Dear Matt Gatens

Matt isn't 100%. That's obvious.

He's shooting 17% from behind the arc.
1-10 vs Idaho St and 1-6 vs UNI.

He's a competitor, hard worker, loyal Hawk.

Shooters keep shooting, but if his hand is still hurting, missing open treys isn't going to help the team. Granted, he had a bit of dagger in the one he made last night.

I would never be against Gatens shooting wide open treys if he was 100% ever. Never ever. Ever. But if his hand is hindering his release, maybe he needs to be more selective.

He looked better overall last night vs. UNI than he has all season, so maybe he is healing up.

He doesn't even seem like he's into it. Anybody else feel a huge disconnect here...and yes I know he's injured.

He doesn't even seem like he's into it. Anybody else feel a huge disconnect here...and yes I know he's injured.

I don't know where you get this from. :confused: He looks like a kid who plays hard, but is frustrated, because he can't do what he is used to doing (knocking down 3's, and using his left hand).

Anyone else notice on his drive and foul he was forced left, and he contorted his body to try and lay it in with his right hand? If he is 100% that is a left handed lay in and 1.

I thought Gatens played an outstanding floor game yesterday (and against Idaho St.) and it is just a matter of time before the shots start falling. Shooting is as much about confidence as anything.

Make a wide open second half three = Check

Score more than 50 = Check

Beat UNI = Check

Anything else you need???

Nope! Thats all I asked for

I wasnt piling on Matt, or saying he shouldnt play. He just needs to start knocking down shots or this team will really struggle to score. Shooters run in streaks so hopefully knocking down that big 3 yesterday will get the lid off the bucket for him

I really hope that his physical problems don't turn into mental problems. One of the downsides of playing hurt is it can effect your phsyche and turn a 6 week injury into a season long one.

He seems to have lost some confidence out there and I hope it's not a long term issue.

I don't think it is the injury as much as it is the hard plastic splint he is wearing. Yes, it is not his shooting hand, but he cannot feel the ball with his guide hand and it makes a difference. You could almost see Matt lose the ball on a layup he made last night because of the splint. I think his feel will come back and he will start shooting much better once the splint comes off for good shortly.

As far as him being into the games, I am not sure what happened last night, but I caught someone jump off the bench encouraging the players on the court. I had to rewind it to see who it was and it was Gatens! He is into the games, and the most encouraging thing for Matt should be that McCaffery is behind him! And as a player, if you are going to slump, out of conference is the best time. Hopefully it all comes together going into the big 10 season.

Latest posts