Deace

The OP asked about having Deace make his football picks on this board. I hope Deace can contribute now and then with his slant on sports.

I have a different perspective than Deace on some of his non sport views, but he has my respect. His IQ is off the charts to go along with excellent dabate skills. Like him or not, the Des Moines market is lucky to have his talent.

Totally agree, he is intelligent and well spoken, even if you don't like his opinion. I enjoy Miller and Dace in the morning, it is the only sports talk show that I make a point of listening to every day!

Give me a break, dude.

Just for giggles, who would you put ahead of Deace as far as media personalities go? Granted, I've never lived in Eastern Iowa so I'm not familiar with many guys out that way except Marc Morehouse (snooze fest) and Mike Hlas. Maybe I'm off base but to me, he's the best. I'm not a Christian or terribly religious, either.

Just for giggles, who would you put ahead of Deace as far as media personalities go? Granted, I've never lived in Eastern Iowa so I'm not familiar with many guys out that way except Marc Morehouse (snooze fest) and Mike Hlas. Maybe I'm off base but to me, he's the best. I'm not a Christian or terribly religious, either.

Regarding radio in the eastern half of the state, I am a Des Moines area native. As a student, I don't spend a particularly large amount of time driving or listening to talk radio here. I have no real desire to do so, either.

I would agree that Steve Deace is a good "media personality" in that he can draw an audience that listens and generates feedback. Whether or not it's composed of fans or haters shouldn't matter to Van Harden or Joel McCrea as long as people are listening.

That being said, the fact that I disagree with him 85% of the time isn't a character judgment. I don't know the man on a personal basis. I just have trouble taking people seriously (even in the context of college football) when they say things like "the Roman Empire fell apart because of homosexuals."

I can't disagree more. He rarely injects his politics into college football talk, and even if he does, it's no secret what side of the aisle he's on, and if you disagree, then simply ignore those comments...or his posts, for that matter.

But he brings an objective look at college football here, something that we, as Iowa fans, sometimes lack concerning our own team. I enjoy reading what he has to say.

There's zero reason to ban him. Just ignore him if you don't like what he says.

so I guess you never listen to Jon and him in the morning radio show. There he always finds a way to get politics into the discussion. I do enjoy his comments when he is talking football and doesn't have a dog in the hunt.

SportsTalkMatt- Did you really discuss Iowa being slow today? Did you see how fast they were in comparison to Arizona for example?

I really think Iowa gets a bad rap about bing slow, based purely on tradition...not based on the facts of this year

It's like people calling into shows and talking about how Iowa's defense is bad against the spread! Sure, that may have been true in the past, but they have been tremendous against the spread this season!

In central Iowa alone?

Jon Miller, Andy Fales, Keith Murphy, Matt Perrault, Ken Miller, Marty Tirrell, Andy Garman....

Need I continue?

In central Iowa alone?

Jon Miller, Andy Fales, Keith Murphy, Matt Perrault, Ken Miller, Marty Tirrell, Andy Garman....

Need I continue?

You cannot be serious. Perrault, K. Miller, Marty, and Garman don't come close to Deace. Not even in the same stratosphere.

You cannot be serious. Perrault, K. Miller, Marty, and Garman don't come close to Deace. Not even in the same stratosphere.

I disagree.

I like Deace (I really can't think of anyone locally I don't like) but his absurd over the top political views, which are about as polar opposite of mine as a person can get, really sour me on him.

Thats the things about opinions. You have yours, I have mine, neither of us are wrong.

I disagree.

I like Deace (I really can't think of anyone locally I don't like) but his absurd over the top political views, which are about as polar opposite of mine as a person can get, really sour me on him.

Thats the things about opinions. You have yours, I have mine, neither of us are wrong.

That's what I figured; deep down with you, it's all about his worldview, not his talent, knowledge, and ability.

So because Deace is on the right and you are on the left, his views therefore are "absurd" and "over the top" (your very own words, not mine)? Nope...they're just different than yours. You said it yourself, when it comes to opinions, "neither...are wrong".

In terms of solely his pure talent and ability, as well as his college football knowledge, Steve Deace puts everyone on your list to shame. There's no doubt that, if he focused solely on sports, he could have a nationally syndicated sports radio show, and the others on your list simply couldn't.

That's what I figured; deep down with you, it's all about his worldview, not his talent, knowledge, and ability.

So because Deace is on the right and you are on the left, his views therefore are "absurd" and "over the top" (your very own words, not mine)? Nope...they're just different than yours. You said it yourself, when it comes to opinions, "neither...are wrong".

In terms of solely his pure talent and ability, as well as his college football knowledge, Steve Deace puts everyone on your list to shame. There's no doubt that, if he focused solely on sports, he could have a nationally syndicated sports radio show, and the others on your list simply couldn't.

