DePaul looking at Steve Forbes

DePaul...there's a school that was really good when I was a kid and has disappeared into oblivion.

Right on the money Jon. The 70's and 80's were great for them under Ray and Joey
Meyer but the 90's saw them slip into the cellar and haven't recovered since. (Joey's last year in 96-97 they went 3-23) I remember watching Terry Cummings and many other great players from DePaul a lot as a kid. They were on TV a lot then, must have had a good deal with the networks. (were there deals back then?) They aren't exactly a top tier program that a coach dreams of going to unless he has close ties.

As with most information on this board, only time will tell if the rumor mill is correct. I heard from a source that Steve Forbes is now on DePaul's list along with most of the up and coming coaches popping up on lists across the country. (Siena's Fran McCaffery, UTEP's Tony Barbee, Ohio's John Groce, etc) His midwest ties and recruiting are well known to the coaching world, but the athletic directors are just finding out.
The DePaul Athletic Director Jean Lenti Ponsetto hasn't said a word about who they are targeting- but like Iowa time is of the essence as every day is one lost day on the recruiting trail. The more I hear about Forbes and how he can recruit great players, the more I think we need to make a decision sooner rather than later.

I hope it is true. I fail to understand the infatuation with this guy who hasn't even been mentioned as a candidate for a D1 coaching job for even a mid major team.

If we want an Iowan go after Keno. However, I think Gary needs to fish in the pond of bigger fish first.

I hope it is true. I fail to understand the infatuation with this guy who hasn't even been mentioned as a candidate for a D1 coaching job for even a mid major team.

If we want an Iowan go after Keno. However, I think Gary needs to fish in the pond of bigger fish first.
Was Ben Jacobsen's name in the mix for any coaching jobs from 2001-2006 as a UNI Assistant? He took over after a coach change & now he's NCAA-Cinderella-Hero-Man.

Unless you have some clairvoyant divination telling you that Forbes is a bust, I sure wouldn't scoff at him.

Was Ben Jacobsen's name in the mix for any coaching jobs from 2001-2006 as a UNI Assistant? He took over after a coach change & now he's NCAA-Cinderella-Hero-Man.

Unless you have some clairvoyant divination telling you that Forbes is a bust, I sure wouldn't scoff at him.

I see the McD to Jacobsen hand off similar to that of Heathcoat/Izzo, Keady/Painter. He moved up in the same organization that he was apart of years prior.

Forbes to Iowa is not anything similar to that.

We would be taking a guy that hasn't worked in the state, head coached for that matter and hand him the reins of our stage coach that is very close to going off of the cliff.

My point is that Iowa needs someone proven.

I see the McD to Jacobsen hand off similar to that of Heathcoat/Izzo, Keady/Painter. He moved up in the same organization that he was apart of years prior.

Forbes to Iowa is not anything similar to that.

We would be taking a guy that hasn't worked in the state, head coached for that matter and hand him the reins of our stage coach that is very close to going off of the cliff.

My point is that Iowa needs someone proven.
Ok. But proven to do what? Have a winning HC record and take a team to the Sweet 16? Alford & Lickliter both fit those criteria.

It's doubtful Forbes will accept a job while the vacancy at Iowa still exists. Iowa is his dream job and I believe he will not make any decision as long as he is still in the running for it.

That wont happen. First come first serve. If Iowa wants this guy they better pony up now or someone else will.

Latest posts