Delaney - Firing Coaches

Delaney wants some serious power here....and Sally Mason comments on the Penn State issue...Not looking good for PSU....I thought there was no chance they would be kicked out....but by what the "unnamed source" and Mason said...I don't know anymore....

Jim Delany Wants the Power to Fire Coaches - Players - The Chronicle of Higher Education

This seems like an extreme over-reach. I hope the league members do not approve this. Sure, boot member institutions if that seems reasonable in the wake of actions they've taken or not taken that damage the reputation of the conference. But I can't imagine the universities giving up control of their own employees, regardless of how powerful said employees may become. That's an institutional governance issue, not a league issue.

I imagine that the universities, if they come to any agreement on this, would only agree that the Big Ten has the ability to fine, fire coaches etc in only the most extreme of circumstances, i.e. Penn State. Otherwise that would be a disaster waiting to happen. You also don't to give rival schools power to fire coaches or kick players off.

Yeah this is a huge overstep by the league.....if the BIG doesnt like how a university is handling things they should kick em out.

Interesting article, I have not seriously considered the possibility of PSU being kicked out of the league until reading that. But I am not so sure I like the idea of the league commissioner to be able to fire a coach.

I think the full piece will state that this would work more like a group decision, including the university presidents. Not solely Jim Delany.

bad idea giving the league firing power. I suppose they indirectly have that power by threatening to suspend or revoke their league membership.

. every professional sports league in america allows the commissioner to suspend or fire coaches

I wouldn't kick them out of the league. I would put them on 10 year probation, cut their BTN revenue, bowl split, cut scholarships, games, among other things and tell them if they don't like it walk.

Yeah this is a huge overstep by the league.....if the BIG doesnt like how a university is handling things they should kick em out.

Welcome to 21st century America. Every problem and singular event...is met by an overreaction. Usually one that results in more rules, regulations, oversight etc... when simple execution of the current protocols would suffice.

Delany and a committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of a league institution should their actions significantly damage the league’s reputation.

Not Delany solely.

Big diff.

I like it.

No way will this ever happen. However in the item, it did talk about how the B1G can vote to remove a school from the league, if 8 of the 12 vote for it (if something like that were ever called to a vote)

I would have no problem what so ever with Delaney having the ability to suspend coaches and what not but absolutely no way should he singularly have the ability to fire any schools coach. If it is a a consensus amongst all of the other schools presidents and AD's I would probably be alright with it.

No way will this ever happen. However in the item, it did talk about how the B1G can vote to remove a school from the league, if 8 of the 12 vote for it (if something like that were ever called to a vote)

I don't know Jon, Delany isn't rolling this out without knowing if there's at least some support for it. I think its reasonable to assume he's at least gotten some feedback from a limited group on this. I agree it seems unlikely on the surface, just saying he's probably not rolling this out there blindly. Then again, it is Jim Delany we're talking about.

Sally Mason was quoted in the piece, if she was against this, she probably would have voiced that, don't you think?

Last edited:

It only takes 8 votes?

Whoa.

Penn State better tread very lightly.

Latest posts