Dan Gable ESPN article

It deserves to be in every forum.

Every time I read an article about Gable, I feel incredibly lazy, and dare say, inadequate. In fact, my laziness and inadequacy prevents me from finishing those same articles.

One summer in Iowa City one of my roommates in a house was on the wrestling team. I walked into the house one day and Dan Gable was sitting on our couch. I was so awestruck I can't even remember what I said, but he was a real nice guy. What a legend!

The man IS wresting. Noone got more from his athletes. Great read. I was never a wrestler but damn Gable was the man.

Every time I read an article about Gable, I feel incredibly lazy, and dare say, inadequate. In fact, my laziness and inadequacy prevents me from finishing those same articles.

"He'd skipped the gym and now looked longingly at the noodles. 'I don't deserve it,' he said quietly."

i was at the wrestling meet depicted by the picture of him matside in the article (1988). Carver was packed, but we found a couple seats really low that were vacant and we sat in them - gable came over (before the meet) and pointed at someone he was not please with - stopped and pointed his finger at them - the look on his face - very intimidating to me.

that wresting meet was quite something - read about it here: (i agree, carver was louder than it's ever been after that pin - the place was absolutely crazy. and i just now realized it was against voelker - who is now a Pastor out at Hope. I've spoken to him a couple times - now i'll have a new story to relate to him! :)
An Upset for the Ages | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Sports

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend had just sent this article to me yesterday. I sent it on to 15 of my Hawk buddies. A must read. The best article I have ever read about Gable.

A friend had just sent this article to me yesterday. I sent it on to 15 of my Hawk buddies. A must read. The best article I have ever read about Gable.

It's easily in the top 3 stories I've ever read, period. The only other stories even in the conversation are Wayne Drehs' Ray of Hope and Searching for Bartman.

I was down in the bowels of CHA way back in the day taking a leak. Gable walked in the bathroom and proceeded to use the adjacent urinal. Said hello, looked intense. That's my Gable encounter. I remember thinking "wow. he's short...and kind of unassuming...but he could kill me in no time flat."

One thing stood out about the story: His entire life was altered and has been dominated by the murder of his sister in 1964. He never got over it (who could?), and it has driven him relentlessly. He still blames himself for it, and he's been trying to assuage his guilt through his almost maniacal dedication to wrestling, because wrestling saved him from the abyss. It's simultaneously tragic and inspiring. It just about made me cry and I don't even like that sport.

Nice summary, Thunder. I felt the same way.

Actually I posted here so you could comment without violating your last-post-on-the-wrestling board vow.

I believe it was Scott Siepker (Iowa, Hawkeye and Cyclone Nice Guy) talking about his second place finish in the beard contest at the Iowa State Fair last week on Murph and Andy, saying that he was pumped up about it and mentioned it proudly to Dan Gable and Gable shot him a "Gable glare" and said "And you're ok with second place?"...Siepker was about to crumble when Dan cracked a smile and let him off the hook.

One thing stood out about the story: His entire life was altered and has been dominated by the murder of his sister in 1964. He never got over it (who could?), and it has driven him relentlessly. He still blames himself for it, and he's been trying to assuage his guilt through his almost maniacal dedication to wrestling, because wrestling saved him from the abyss. It's simultaneously tragic and inspiring. It just about made me cry and I don't even like that sport.

it really is amazing what drives people, isn't it?

well said. how can't you be inspired, and at the same time feel sad for the guy?

I was down in the bowels of CHA way back in the day taking a leak. Gable walked in the bathroom and proceeded to use the adjacent urinal. Said hello, looked intense. That's my Gable encounter. I remember thinking "wow. he's short...and kind of unassuming...but he could kill me in no time flat."

This. The guy turned tragedy into fuel needed to accomplish more than most of us dream of. At the same time, I wouldn't wish those things on anyone.