.com/documents/2016/8/26/Notes01_vs_Miami_OH_.pdf

OFFENSE

SE - Jay Scheel, Jerminic Smith
LT - Cole Croston, Brett Waechter
LG - Boone Myers, Ross Reynolds
C - Sean Welsh, Lucas LeGrand/Steve Ferentz
RG - James Daniels, Keegan Render
RT - Ike Boettger, Levi Paulsen
TE - George Kittle, Peter Pekar
WR - Matt VandeBerg, Ronald Nash
WR - Riley McCarron, Devonte Young
QB - C.J. Beathard, Tyler Wiegers/Nathan Stanley
FB - Drake Kulick/Brady Ross, Austin Kelly
RB - LeShun Daniels Jr, Akrum Wadley

DEFENSE

LE - Anthony Nelson/Matt Nelson, Sam Brincks
DT - Jaleel Johnson, Cedrick Lattimore
DT - Nathan Bazata, Faith Ekakitie
RE - Parker Hesse, Brady Reiff
OLB - Ben Niemann, Kevin Ward/Kristian Welch
MLB - Josey Jewell, Jack Hockaday
WLB - Bo Bower, Amani Jones/Aaron Mends
LC - Greg Mabin, Michael Ojemudia
SS - Miles Taylor, Anthony Gair/Amani Hooker
FS - Brandon Snyder, Jake Gervase
RC - Desmond King, Manny Rugamba/Josh Jackson

SPECIAL TEAMS

K - Keith Duncan, Miguel Recinos/Mick Ellis
P - Ron Coluzzi, Colten Rastetter

LS - Tyler Kluver, Jackson Subbert
H - Ron Coluzzi, Colten Rastetter

KR - Desmond King, Riley McCarron
PR - Desmond King, Riley McCarron

Welsh at C and Daniels at RG, Duncan at PK, and Weigers/Stanley, and Jones/Mends are ones that jump out to me

Wow! That is an interesting Depth chart. Here are some things jumping out at me:

1) I'd be willing to bet that Daniels is at C come next Saturday.
2) Weigers/Stanley, I wonder if they burn Stanley's RS. I think we will know after the Miami game by who goes in to relieve CJ.
3) OL 2 deeps, only 1 Sr. on it. 4 Jr. 3 So and 2 Fr.
4) Scheel passes up Smith
5) A. Nelson must really be killing it. Phil mentioned him as being impressive, and now he is on the / line with Matt
6) Brady Reiff sighting in the two deeps
7) 5 Tr Fr. on the defensive two deeps & 7 overall in the 2 deeps

Can't wait for some football next week!

Last edited:
Wow! That is an interesting Depth chart. Here are some things jumping out at me:

1) I'd be willing to bet that Daniels is at C come next Saturday.
2) Weigers/Stanley, I wonder if they burn Stanley's RS. I think we will know after the Miami game by who goes in to relieve CJ.
3) OL 2 deeps, only 1 Sr. on it. 4 Jr. 3 So and 2 Fr.
4) Scheel passes up Smith
5) A. Nelson must really be killing it. Phil mentioned him as being impressive, and now he is on the / line with Matt
6) Brady Reiff sighting in the two deeps
7) 5 Tr Fr. on the defensive two deeps & 7 overall in the 2 deeps

Can't wait for some football next week!
I think someone from the gazette said that Welsh at center might be a typo, but we may see both of them there. I said a while ago that I thought Welsh would start until they were comfortable with Daniels and I thought Daniels would start his last 2 years. When Welsh was hurt, Daniels apparently took the opportunity and ran with it, so he may be the starter sooner, but like I said, we may see both there.
I still don't think they will burn Stanley's RS unless CJ gets hurt.
Ward moving from safety to LEO is a surprise to me, but remember, if Niemann goes down, Bowers will move to the LEO and Mends probably comes in at the Will.
A. Nelson is not a surprise, nor is Reiff IMO. I said a while ago that if he has his brothers work ethic he will 'work' his way onto the field.
Kulick/Ross doesn't surprise me either. They like using 2 FB's if they can, as those boys take a beating! If they're throwing, you'll see Kulick more I think....
Jackson must still not be at full strength.
As I said in my 2017 preview thread, I saw Hooker as the heir apparent for Taylor and it looks like he is coming along fine..........Let's play!!!

