Depth Chart for Michigan

I think Johnson will be good eventually, but he isn’t ready right now. The receivers Michigan has are the best we will see. Peoples-Jones and Collins can beat anyone. We are thin in the defensive back field, and can only hope Patterson has a really bad day against us. We struggle with the type of offense they run, as they get their athletes in space and exploit mismatches. We have got to get pressure on Patterson somehow.

I like D.J. Johnson back there. He bit on one at Iowa State, but this dude is physical as hell and athletic. Keep him on the field because he’s only going to get better.

He’s one of the guys Iowa has that can match up physically with Michigan’s receivers.
I would agree that DJ has the athleticism and talent to play with these guys but he’s young and you can bet Michigan will try to confuse him when he’s out there.

He blew not one but two assignments at Iowa State that led to long TDs. He also blew an assignment that led to a big play on Miami’s (OH) first scoring drive when he was out there at cash.

So again I don’t question the talent he possesses right now it’s the reads and IQ portion that is concerning.

I just smile about Goodson. I shared an article about Goodson a few days before the season started. That article mentioned how impressed the coaches were with Goodson. Many on here poo pooed the article. Even Rob commented he hadn’t heard anything on Goodson. I am glad to see the rumors are true. It’s been long, long time since Iowa has had home run threat in he backfield.

I am excited for him and can only image the potential this kid will have once he gets more Doylized. I hope that our backup QB gets more snaps this year (due to blowout games and not injuries). I am a little disappointed thus far that the few times our backup QB has been in the game, after all he starting in front another QB that’s been in the system longer.

Maybe I am just favoring a dual threat QB that can run the ball. It was so fun to watch Brad Banks break down defenses with his speed and elusiveness. I am not sure how quick Petreas is since we have seen so little of him but from the small sample size he appears to fit into that game manager type that Kirk likes to play.

Well here we go. We are approaching a HUGE game and this is usually where Kirk pisses down his leg. I hope that’s not the case this week and we can pull out a huge win. If not, well it’s just another Kirk season where we beat the weaklings in the non-conference and the weaklings of the conference. Yes, an Ohio State popsicle up on occasion but we all no that’s more of an fluke than any kind of trend. The exception was when ole Joe was still around at Penn State. He was as conservative as Kirk Andy played into Iowa’s hand by being that way. He always had the better rated players based on the star ratings. The two Pennsylvanians were birds of the feather.

Let’s hope for a win on Saturday. We all know the pressure is building on hairball to bear us. A second loss this early into the season and the Michigan fans will want to gag up that hairball.
Funny timing. I just started a thread on the guy. I agree with you totally. Check it out I'll be curious of your 2 cents on what I asked

Is this game where AJ exploits their o-line? Or do they concern themselves with double/triple teams? Leaving others on D to make plays? It seems that Iowa usually plays pretty well in the big house. I guess we will see.

I would agree that DJ has the athleticism and talent to play with these guys but he’s young and you can bet Michigan will try to confuse him when he’s out there.

He blew not one but two assignments at Iowa State that led to long TDs. He also blew an assignment that led to a big play on Miami’s (OH) first scoring drive when he was out there at cash.

So again I don’t question the talent he possesses right now it’s the reads and IQ portion that is concerning.

2nd one was on Koerner. I’m not anointing Johnson, just like what I saw at Iowa State.

Iowa State went after him again after the double pass and he made a great play on an island downfield. Sure he needs experience, every young player does.

I've watched enough Iowa football to have seen a lot of games where the combination of a mediocre pass rush and inexperienced DBs have teamed up to make opposing QBs who are average in all respects look like John Elway or Tom Brady. I'm not guaranteeing that will happen Saturday, but I won't be surprised if it does. We'll learn a lot about this ball club on Saturday.

I'd say Purdy is by far better than Patterson and we survived him. Michigan's receivers might be a notch better.

This is likely a turnover margin game. Win it and win the game. If no one turns over then comes down to field position battle.

Hankins and Brents not being back concerns me greatly. Both injuries must be far worse than thought.

Hamstring injuries just suck. You can't really do anything about it. You have to be 100% or close to it to play.

Something is really starting to stink with Brents situation. Coaches are very vague when asked about him. And under KF, that's a bad sign.

2nd one was on Koerner. I’m not anointing Johnson, just like what I saw at Iowa State.

Iowa State went after him again after the double pass and he made a great play on an island downfield. Sure he needs experience, every young player does.
No it wasn’t. When the WRs get that deep in the coverage it becomes man. DJ tried to pass off his man but he was incorrect, unless you heard something different from the coaches or players.

Hamstring injuries just suck. You can't really do anything about it. You have to be 100% or close to it to play.

Something is really starting to stink with Brents situation. Coaches are very vague when asked about him. And under KF, that's a bad sign.
I’ve been saying that for a couple weeks on the Brents thing. Nobody is saying anything. Very weird.

actually i'm pretty sure the 2nd one was on both of them.

From a strict recruiting rating standpoint, this has to be the most talent we have had on the interior OL for awhile.

I am going to add Levi Paulsen in there among the 2-deep, as that is where he will slide once AJ Jackson is back full go.

For the ratings below, I am using the 247 composite numbers. Near as I can tell, 0.89 is the cutoff for 4*, and 0.79 is the cutoff for 3* (for perspective).

That gives us a 2-deep (+ 1) interior of:
  • Mark Kallenberger (0.8912, 4*; comparatively, Wirfs was 0.8911 in the same class)
  • Tyler Linderbaum (0.8869)
  • Jeff Jenkins (0.8786)
  • Justin Britt (0.8776)
  • Landan Paulson (0.8754)
  • Levi Paulson (0.8745)
  • Cole Banwart (0.8050)
Ironically, the only low 3* is Banwart, who is also the only returning starter from last year, and who is going to be really good if he can stay healthy.

Looking at what is coming down the pipe, there are two 4* maulers in the freshman class (Endres and Miller), and another huge, athletic body that some observers think is just as good (Fenske).

I think the interior is going to be good for awhile. Finding guys with the agility of Wirfs/Jackson is going to be tough, but I think we will be run-blocking well for years to come.

I think we see a lot of new looks in terms of the pass rush this Saturday. It wasn't necessary against MTSU and I have enough confidence in Parker to believe he didn't want to show anything Michigan could use. I could certainly be wrong but I definitely feel we will see a much more effective pass rush this weekend.

I know I probably have not been paying attention the last few games, but I notice Mansel is not listed as a 3rd option under QB anymore.

MTSU was probably Mansel's last chance to play this year. I am guessing he will be entering the transfer portal once the season is done. Unless he falls for the old promise like the coaches made to Tyler Wiegers that they will give him a fair chance to compete for the starting QB job next spring and summer. Then they won't announce the starter until late August and Mansel won't play a single meaningful snap all year. My guess is that Mansel knows better and will be gone sooner rather than later.

Latest posts