Damn

I think there is a little more runway to the coaching ladder than this. I seriously doubt he goes from Iowa's OC to Wendys. Do you really think that is where BF is heading? Come on.

Scott Frost, BF, Charlie Weis, etc. Isnt Mike Riley still coaching somewhere? Hell even Art Briles kind of got another gig. The industry even tried to give Doyle another job before the uproar.

A candidate who merely continues on the BF legacy (which would actually be kind of hard to do given that BF was statistically the worst) would not kill a career. Just send him back to the minors.

Plus, these guys have egos. They think they will succeed or they would not be climbing the ladder.
Scott Frost isn't coaching and hasn't since he got fired.

Mike Riley "coached" in three different backyard beer leagues, none of which were able to finish a season or make payroll and rent. Saying those guys' careers weren't ruined by their abysmal previous job performance is a big stretch.

If Belicheck gets the Atlanta gig, wouldn't be surprised to see BF end up there. He loves him some Ferentz.
If O'Brien gets the OC gig in NE - I could see him going there as well. Lots of things to still shake out I just don't think Brian is unemployed long. He failed as OC at Iowa but he has lineage and connections that others who do what he does probably don't.

If O'Brien gets the OC gig in NE - I could see him going there as well. Lots of things to still shake out I just don't think Brian is unemployed long. He failed as OC at Iowa but he has lineage and connections that others who do what he does probably don't.

He's a good OL and TE coach. He's proven that.

Iowa would do well to have him back coaching the OL but I think we know that's not going to happen under the circumstances.

Scott Frost isn't coaching and hasn't since he got fired.

Mike Riley "coached" in three different backyard beer leagues, none of which were able to finish a season or make payroll and rent. Saying those guys' careers weren't ruined by their abysmal previous job performance is a big stretch.
Frost took a year off by choice. Who could blame him, he is still collecting big checks from his alma mater. He was linked with the AZ HC job of late. I doubt he lands anywhere that nice, but I'll bet you a year's salary that Scott Frost will coach again either as a lower level HC or coordinator at some level. Wanna place the bet?

Also, your idea of ruined and mine are different. 35 million dollars from Nebbie alone. He is young and has history of success everywhere but Nebbie. He has earned 10 times what an average person makes in a lifetime and I bet he has a 7-figure salary again sooner rather than later.

No matter how bad they flame out, coaches find new jobs. Its just an accurate statement.

I think there is a little more runway to the coaching ladder than this. I seriously doubt he goes from Iowa's OC to Wendys. Do you really think that is where BF is heading? Come on.

Scott Frost, BF, Charlie Weis, etc. Isnt Mike Riley still coaching somewhere? Hell even Art Briles kind of got another gig. The industry even tried to give Doyle another job before the uproar.

A candidate who merely continues on the BF legacy (which would actually be kind of hard to do given that BF was statistically the worst) would not kill a career. Just send him back to the minors.

Plus, these guys have egos. They think they will succeed or they would not be climbing the ladder.
Not sure Doyle is helping your argument here...

Not sure Doyle is helping your argument here...
No, its the perfect example. Here is a guy that was drummed out of Iowa after credible allegations of racist statements and actions, and who apparently treated many kids like crap through DB bullying, and did that make him untouchable? No, he got a better job in the NFL. Almost immediately. Sure, he was cancelled by all the public pressure, but he still got the job.

My point is that for those that say Iowa will not get anyone good because no one good will take the risk that this Iowa OC job will end their career, are hugely exaggerating the risk. Coaches, whether they be incompetent, racists, bullies, drunks, whatever, keep getting jobs. Its a merry-go-round.

Regards,
Brian Ferentz's Next Employer Paying Him 5 Times What the Average Person Makes

No, its the perfect example. Here is a guy that was drummed out of Iowa after credible allegations of racist statements and actions, and who apparently treated many kids like crap through DB bullying, and did that make him untouchable? No, he got a better job in the NFL. Almost immediately. Sure, he was cancelled by all the public pressure, but he still got the job.

My point is that for those that say Iowa will not get anyone good because no one good will take the risk that this Iowa OC job will end their career, are hugely exaggerating the risk. Coaches, whether they be incompetent, racists, bullies, drunks, whatever, keep getting jobs. Its a merry-go-round.

Regards,
Brian Ferentz's Next Employer Paying Him 5 Times What the Average Person Makes

But at the same time, how do you explain the long delay in hiring an OC. KF has a reputation not just among fans and media, the coaches iin the profession know that his offensive philophy is plodding and unorginal. KF's reputation, with respect to offense, is what's holding him back. IMO.

I hope i'm proven wrong.

But at the same time, how do you explain the long delay in hiring an OC. KF has a reputation not just among fans and media, the coaches iin the profession know that his offensive philophy is plodding and unorginal. KF's reputation, with respect to offense, is what's holding him back. IMO.

I hope i'm proven wrong.
It's not that difficult to understand. It sounds like he had Paul Christ pegged and that fell through and only recently. It probably put him in a situation where he has to reset. I don't buy that NOBODY wants the job. Chad Liestikow posited that a lot of NFL jobs have just opened up and his prediction is that, with his connections, KF will pick someone from the League. I could see that happening.

I hope i'm proven wrong.
I'm guessing it's due to a couple swings and misses Chyrst being one of them. Since KF pretty much didn't start the process till a couple weeks ago it kinda makes sense. Yet KF is just on his own time table I don't think he's got a fraction of the urgency everyone else seems to have.

It's not that difficult to understand. It sounds like he had Paul Christ pegged and that fell through and only recently. It probably put him in a situation where he has to reset. I don't buy that NOBODY wants the job. Chad Liestikow posited that a lot of NFL jobs have just opened up and his prediction is that, with his connections, KF will pick someone from the League. I could see that happening.
I don't know if I'm crazy about getting an NFL coach. I think a college coach from a smaller program would be able to hit the ground running faster.

I'm guessing it's due to a couple swings and misses Chyrst being one of them. Since KF pretty much didn't start the process till a couple weeks ago it kinda makes sense. Yet KF is just on his own time table I don't think he's got a fraction of the urgency everyone else seems to have.
And after ya swing and miss which takes time to negotiate the yearly salary and crap like that, ya gotta do it with anybody who you offer next.

I don't know if I'm crazy about getting an NFL coach. I think a college coach from a smaller program would be able to hit the ground running faster.
I can agree with you. If their offense works it works. You can tell watching, like how the spacing is on runs and how much they cross defenders up, play calling, etc.. Can't be worse than 130th for 3 years!

Last edited:
Sounds good to me.

Latest posts