Damn

Kirk likes his OLine coach. I think they all reaslize the group of seniors on the OLine have limited upside. They've seen ball players come and go for decades. They know what they've got.

AJ Blazek signs on as O line coach at Wisconsin. WTF?
As an assistant looking to move up, why would you come to Iowa with a terrible current OL, worst offense in the country, no current OC, for a head coach who’ll likely only be there for 1-2 more years? Once Farence leaves the next incoming coach will clean house and purge and he’ll be looking for a job again.

If you had a skill and were in demand would you go work at a place where your boss hadn’t been hired yet and the owner planned on selling the business in a couple years?

As an assistant looking to move up, why would you come to Iowa with a terrible current OL, worst offense in the country, no current OC, for a head coach who’ll likely only be there for 1-2 more years? Once Farence leaves the next incoming coach will clean house and purge and he’ll be looking for a job again.

If you had a skill and were in demand would you go work at a place where your boss hadn’t been hired yet and the owner planned on selling the business in a couple years?
The only argument is if the new OC was seen as competent he'd have a chance at replacing Ferentz.

This actually is a very good point and wonder how much this may have played into the difficulties locking down a new OC. Maybe they have to go for a young and up and comer who can't pass on the chance to coach and show their stuff at a P5 school.

Again, there is upside to the Iowa OC position, as much as many on this Board want to pretend its just a black hole.

$
Upward mobility for lower level coach
Literally nowhere to go but up
Astoundingly low expectations as to what will be called a success
And yes, there will be a HC vacancy at Iowa in the next few years

Can you imagine a young OC from the MAC that comes in and just makes Iowa's offense passable/competent? Like ranked 45th or so for the next couple years. And then KF retires. That coach could go from 200k to 3 million a year in a couple of years. Just sayin.....

Again, there is upside to the Iowa OC position, as much as many on this Board want to pretend its just a black hole.

$

Can you imagine a young OC from the MAC that comes in and just makes Iowa's offense passable/competent? Like ranked 45th or so for the next couple years. And then KF retires. That coach could go from 200k to 3 million a year in a couple of years. Just sayin.....
I've thought the same thing. If someone is half-ass competent, success will show as the only way to go at this point is up. There is really no reason not to take the chance if the $$$ are there. Iowa is always good on D and ST so an OC can really shine if they are good. In addition, ya have a chance at playing in some pretty big games with an outside chance of making the playoffs. Not a bad situation.

Also the chance to possibly be the head coach in a couple years if prove themself.

Stop confusing me. Thanks.

$

Or, hear me out here, he might come to Iowa where he ushers one of the country's worst passing and rushing attacks in the sport - He's the brunt of all the jokes around the country and he's considered unhirable. This candidate has to be willing to be put into a situation where he can't really control much and doesn't have a big enough say to drive any sort of change because the HC has been entrenched in the program for 25 years. He could be coaching high school in a couple of years and working as a part time realitor or selling life insurance. I'd stay in the MAC

Or, hear me out here, he might come to Iowa where he ushers one of the country's worst passing and rushing attacks in the sport - He's the brunt of all the jokes around the country and he's considered unhirable. This candidate has to be willing to be put into a situation where he can't really control much and doesn't have a big enough say to drive any sort of change because the HC has been entrenched in the program for 25 years. He could be coaching high school in a couple of years and working as a part time realitor or selling life insurance. I'd stay in the MAC

You're not helping with this hire!!

You're not helping with this hire!!
I'm just keeping her real. Everyone knows how positive I am about Iowa sports in general. I realize there are a lot of people who will want this job and honestly, there are only like 36 or so Power 2 OC positions available and it's the top you can go in college football before going to the NFL. That said, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to something like what Iowa has been churning out. Like, if I am a candidate I am thinking to myself, they fired the head coaches kid and the HC had no say in that move, am I putting myself into a situation where I am going to set up to succeed or fail? We know the answer to that.

Yeah, they could. They could just as easily also go from $200k to $950k to working a glory hole behind Wendy's after they become a laughingstock in coaching circles.
I think there is a little more runway to the coaching ladder than this. I seriously doubt he goes from Iowa's OC to Wendys. Do you really think that is where BF is heading? Come on.

Scott Frost, BF, Charlie Weis, etc. Isnt Mike Riley still coaching somewhere? Hell even Art Briles kind of got another gig. The industry even tried to give Doyle another job before the uproar.

A candidate who merely continues on the BF legacy (which would actually be kind of hard to do given that BF was statistically the worst) would not kill a career. Just send him back to the minors.

Plus, these guys have egos. They think they will succeed or they would not be climbing the ladder.

I think there is a little more runway to the coaching ladder than this. I seriously doubt he goes from Iowa's OC to Wendys. Do you really think that is where BF is heading? Come on.

Scott Frost, BF, Charlie Weis, etc. Isnt Mike Riley still coaching somewhere? Hell even Art Briles kind of got another gig. The industry even tried to give Doyle another job before the uproar.

A candidate who merely continues on the BF legacy (which would actually be kind of hard to do given that BF was statistically the worst) would not kill a career. Just send him back to the minors.

Plus, these guys have egos. They think they will succeed or they would not be climbing the ladder.
I expect BF to be working this year unless he decides he wants time away - he will be sought after for Oline or TE coaching in the NFL.

I expect BF to be working this year unless he decides he wants time away - he will be sought after for Oline or TE coaching in the NFL.

Do you see any scenario seeing him back on the staff as a position coach or is there just too much angst now? I mean he has small children in town here in the school and ma & pa live here as well. Just wondering if he'll view that as more importance than pulling up and moving for an NFL job.

Do you see any scenario seeing him back on the staff as a position coach or is there just too much angst now? I mean he has small children in town here in the school and ma & pa live here as well. Just wondering if he'll view that as more importance than pulling up and moving for an NFL job.
I think he's out for Iowa and Kirk and he likely had to just accept that. Kirk has himself to blame. I just mean, he's going to coach again, I'm pretty sure of it and likely at a high level. 1. he's a decent position coach and I think Iowa excelled when he was attached to the OL and TE's and 2. his last name carries a whole lot of weight in the sport of football

Brian has the luxury of being the son of Kirk Ferentz but you are right, coaches just keep getting recycled and that's how the sport is. Hell I heard Jerry Glanville is still coaching lol

They do all have egos and yes, someone is going to take this job. It's a OC position in the B1G - way more interested candidates then vice versa...but again, it's the caliber of candidate that has me concerned and the optics of where Iowa is right now. Entrenched coach on his swan song that clearly does things HIS way - if I am worth a shit I am waiting for a better opportunity.

I'm just keeping her real. Everyone knows how positive I am about Iowa sports in general. I realize there are a lot of people who will want this job and honestly, there are only like 36 or so Power 2 OC positions available and it's the top you can go in college football before going to the NFL. That said, I wouldn't hitch my wagon to something like what Iowa has been churning out. Like, if I am a candidate I am thinking to myself, they fired the head coaches kid and the HC had no say in that move, am I putting myself into a situation where I am going to set up to succeed or fail? We know the answer to that.
Without the nepo clause though Kirk will do the firing, he's not real fond of that.