Dantonio has a rvelation

NCHawker

Looks like Dantonio recognizes that it takes more than a running game and sound defense to have success. Anyone wonder if KF will arrive at this conclusion?

From ESPN......

Bowl practices will be crucial for Big Ten teams: We don't know the
bowl matchups yet, but they will be daunting for the Big Ten, which will be
without two of its best teams (Ohio State and Penn State) in the postseason. For
the league to avoid another bad bowl performance, several teams must take
significant steps during bowl practices. Michigan State has the defense and the
running back (Le'Veon Bell) to win its bowl game, but it
needs quarterback Andrew Maxwell and a young receiving corps
to develop. Coch Mark Dantonio hinted this week that his offense needed an
update to keep up with the times
. Maybe that can start next month in earnest.
Minnesota has to get healthy and re-establish its offensive identity behind true
freshman quarterback Philip Nelson, who will benefit from the 15
practices. Wisconsin also will have a chance to iron out its offensive issues,
while a young Northwestern team that made major strides this fall must make
another before facing what should be a heavily favored SEC foe in Florida.
Michigan also gets some extra time to figure out its vision on offense with
Gardner and Robinson.

I wish it were not so, but I fear KF will never adapt and admit that he needs to change to keep up with the current schemes and landscape of college football. He has proven to be very stubborn and set in his ways. I hope he does make changes because if NOT, we will not be back to a bowl game for at least 3 years. Just look at our schedule in 2013 and 2014 and look at our talent void.

He just needs to find another Cousins. I suppose he feels he doesn't have anyone like that right now in the stable, so he is going to try something else.

Dantonio and MSU recruited and received a verbal (as part of the 2013 class) from a 4 star dual threat QB, Damion Terry, earlier this year. Another BIG school moving the way of mobility at the QB position.

This QB, by the way, comes from the same Erie, PA school as Bob Saunders I believe.

I don't think the "landscape" of college football necessitate changing the offense, but Iowa does need a hard look in the mirror to figure out its identity. Wisconsin normally does just fine with a power scheme on offense (I will gladly debate anyone who plays the 'Wisky= 7-5' card). Iowa tries to run a decent amount, but isn't physical enough (at least now) to pick up a 3rd & 2 on the ground. We're an undersized team that is also slow. We run pass routes that are suited to a spread-the-field 'Air Raid' offense, but we run them largely out of tight-ish formations (2-2-1 Ace package is a staple).

"Scratch where it itches." When Hayden arrived, he essentially said, if our best option in a given game is to pass, we may throw it 60 times; if our best option in a game is to run, we may run it 60 times. Out of 60 plays in a Ferentz-era game, we're always at least colorably close to 30-30 Run-Pass. I'm among the Ferentz critics that would be placated if it looked like we had an identity and a plan on offense. And yes, this was a problem under KOK in some years as well, albeit less so than in 2012.

Who is Bob Saunders?

Anyways, too bad Jeff Smoker has no more eligibility. He would be a perfect fit in a Dantonio Aerial Attack.

That Nick Saban idiot needs to get with the times and realize he needs to spread it out instead of focusing on running and defense. That is why Chip Kelly has a fistfull of rings, and why Notre Dame sux this year.

/any catch the sarcasm?

I don't think the "landscape" of college football necessitate changing the offense, but Iowa does need a hard look in the mirror to figure out its identity. Wisconsin normally does just fine with a power scheme on offense (I will gladly debate anyone who plays the 'Wisky= 7-5' card). Iowa tries to run a decent amount, but isn't physical enough (at least now) to pick up a 3rd & 2 on the ground. We're an undersized team that is also slow. We run pass routes that are suited to a spread-the-field 'Air Raid' offense, but we run them largely out of tight-ish formations (2-2-1 Ace package is a staple).

"Scratch where it itches." When Hayden arrived, he essentially said, if our best option in a given game is to pass, we may throw it 60 times; if our best option in a game is to run, we may run it 60 times. Out of 60 plays in a Ferentz-era game, we're always at least colorably close to 30-30 Run-Pass. I'm among the Ferentz critics that would be placated if it looked like we had an identity and a plan on offense. And yes, this was a problem under KOK in some years as well, albeit less so than in 2012.

Nice post. There are plenty of crap teams with mobile QBs, and excellent teams with drop-back QBs. It's not a panacea. But once the season starts, you better scheme to the athletes you have and not those you wish you had.

That Nick Saban idiot needs to get with the times and realize he needs to spread it out instead of focusing on running and defense. That is why Chip Kelly has a fistfull of rings, and why Notre Dame sux this year.

/any catch the sarcasm?

to play devil's advocate to this: no, but if you don't take advantage of how the rules benefit the passing game that is your fault. also, KF is no Nick Saban, which is the difference maker and trump card.

You can't tell me what to do. You're not my real dad.

It would be laffy if I wuz, tho. I think our age difference makes it a possibility. But I reckon your mom was out of my league back in the day.

/any catch the sarcasm?

Obviously you don't recognize the talent disparity between Iowa and Bama. you can run any offense you want with Bama's talent. Last time I looked they were near #1 and we were pushing #40..that's a significant drop in talent. Maybe you need to shave that fro BRO.

Obviously you don't recognize the talent disparity between Iowa and Bama. you can run any offense you want with Bama's talent. Last time I looked they were near #1 and we were pushing #40..that's a significant drop in talent. Maybe you need to shave that fro BRO.

That has nothing to do with the point at hand.

And seriously, you think I don't know the talent disparity between Alabama and Iowa?

Code for not a barn animal.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

Latest posts