Dear Mike Gesell

BlacknGold19

Please don't drive the ball into the lane and try to lay it up over taller defenders the rest of the season. Please call Timeout on your own if you get the ball with the last shot at the end of the first half and demand Fran to design a play. Please wake up as you are a 4 year starter and this is your final shot playing basketball.

But once again..please don't drive the ball into the lane where you get your **** swatted 95% of the time. Pass the ball.

Sincerely, Every Iowa Fan

What do you want him to do? Nobody else wants the ball. Uthoff has an iso on the wing, entire side cleared out for him to go 1on1. He passes the ball back to Mike at the top of the key with shot clock running down. He has to try and create. Play 2. Uthoff gets ball at FT line area. Wanted nothing to do with looking to score. Passed to Mike and once again he has to try and create late in the shot clock.

Can't blame this collapse on Mike.

I would take a game just like this from Gesell from here on out. Uthoff has to get it back if we're gunna turn it around.

Please don't drive the ball into the lane and try to lay it up over taller defenders the rest of the season. Please call Timeout on your own if you get the ball with the last shot at the end of the first half and demand Fran to design a play. Please wake up as you are a 4 year starter and this is your final shot playing basketball.

But once again..please don't drive the ball into the lane where you get your **** swatted 95% of the time. Pass the ball.

Not me...keep going Mike

Nah, at the end of games we make bets if he is going to be blocked from the rotating defender or trailing defender.

What do you want him to do? Nobody else wants the ball. Uthoff has an iso on the wing, entire side cleared out for him to go 1on1. He passes the ball back to Mike at the top of the key with shot clock running down. He has to try and create. Play 2. Uthoff gets ball at FT line area. Wanted nothing to do with looking to score. Passed to Mike and once again he has to try and create late in the shot clock.

Can't blame this collapse on Mike.

Uthoff was a wonderful five for fourteen from the field without a three. Uthoff has collapsed in the second-half of the conference schedule! I don't understand the hatred towards Gesell when Jake has stunk up the joint in the second-half. Don't blame Mike, it has been a team effort

Moar of these threads please.
It's spelled more actually. You aren't funny. And if you really enjoy watching Gesell get swatted time after time in huge moments of the game, or watching him stand there dribbling the ball aimlessly at the end of the half or most of our possessions not knowing what to do, you must really not care. Why shouldn't I post something on here hoping to God he reads it and actually listens to what I'm saying. Call a ******* timeout for once, take leadership of the team for once, make a play in crunch time for once. Listen, I know it's not just Mike. We are a lock for the NCAA Tourney. All is not lost. But if I have anyway of getting thru to him I hope he does read this. Do something different..or maybe I'm just waiting for a 4 year, 4 star starting point guard to play like one and he just doesn't have the ability. I just want change from him.

What about the 2 sweet dunks today! I don't mind him driving to the hole because I would rather see him aggressive when Jok and Uthoff are off, but at the end of the half and game, you're right. I wish they would get it across half court and call a timeout or pass the ball around.

Other than Jok, not a lot of basketball IQ on this team. If the 3's are falling they're good. When they're not Iowa doesn't have a lot to offer.

If people don't like the plays Fran calls, why don't they just say that instead of acting like he needs to call a timeout in order to communicate with them.

I don't blame Gesell at all for that last play. He converts on those drives probably 65-70% of the time with the other 30-35% of times getting his stuff rejected. Nobody else is helping out so what's he supposed to do?

If people don't like the plays Fran calls, why don't they just say that instead of acting like he needs to call a timeout in order to communicate with them.

Did you enjoy yesterday when we had the ball with the last shot down 3 then turned it over because we dumped the ball off to Woodbury unexpectedly and they raced down court and we foul them going for a layup to put us down 5 at half?

How many times has Gesell dribbled the ball waiting and waiting then he goes and gets fronted, has nowhere to pass it because every team knows Jok of Uthoff are trying to come off screens and they are blanketed..then Mike either forces a pass to someone not ready for the ball or he tries to drive the lane and gets rejected or throws up a brick to end the half. It's splendid to watch. All while Fran has 4 timeouts and just let's it happen

I don't blame Gesell at all for that last play. He converts on those drives probably 65-70% of the time with the other 30-35% of times getting his stuff rejected. Nobody else is helping out so what's he supposed to do?

No. Mike does not convert 65-70% of those. No way. He did better yesterday, but when it matters most he got owned at the rim and we lost, when we could've shot a game winning 3 instead

so you're mad at gesell for running the play fran called during the timeout? there was a reason uthoff got tackled. he was setting a screen for gesell to drive to the hoop.

i remember the first time i watched a basketball game

No. Mike does not convert 65-70% of those. No way. He did better yesterday, but when it matters most he got owned at the rim and we lost, when we could've shot a game winning 3 instead

Was thinking the same thing that # seemed really high. MG doesn't finish well. One of MG's biggest issues is when he gets into the lane and the defense collapse and his inability to consistently make the right descision on what to do with the basketball.

If Mike didn't play the way he did yesterday, Iowa loses by 15. He may get swatted from time-to-time, but he is the only one that asserted himself or tried to make a play.

If Mike didn't play the way he did yesterday, Iowa loses by 15. He may get swatted from time-to-time, but he is the only one that asserted himself or tried to make a play.

I agree. Mike did have one of his better games in his career yesterday. But once again he failed in crunch time and got owned at the rim. I will not defend Mike on the court. As a student/human being at the U of Iowa he has represented himself masterfully and his future is bright after basketball. But he just doesn't have "IT" on the court. He is a 4 year starter at the most crucial position on the team and he repeatedly turns the ball over like a freshman still at times, can't make a jump shot to save his life, gets swatted on nearly every drive to the hoop and has bricked MANY clutch free throws throughout his career.

I personally have nothing against Mike. I wish him the best everytime he plays. But he's been a MAJOR disappointment these past 4 years. Maybe I have high expectations. Maybe I'm being too hard on him. But that's just my opinion. The guy isn't a clutch basketball player..and as you watch the teams in the NCAA Tourney advance deep this year, the majority of those teams have great guard play and clutch players.

Latest posts