I think someone from the gazette said that Welsh at center might be a typo, but we may see both of them there. I said a while ago that I thought Welsh would start until they were comfortable with Daniels and I thought Daniels would start his last 2 years. When Welsh was hurt, Daniels apparently took the opportunity and ran with it, so he may be the starter sooner, but like I said, we may see both there.
I still don't think they will burn Stanley's RS unless CJ gets hurt.
Ward moving from safety to LEO is a surprise to me, but remember, if Niemann goes down, Bowers will move to the LEO and Mends probably comes in at the Will.
A. Nelson is not a surprise, nor is Reiff IMO. I said a while ago that if he has his brothers work ethic he will 'work' his way onto the field.
Kulick/Ross doesn't surprise me either. They like using 2 FB's if they can, as those boys take a beating! If they're throwing, you'll see Kulick more I think....
Jackson must still not be at full strength.
As I said in my 2017 preview thread, I saw Hooker as the heir apparent for Taylor and it looks like he is coming along fine..........Let's play!!!

Oh, I get that Bowers is the backup to Neiman, and that Mends slides in to start. Kind of like if a OT goes down, Boone will slide over to tackle and the staff will put in the next best lineman at G.

I agree I don't think they burn Stanley's RS unless their is a CJ injury. If they are going to burn it, then it will happen in week 1, as we should have a comfortable lead in the 3rd qtr.

One position I haven't heard much about is FS. What do we know about Brandon Snyder? Are we pretty solid there?

One thing I'll never understand is why not list backups at multiple positions? For instance, if McCarron were to go down I assume we would run Scheel, Smith, and Vandy as the top 3 guys (assuming they are the 3 best/ we should be doing that regardless but that's another topic). If Smith really is a backup he should be a slashed backup at all three spots. Do these guys not know all three positions? Can someone clear this up for me?

One thing I'll never understand is why not list backups at multiple positions? For instance, if McCarron were to go down I assume we would run Scheel, Smith, and Vandy as the top 3 guys (assuming they are the 3 best/ we should be doing that regardless but that's another topic). If Smith really is a backup he should be a slashed backup at all three spots. Do these guys not know all three positions? Can someone clear this up for me?

Not all of the guys can play all the spots. I think Jerminic is pretty locked into the Z spot at this time. They're teaching Devonte Young the B. McCarron and Vandeberg can play multiple spots fluidly but they're seniors.

Not all of the guys can play all the spots. I think Jerminic is pretty locked into the Z spot at this time. They're teaching Devonte Young the B. McCarron and Vandeberg can play multiple spots fluidly but they're seniors.

Interesting. I don't claim to be super informed on the topic but that seems really dumb to me. On a team that has historically lacked skilled players you would think you'd have the top guys have the chance to be on the field together. It would be one thing if we were Ohio State and the next guy up was a stud, but to lock two of our better guys into the same spots seems stupid.

Interesting. I don't claim to be super informed on the topic but that seems really dumb to me. On a team that has historically lacked skilled players you would think you'd have the top guys have the chance to be on the field together. It would be one thing if we were Ohio State and the next guy up was a stud, but to lock two of our better guys into the same spots seems stupid.
Well, because you're assuming McCarron isn't one of our 'better' players and I believe that is a little short sided. McCarron's better than you think he is and his speed is 'way' better than you seem to think it is....
4 Riley McCarron SO Wahlert, Dubuque 10.98 3A District 4 @ Marion 05/14/2010
He is a quick little feller............

McCarron posted a better 3A time in the 200 than Scheel in HS, and easily a better 100 time since I can't find that Scheel ever ran the 100...:)

Latest posts