Depth Chart for Michigan

So far Patterson's stats are not great.

That’s just it why are people sweating this dude? His legs are far more dangerous than his arm is. Yes, Iowa’s secondary is banged up, but Patterson can’t exploit it on any consistent basis.

lol, is this the game where Mccaffrey saves Harbaugh’s job?

Yes, Iowa’s secondary is banged up, but Patterson can’t exploit it on any consistent basis.

I've watched enough Iowa football to have seen a lot of games where the combination of a mediocre pass rush and inexperienced DBs have teamed up to make opposing QBs who are average in all respects look like John Elway or Tom Brady. I'm not guaranteeing that will happen Saturday, but I won't be surprised if it does. We'll learn a lot about this ball club on Saturday.

That’s just it why are people sweating this dude? His legs are far more dangerous than his arm is. Yes, Iowa’s secondary is banged up, but Patterson can’t exploit it on any consistent basis.

lol, is this the game where Mccaffrey saves Harbaugh’s job?
McCaffery has a concussion and is unlikely to play. That’s a good thing for Iowa I think he’s the better quarterback of the two actually.

I've watched enough Iowa football to have seen a lot of games where the combination of a mediocre pass rush and inexperienced DBs have teamed up to make opposing QBs who are average in all respects look like John Elway or Tom Brady. I'm not guaranteeing that will happen Saturday, but I won't be surprised if it does. We'll learn a lot about this ball club on Saturday.

Stop. You're giving me Minnesota scores 50 plus flashbacks.

True that!!
I already put my money down. I'm taking the Hawks to step up to the competition.

I stopped paying any attention to the Oline part of the 2 deeps. They shuffle guys in and out. Wirfs will be in at one tackle or the other and Linderbaum is snapping. The rest is a revolving door of randomness. I just hope Goodson gets more snaps. That dude is a game breaker and no reason to have him collecting dust on the sidelines. The versatility of having a guy like him is off the charts. Put him in motion some with either Sargent or Young out there too. Give them so much to think about. I want him catching screens. Bubble screens. Jet sweeps you name it. But get that dude 10 touches or more a game please and thanks.

Makes too much sense. Doubt that happens unless they are saving some wrinkles for Michigan.

Remember how they said they were going to line up Wadley all over the field before his senior seaon?
Never happened.

I am right with you on worrying about no Hankins and no Brents. I have zero concern about Goodson not being listed on the 2-deeps, though.

Hankins and Brents not being back concerns me greatly. Both injuries must be far worse than thought.

Lack of experience at cb is bad. This has me very concerned.

Agreed. I also think it's a huge reason for the soft coverage and not taking risk on pressure(stunts, blitz. Etc). I truly believe a healthy Brents and Hankins and game changers for the D.

Speaking of our defense, I am wondering if Michigan will give less attention to Epenesa this week. I wouldn’t advise it...actually I think it would be stupid.

Although he only has 1 sack for the year, offenses are totally afraid of AJ and are game planning him. This has to be affecting offenses we’ve played. Often it requires a running back or tight end to stay in and double team rather than go out for a pass.

Michigan knows our defense has not allowed a lot of points this year...adding another receiver out of the backfield in our soft coverage (rather than staying and blocking) could test our LBs and DBs.

This is exactly right. We have a habit of making qbs look like superstars. Combine that with the superior talent Michigan has at receiver, and it could spell big trouble for us. By far the best receivers we have seen, or probably will see all year.

Makes too much sense. Doubt that happens unless they are saving some wrinkles for Michigan.

Remember how they said they were going to line up Wadley all over the field before his senior seaon?
Never happened.
Very true yeah I remember that. They used him in the slot some but yeah he was still under used for sure. Hopefully BF can get creative.

Here's what i know from the 2-deeps. Our dline needs to have their best game of the year saturday. If our corners have to cover very long, this could be rough. Their oline stinks, but our dline needs to make plays, and i mean PLAY-ZA saturday

I stopped paying any attention to the Oline part of the 2 deeps. They shuffle guys in and out. Wirfs will be in at one tackle or the other and Linderbaum is snapping. The rest is a revolving door of randomness. I just hope Goodson gets more snaps. That dude is a game breaker and no reason to have him collecting dust on the sidelines. The versatility of having a guy like him is off the charts. Put him in motion some with either Sargent or Young out there too. Give them so much to think about. I want him catching screens. Bubble screens. Jet sweeps you name it. But get that dude 10 touches or more a game please and thanks.

I just smile about Goodson. I shared an article about Goodson a few days before the season started. That article mentioned how impressed the coaches were with Goodson. Many on here poo pooed the article. Even Rob commented he hadn’t heard anything on Goodson. I am glad to see the rumors are true. It’s been long, long time since Iowa has had home run threat in he backfield.

I am excited for him and can only image the potential this kid will have once he gets more Doylized. I hope that our backup QB gets more snaps this year (due to blowout games and not injuries). I am a little disappointed thus far that the few times our backup QB has been in the game, after all he starting in front another QB that’s been in the system longer.

Maybe I am just favoring a dual threat QB that can run the ball. It was so fun to watch Brad Banks break down defenses with his speed and elusiveness. I am not sure how quick Petreas is since we have seen so little of him but from the small sample size he appears to fit into that game manager type that Kirk likes to play.

Well here we go. We are approaching a HUGE game and this is usually where Kirk pisses down his leg. I hope that’s not the case this week and we can pull out a huge win. If not, well it’s just another Kirk season where we beat the weaklings in the non-conference and the weaklings of the conference. Yes, an Ohio State pops up on occasion but we all no that’s more of an fluke than any kind of trend. The exception was when ole Joe was still around at Penn State. He was as conservative as Kirk and played into Iowa’s hand by being that way. He always had the better rated players based on the star ratings. The two Pennsylvanians were birds of the feather.

Let’s hope for a win on Saturday. We all know the pressure is building on hairball to beat us. A second loss this early into the season and the Michigan fans will want to gag up that hairball.

Last edited:
Lack of experience at cb is bad. This has me very concerned.

I like D.J. Johnson back there. He bit on one at Iowa State, but this dude is physical as hell and athletic. Keep him on the field because he’s only going to get better.

He’s one of the guys Iowa has that can match up physically with Michigan’s receivers.

Latest posts