Perrault and Miller have forgotten more about national sports than Steve knows, but thats a story for another day.

I freely admit that I am biased against him because of his politics. I still like him, and enjoy listening to him. I think he's very good at what he does.

I'm not even sure why you're trying to pick a fight. Deace is good, but if given the options at the same time I would listen to most anyone else in the market.

Perrault and Miller have forgotten more about national sports than Steve knows, but thats a story for another day.

I freely admit that I am biased against him because of his politics. I still like him, and enjoy listening to him. I think he's very good at what he does.

I'm not even sure why you're trying to pick a fight. Deace is good, but if given the options at the same time I would listen to most anyone else in the market.

Perrault can't put together anything resembling a coherent argument. He just rambles incessantly and is simply painful to listen to. Ken Miller is better, but still isn't all that great...average at best.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just disagreeing with you about Steve Deace's ability, and I'm glad you admitted that it's not about Deace's talent, but rather his differing worldview that bothers you so much.

Perrault can't put together anything resembling a coherent argument. He just rambles incessantly and is simply painful to listen to. Ken Miller is better, but still isn't all that great...average at best.

I'm not picking a fight. I'm just disagreeing with you about Steve Deace's ability, and I'm glad you admitted that it's not about Deace's talent, but rather his differing worldview that bothers you so much.

"Bothers" isn't really the right word though. I don't listen to Deace and get all red in the face with smoke coming out of the ears or anything. Its just that I prefer not to hear it, and you can't avoid it with him.

If he never brought up his "worldview" and presented it as if it were some kind of superior lifestyle and stuck strictly to sports I would put him right below Perrault, but ahead of Tirrell.

The other guys have different styles so its hard to judge them against him. Murph and Andy (which might be the easiest listen in the market) are more of a light hearted variety show. Jon is a homer (but we love him for it). I call Ken "the voice of reason" on any show he's on.

Perrault and Deace are remarkably similar in terms of style and talent. I happen to know Perrault has pretty much the polar opposite views of Deace politically, but that never comes through on the air (which is a good thing, IMO).

Deace is superior to Perrault on college football, but overall he can't come close to Matt in overall sports knowledge.

Again, this is just my opinion, but I would guess if anyone in this market were to go national it would be Perrault.

I would like to see some imput from Deace on the board too. Think he does a good job with college and pro football.

In central Iowa alone?

Need I continue?

-Jon Miller isn't on Deace's level as a personality. Remember, I said "media personality" not just sports.

-Fales is an acquired taste. Seems you either love him or hate him. I dislike him. His act was fresh about 5 years ago but has worn off. Tries too hard to be funny IMO.

-Murphy is solid. He's very good at what he does and I'd give you that one.

-Perrault is a hack. His sports knowledge is very overrated but he does a good job of pretending to know what he's talking about.

-Ken Miller is another solid guy, but not on Deace's level in my opinion.

-I really liked Marty and Miller so I can see why you put Tirrell on the list. He's sorta the Rush Limbaugh of Des Moines. Great self promoter and entertaining. Him and Deace are pretty equal.

-Andy Garman? No thanks, might be the worst guy on the list you mentioned. May as well throw Cotlar on the list if you're going to put Garman on here.

I do have to say that I thought Marty was brutal to listen to, I tried to listen, just always had to change it. He just said stuff that I think he didn't even believe just to get a reaction. I think Perrault is the same way, just not anywhere near as good as Marty at it, I just can't listen to that show. Granted this is from a small sample size, as I said I try to listen but always end up changing stations after a few minutes.

Miller and Dace on the other hand are always entertaining, even when they are talking about Dace's grandma taking him to a Star Trek convention!

Last night on WHO Deace tried to work in some "sodomy" bashing into a review of Where The Wild Things Are. Steve, buddy, you're gripping way too hard. Way, way too hard. PS...evolution is real. It's to biology what gravity is to physics. God ain't afraid of it. Neither is my Catholic church, and that's some old school religion right there.

Query: Would an omnipotent God create a wildly diverse world, and human species, only to loathe it?

But I digress. Anyway, like I said before, when he keeps the extremist politics out of it, I enjoy his rather sharp wit. Although I'm not sure he really understands what's going on inside the mind of a competitive athlete at the peak of battle. He puts too much stock into extraneous factors, especially as it relates to football. Once that ball is kicked off, no athlete worth his pads cares about revenge or streaks or put downs. He cares about knocking the snot out of the guy in the opposite uniform and executing his responsibilities. If he's thinking about anything else, he's getting burned.

As far as media personalities go, this market needs way more Chris Hassel. That dude is freaking hilarious.

Latest posts