Defending Royce White...

ICHAWK

Who do you think Iowa should put on Royce White?

I will admit I have only seen one full ISU game this year when they played Michigan last Saturday on the BTN.

From watching ISU play Michigan it looks like White will bring the ball up the court at times and they like to get the ball in his hands around the free throw line extended and let him dribble drive to draw defenders. He seems to get around slower footed defenders pretty easily (he goes right best, and when he wants to go left he sets up his defender by going to his right first) and if someone comes to help he is a very good unselfish passer.
I was most impressed with how well he passed, how under control he plays and how well he passed.

I don’t know if Basabe moves well enough laterally to defend White and I would have for Mel to pick up stupid reach in fouls far from the hoop. Mel tends to want to reach even after moving his feet well and appearing to be in good position.

Who do you think is best to match up with White in the ½ court?

Yeah it's going to be a challenge to say the least. I'm sure we will likely use a zone of some sort, with double teams on him. But again, that leaves us vulnerable to the 3 ball again. Our achilles heel this year has been our lack of interior defense which in turn causes us to sag and therefore leave shooters open. I don't really know who we will pit against him if he's bringing the ball upcourt (McCabe maybe) and on the block I would use Brommer but I still don't think he can handle White alone.

no one matches up. maybe basabe if he finally shows up. if brommer's on him he'll most likely foul out in the first half. we'll just have to let him get his and try to limit everyone else.

No way on the zone.

Iowa is much better in man IMO. We get killed on 3s when we go zone, ISU has allot of guys capable of getting hot.

Between McCabe, Basabe, Brommer, and Archie we will do ok on White.

I would rather make him beat us than give up a bunch of threes.

He doesn't strike me as being 6'8" Is he really that tall? In any event, he will be a handful for whomever is guarding him. He's only shooting 60% from the line. I would rather hack him than give him a lot of cheap baskets. But don't do both.

Is White a legit 6'8? The first guy that came to my mind to guard White was May, but if he is a legit 6'8, then no way. I say Basabe, but I also haven't watched a single minute of ISU bball this year.

He doesn't strike me as being 6'8" Is he really that tall? In any event, he will be a handful for whomever is guarding him. He's only shooting 60% from the line. I would rather hack him than give him a lot of cheap baskets. But don't do both.

You beat me to it, hahah

Honestly, if you look at 6'7" guy and you look at a 6'9" guy, can you really tell a difference? My thing is this, if the size difference is as small as the size of a shoe sole it doesn't matter.

I find it funny that people find relief when they convince themselves that an opponent is "closer to 6'6" than 6'8". doesn't mean shite.

I would say he appers to be about 6'7 probably, don't all players get measured in their shoes to get that extra 3/4" and then round up to the next inch. He is very strong, plays really hard and when he gets his hands on a rebound he is not going to lose the ball.

I would probably sag off of him to make him pass the ball as his shot 10 feet out does not look too good so he will not be forcing too many jump shots.

We have 10 fouls with Olaseni and DArch. Have to protect Basabe and Brommer. If Basabe gets 2 early fouls, it will be over by the half..it might be regardless as I am sure Christopherson will have an out of body experience from 3 again, as will at least 2 other clones.

There is no good matchup for Iowa..

Who do you think Iowa should put on Royce White?

I will admit I have only seen one full ISU game this year when they played Michigan last Saturday on the BTN.

From watching ISU play Michigan it looks like White will bring the ball up the court at times and they like to get the ball in his hands around the free throw line extended and let him dribble drive to draw defenders. He seems to get around slower footed defenders pretty easily (he goes right best, and when he wants to go left he sets up his defender by going to his right first) and if someone comes to help he is a very good unselfish passer.
I was most impressed with how well he passed, how under control he plays and how well he passed.

I don’t know if Basabe moves well enough laterally to defend White and I would have for Mel to pick up stupid reach in fouls far from the hoop. Mel tends to want to reach even after moving his feet well and appearing to be in good position.

Who do you think is best to match up with White in the ½ court?

on White. Basabe would be the best equipped, but would likely get in foul trouble if asked to guard White all the time. Might as well rotate Brommer, Archie on him for 10 fouls, with doses of White and Basabe at times. Agree with others that if Iowa plays much zone we'll probably end up with ISU making 10 of 21 3's or something like that.

You guys have hit on most of how to defend him. Make him hit from outside, which is not his game.

Stay in front of him and move your feet... he is susceptible to charges. He's a poor FT shooter, so use all of your bigs on him and make him hit FTs.

I think the best defense will be to have him sitting on the bench. Foul trouble fellas. Go right at him on offense and force fouls and try to get him out of the game. I think this might be Iowa's best bet. At 270, Brommer may be the only one even close enough in bulk to body him out of that layup type of shot. I've not seen ISU play yet this season, so it'll be interesting to see just how skilled this guy is and how Iowa chooses to handle it.

Latest posts