Dan Dakich basically called Iowa soft during Penn St/MSU game

HaydenHawk56

"Iowa has never based their program on toughness and that's why they never win the conference."

The guy never shuts up, but not exactly off the mark. It goes deeper than that, but mental toughness has been called into question before.

Wish he was wrong.... Some seasons we just haven't been as good as the other teams that have been winning though. For the couple of years where we've gotten off to great starts and thought we had a chance yeah I'd say it's a fair thing to say. This season I'd say so too. We have talent. Should be scoring 90 pts a game. Yet lately...

A big part of it to me is Fran can't seem to figure out how to use the bench. JT can't be playing less then 10 mins a game but most of the time lately he has. Especially without CJ it just makes no sense. There's plenty other examples of how Fran allocates mins that are head scratching to me. Not having CJ hurts on multiple levels there's no doubt. But we have a deep team. This deep into the season we shouldn't be searching for answers like this...

Hard to disagree with Jok Itch's take at the moment.

It does not make a lot of sense to me because Fran strikes me as a guy that would bite your ear off during a bar fight, and Connor did not fall far from the tree. Garza is as tough as they come. Bohannon is cocky. That's kind of a toughness. If a WWE cage match broke out amongst the whole team I would bet on JT being the last man standing.

This is a veteran team with some strong and tough leaders. I really did not expect to see a Fran Fade this year. Let's hope its just a dip and they finish strong. This is by far the toughest conference in the country. By far.

Hard to disagree with Jok Itch's take at the moment.

It does not make a lot of sense to me because Fran strikes me as a guy that would bite your ear off during a bar fight, and Connor did not fall far from the tree. Garza is as tough as they come. Bohannon is cocky. That's kind of a toughness. If a WWE cage match broke out amongst the whole team I would bet on JT being the last man standing.

This is a veteran team with some strong and tough leaders. I really did not expect to see a Fran Fade this year. Let's hope its just a dip and they finish strong. This is by far the toughest conference in the country. By far.

I agree that there's some strong personalities, but I'm not convinced those guys are what I'd consider team leaders. I'm looking for that guy to get in a teammates face holding them accountable for a bad play, or huddling the team up to regroup after a foul. We have personalities on the floor but I see those players filling a specific role, none of which is being that "guy" who's going to lead the team. Luka and Connor play tough and hard, but I see them doing it within themselves. JBo has that cockiness when he's hitting but can absolutely disappear when he's off. I just don't know that I really see any of them as undisputed leader of this team and agree that I think we're missing that leadership on the floor.

I agree that there's some strong personalities, but I'm not convinced those guys are what I'd consider team leaders. I'm looking for that guy to get in a teammates face holding them accountable for a bad play, or huddling the team up to regroup after a foul. We have personalities on the floor but I see those players filling a specific role, none of which is being that "guy" who's going to lead the team. Luka and Connor play tough and hard, but I see them doing it within themselves. JBo has that cockiness when he's hitting but can absolutely disappear when he's off. I just don't know that I really see any of them as undisputed leader of this team and agree that I think we're missing that leadership on the floor.
Luka does exactly this, have you not noticed?

Everything seems to fall into Luka’s lap. When you are the best player it comes with the territory. He has to be one of those guys that will get up in your grill if you are not doing what you are suppose too.

Conner is one of the leaders on this team, but he has a delicate line to walk because he is the coach’s son.

The old adage: “you take on your coach’s personality.” Fran is tough, but it seems like it doesn’t take much to get him frustrated, get in his head a bit.

Everything seems to fall into Luka’s lap. When you are the best player it comes with the territory. He has to be one of those guys that will get up in your grill if you are not doing what you are suppose too.

Conner is one of the leaders on this team, but he has a delicate line to walk because he is the coach’s son.

The old adage: “you take on your coach’s personality.” Fran is tough, but it seems like it doesn’t take much to get him frustrated, get in his head a bit.

Great comment regarding Connor. Not only is it about where the leadership is coming from but the players also have to buy into that guy.

His comment about the Hawks program not built on toughness could mean all kinds of things. Is he talking about our defense or lack of it, is he talking mentally tough, his he talking about players playing though a nagging injury, is he talking about our offense not going to the basket much and settling for 3s. I would want him to elaborate on that.

The only way to shut up critics is to change the results.

Iowa needs to play like a cornered, wounded grizzly bear tonight. Come out and kick Rutger's ass and rip their guts out. Play with an edge. Give HARD fouls. It's time to make a statement. I know this team can do it.
I agree 100%.

For those who didn't hear it, he basically also said that MSU was the same way until Izzo came in and changed the culture. Though Jud did win a title in '79.. He never got them past the Sweet 16 after that.

Dakich was going through his Big Ten Power Index and said "Iowa is doing it's 'Iowa Thing'".. Yeah. Then he came back to elaborate.

I too would like to know how to address the "toughness" issue. Recruit more guys like Chris Street, etc. who lay it on the line 150% every game? More guys like Ed Horton who will knock you on your ass if you get in his way? More guys who have ice water in their veins who don't wilt late in close games and can hit a big shot when you need it?

Alford used to rag on the lack of "toughness" when his teams were losing, too. But what's the answer?

Last edited:
For those who didn't hear it, he basically also said that MSU was the same way until Izzo came in and changed the culture. Though Jud did win a title in '79.. He never got them past the Sweet 16 after that.

Dakich was going through his Big Ten Power Index and said "Iowa is doing it's 'Iowa Thing'".. Yeah. Then he came back to elaborate.

I too would like to know how to address the "toughness" issue. Recruit more guys like Chris Street, etc. who lay it on the line 150% every game? More guys like Ed Horton who will knock you on your ass if you get in his way? More guys who have ice water in their veins who don't wilt late in close games and can hit a big shot when you need it?

Alford used to rag on the lack of "toughness" when his teams were losing, too. But what's the answer?
Well, it starts with the coach, and his ridiculous "take them out of the game when they have two fouls." What the F? Keep 'em in and playing hard. Hell, I saw a bunch of kids play with 4 fouls over the years for long stretches. Our coach is soft so the team plays that way. Quit yelling at your kids/ instead, defend your kids by getting an early technical. Hell, get tossed out of a game IN THE FIRST HALF, WHEN IT MATTERS. KNIGHT AND KEADY DID IT ALL THE TIME. SO DOES IZZO. STAND UP for your players. Play the kids with the most toughness, like Toussaint. This is not that complicated. It is war at this level.

If you lose, go down with your blood and guts on the floor. What the hell is wrong with this team. Mature and play harder.

Latest posts