Dasonte Bowen

Good luck to the young man. I think he will be better off. He just never seemed to gel with the hawks. I think he will be just fine

Wish DB the best, he seems like a really good person. Drama free and always a good teammate. DB and Fran both hung in there as long as they could, but it wasn’t working. Hopefully, he gets a 2nd life the way JoeT did.

Last edited:
Sucks he got hurt. Sucks he didn't seem to get more of a shot then he did. That said he didn't really seem to be what Fran hoped for either. Hope he can find a lower level closer to home for him to find a better fit. Seems like a good kid.

Better off. :)
this is such a great answer. I was big on Bowen coming into the season, but he clearly was an issue that Fran had to resolve and resolve quickly as he wasn't a distrubutor or a scorer. He could get to the rack but couldn't finish. If Iowa is going to lose someone that played some this year, DB was the one you wanted. Now, they are a G short and they need to go get one in the portal, but IMO, bring in someone who can help your program, DB wasn't going to do that this year, he might have contributed some next year and maybe he would have been serviceable by the time he was a SR. but I am glad that we don't have to sit through it.

I for one, kind of like how Fran has brought in guys, gave them a shot, then they move on when the writings on the wall. Joe T, Aaron U, now DB -

Let's hope that Harding is the one that sticks because IMO, I like his game the most of those 4

Fran statement: “We are all appreciative of Dasonte’s contributions to our program the past two years. He is a tremendous, high-character young man that has a bright future ahead of him in this game. My staff and I will assist Dasonte during this transition.”

Like FM said, Dasonte is a nice kid. I think he wanted to finish up with the team but it's tough to sit and watch others getting portal opportunities before you can get in there

They need to change the portal dates. But, it's the NCAA. It sucks.

Best of luck to him. We'll never know how much the injuries affected his career here.
Yeah. Injuries. Just found out the Tony hurt his hand so badly against Illinois that he could not dribble a basketball. Still recovering. And, Josh Dix can hardly move, also since Illinois game. Not sure of details

Have to agree with InGoodCo,,,Bowen could get to the rim, but just couldn't finish the deal. He shot the lowest % from the 3 pt. line on the team and I don't think Fran ever inserted him in the game to shut down someone defensively. Hope he finds a team where he can have success. Maybe Fran gets lucky and finds that scoring/ slasher guard that helps the Hawks next year.

I think Bowen is more talented than most Hawk fans realize. For the past two years he was literally the only player quick enough to get his own shot and break down a defender and get into the lane. Super quick offensively, and not a turnover machine, either. He fits the profile of other extremely quick and talented PGs that, for some odd reason, Fran was just never able to develop. I don't remember the names, but this is like the 3rd PG with a similar profile: a classic PG with quicks, primarily a distributor, who was solid defensively. (Bowen's rep as a 'great defender' was never really earned; his defensive reaction time is not good and he was consistently beaten off the dribble.) Their downfall: none of them were great 3 pt shooters. Fran expects something out of his PGs beyond what most of us think of (and what zillions of Iowa fans say they want), which is the profile I list above. I think Fran wants a PG who 'gets the team into its offense' but who also can SCORE. It's just Fran's DNA: he's very comfortable with Bohannan at pt guard, for example. I think Perkins is actually the type of PG Fran feels most comfortable with: big & strong enough to defend, and a capable scorer.
I have no doubt Bowen will start wherever he transfers to. Seems like a great young man.

I think Bowen is more talented than most Hawk fans realize. For the past two years he was literally the only player quick enough to get his own shot and break down a defender and get into the lane. Super quick offensively, and not a turnover machine, either. He fits the profile of other extremely quick and talented PGs that, for some odd reason, Fran was just never able to develop. I don't remember the names, but this is like the 3rd PG with a similar profile: a classic PG with quicks, primarily a distributor, who was solid defensively. (Bowen's rep as a 'great defender' was never really earned; his defensive reaction time is not good and he was consistently beaten off the dribble.) Their downfall: none of them were great 3 pt shooters. Fran expects something out of his PGs beyond what most of us think of (and what zillions of Iowa fans say they want), which is the profile I list above. I think Fran wants a PG who 'gets the team into its offense' but who also can SCORE. It's just Fran's DNA: he's very comfortable with Bohannan at pt guard, for example. I think Perkins is actually the type of PG Fran feels most comfortable with: big & strong enough to defend, and a capable scorer.
I have no doubt Bowen will start wherever he transfers to. Seems like a great young man.
Doesn't really matter how quick you are if you can get open, but can't put the ball in the hoop.

They need to change the portal dates. But, it's the NCAA. It sucks.
Reason #2,842,967 that revenue generating sports programs need to leave the NCAA. Which would have the added benefit of showing people once and for all that the tail wags the dog.

Almost every player that transfers out of Iowa finds a decent home and a high level program, or drops down and does pretty well where they end up, so I think you're right. There will be plenty of suiters for him because Fran knows how to spot good talent and he's also a great developer. Other coaches know that. I don't think Desonte was going to get a better shot to play then where he was but he could see that he was being beat out, so while, I do think he'll be a good peice of somebody's puzzle, he didn't work for Iowa's system the way Fran had hoped. This is where I like the portal and how Iowa has the ability to get a do over on their scholarships every year. Guys who aren't contributing no longer have to remain here and be an anchor, we get to recruit right over them. I think it's clear that Harding had already quickly passed him with way less time in the system and frankly, I'd rather Harding get those minutes. Josh Dix also, passed him and coming into the year, a lot of people thought he might be our starting PG as it hadn't really been settled yet.

Good kid. Great attitude. But, he never demonstrated that he had a superior facet to his game. He was not bad at anything, but he also was not elite at anything either. At this level, you need to be elite at least one thing and then the coaches can build the other skillsets from there. If you are a shut down defender, the coaches can use that and work on your offense. If you are an elite outside shooter, but nothing else, well, the coaches can hide you in a zone or put you on the other team's worst scorer.

Bowen will do well if he drops down a level of competition, IMHO.

It could come together for Dasonte. You can see the starter kit. Maybe that happens at BC, UMass or somewhere closer to home.

On a side note, Iowa needs a PG in the portal.

Have to agree with InGoodCo,,,Bowen could get to the rim, but just couldn't finish the deal. He shot the lowest % from the 3 pt. line on the team and I don't think Fran ever inserted him in the game to shut down someone defensively. Hope he finds a team where he can have success. Maybe Fran gets lucky and finds that scoring/ slasher guard that helps the Hawks next year.

He also was a bit TO prone at times. Doesn't help. The past few "quick" guards that Iowa has gotten seem to play quicker than their head, out of control at times, IMO.