DePaul looking at Steve Forbes

IowaSS

As with most information on this board, only time will tell if the rumor mill is correct. I heard from a source that Steve Forbes is now on DePaul's list along with most of the up and coming coaches popping up on lists across the country. (Siena's Fran McCaffery, UTEP's Tony Barbee, Ohio's John Groce, etc) His midwest ties and recruiting are well known to the coaching world, but the athletic directors are just finding out.
The DePaul Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto hasn't said a word about who they are targeting- but like Iowa time is of the essence as every day is one lost day on the recruiting trail. The more I hear about Forbes and how he can recruit great players, the more I think we need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

Heard that as well, something about his late sister being an assistant women's coach.

Jamie Dixon (Pitt coach) is who they were talking about and here is an artical from ESPN Chicago

Greenberg: DePaul can dream, but it's not getting Pittsburgh's Jamie Dixon - ESPN Chicago

The main jist in this one from columnist Jon Greenberg-

"If a source close to DePaul thinks that Dixon would have any interest in leaving his cushy job at Pittsburgh, where all he does is win games and make NCAA tournaments and play in front of rabid crowds at sold-out Peterson Events Center, well, they probably hit the St. Patrick's Day Jameson's a little too much."

Doesn't sound like Dixon needs to go anywhere although you don't know what is going on behind closed doors.

Forbes may be biding his time for a big deal unless Iowa comes calling and he can come back home.

It's doubtful Forbes will accept a job while the vacancy at Iowa still exists. Iowa is his dream job and I believe he will not make any decision as long as he is still in the running for it.

Yeah, I'm sure Forbes will pass on increasing his salary by 5 TIMES to wait around and see if Iowa will offer. He'll take the first offer that comes his way.

Yeah, I'm sure Forbes will pass on increasing his salary by 5 TIMES to wait around and see if Iowa will offer. He'll take the first offer that comes his way.

That must be why he's turned down offers in the past.

What major conference jobs has he turned down in the past? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I'm just not aware of any.

After I posted that I realized that he had declined job a interview, not an offer, so I don't know of any either. But I still believe he won't accept an offer from DePaul as long as the Iowa job is available.

For what it's worth, I'd be shocked if Forbes was even being considered by DePaul. He simply doesn't fit the criteria that the AD says she's looking for.

You can't tell your fans that money is no object and you're going to go out and hire the best coach you can get, possibly make him one of the three-highest paid coaches in the Big East... and then hire Steve Forbes.

Ray Meyer was a class act. His son Joey did a fair job as his replacement. I'd like to see DePaul return to relevancy.

At this point what's a more attractive job? Iowa or Depaul. Both schools with history that are pretty irrelevant at this point.

I would very much like to see Forbes at Iowa. He's got the right feel about him. Recruiting, Iowa Hawkeye fan from childhood. Not a lot to dislike about him, only knock might be HC experience at Div I major conference school. Alford/Lickliter didn't have that either.

NM is worried that hair grease boy wonder will go there. Personally, I just don't see SA in Chicago as he is generally hated there and can you imagine 670 the SCORE having something to say about that since they carry DePaul games!

I would very much like to see Forbes at Iowa. He's got the right feel about him. Recruiting, Iowa Hawkeye fan from childhood. Not a lot to dislike about him, only knock might be HC experience at Div I major conference school. Alford/Lickliter didn't have that either.

But when I look up the stud recruits at TN they seem to be attributed to Tony Jones.

But when I look up the stud recruits at TN they seem to be attributed to Tony Jones.
That could be, but Forbes' resume certainly isn't limited to his time at UT. He is credited with great recruiting classes at Texas A&M as well. I'll be honest that I don't know much about Tony Jones or his recruiting history.

Latest posts