Dace's Remarks about our "White" running back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talked about race all the time on the show, from the standpoint of not being afraid to talk about the things that people talk about among friends or at the bar and we took it to air. Did it ALL THE TIME. Our 'Culturally Insensitive Football League' bit we rolled out one morning off the cuff was probably our best ever segment. Please don't pretend like folks don't have any thoughts of skin color as it relates to running back, because they do. 'Great White Running Backs in the NFL' is a tried and true sports radio topic, column fodder, etc. Why? Because they are rare.

I've been friends with Steve for more than a decade now and know him well. He's not a racist. And I've also seen people react to him for over a decade. Most posts like this, or others, have everything to do with people not liking his worldview. No one was really and truly offended by what he said. Sorry, not buying that one bit. Been there, done that, seen it a million times. You don't like what he said because you don't like him. Which is fine, but don't hide behind a different excuse.

I find Deace to be a no talent self important *** clown whose only entré into the college sports world is through the coattails of his friend Jon.

The guy should stick to what he knows best. Zealotry.

We talked about race all the time on the show, from the standpoint of not being afraid to talk about the things that people talk about among friends or at the bar and we took it to air. Did it ALL THE TIME. Our 'Culturally Insensitive Football League' bit we rolled out one morning off the cuff was probably our best ever segment. Please don't pretend like folks don't have any thoughts of skin color as it relates to running back, because they do. 'Great White Running Backs in the NFL' is a tried and true sports radio topic, column fodder, etc. Why? Because they are rare.

I've been friends with Steve for more than a decade now and know him well. He's not a racist. And I've also seen people react to him for over a decade. Most posts like this, or others, have everything to do with people not liking his worldview. No one was really and truly offended by what he said. Sorry, not buying that one bit. Been there, done that, seen it a million times. You don't like what he said because you don't like him. Which is fine, but don't hide behind a different excuse.

I'm gonna actually give JD some serious credit here and say that he is 100% correct.

I don't like Deace's world view, and as a result of how he views the world, I view his portrait of race in a different light.

Jon's point is fair and true.

I stand by my statement, but admit that it comes from the point of view Jon brings up here.

HEY NOW!!!! I like Jesus and I like people of all colors. Now I can only like them so much as Diesel told me to take it easy on the like button.

I don't like being painted with a broad brush. Site owner or not. I don't know Deace. I don't dislike him, or like him. I stand by what I said. He gets away with comments like these, where I wouldn't, merely because he is media, or an entertainer, or whatever he is. I wasn't offended, but things like this probably just shouldn't be said.

I don't like being painted with a broad brush. Site owner or not. I don't know Deace. I don't dislike him, or like him. I stand by what I said. He gets away with comments like these, where I wouldn't, merely because he is media, or an entertainer, or whatever he is. I wasn't offended, but things like this probably just shouldn't be said.

So you weren't offended by what he said, yet you don't like what I said. That makes no sense to me at all.

What has Deace said related to written or other content that has appeared on this site that would get you or someone else in hot water? Give me a few examples.

Jon rushes to defend Deace.. Is this something new, :) how often does that happen on HawkeyeNation.. :rolleyes:

Whether its Deace or someone else, I will certainly point out faux outrage. Let's just be honest and call it for what it is. If people stopped propping up straw man after straw man as it relates to Steve, there'd be a lot less of it. People don't like him; that's fine. Just don't make up some other excuse as to why.

Here is an item that is a little bit dated (from four years ago), but pretty much makes the same points Deace made. It's one of hundreds you can google quite easily.

Hill: Whatever happened to the white tailback? - ESPN Page 2

Many of us watch sports not caring if the men on the field are purple or magenta, as long as they produce. But watch sports long enough and you inevitably notice trends and rarities. One of them is that white tailbacks at the college and professional level have become virtually nonexistent.

In 2007, just 13 of the top 100 rushers in the Football Bowl Subdivision were white. The SEC and Pac-10 each have just one white starting tailback in their respective leagues, Vanderbilt's Jared Hawkins and Stanford's Toby Gerhart. And McGuffie is the Big Ten's lone starting white tailback.

In the NFL, white tailbacks are even scarcer. Not one white player starts at tailback on any of the NFL's 32 teams. The last time a white tailback was taken in the first round of the NFL draft was 1974, when the Los Angeles Rams selected Penn State's John Cappelletti with the 11th overall pick.

With such a deeply entrenched trend, you wonder if ESPN college football analyst Craig James might be the last white player to rush for more than 1,000 yards in the NFL or if former Washington Redskins legend John Riggins will be the last white feature back to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

PS: The author this piece is black...so it's all good.

Here is an item that is a little bit dated (from four years ago), but pretty much makes the same points Deace made. It's one of hundreds you can google quite easily.

Many of us watch sports not caring if the men on the field are purple or magenta, as long as they produce. But watch sports long enough and you inevitably notice trends and rarities. One of them is that white tailbacks at the college and professional level have become virtually nonexistent.

In 2007, just 13 of the top 100 rushers in the Football Bowl Subdivision were white. The SEC and Pac-10 each have just one white starting tailback in their respective leagues, Vanderbilt's Jared Hawkins and Stanford's Toby Gerhart. And McGuffie is the Big Ten's lone starting white tailback.

In the NFL, white tailbacks are even scarcer. Not one white player starts at tailback on any of the NFL's 32 teams. The last time a white tailback was taken in the first round of the NFL draft was 1974, when the Los Angeles Rams selected Penn State's John Cappelletti with the 11th overall pick.

With such a deeply entrenched trend, you wonder if ESPN college football analyst Craig James might be the last white player to rush for more than 1,000 yards in the NFL or if former Washington Redskins legend John Riggins will be the last white feature back to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I'll say I agree with you on this. I've not watched the video, but if people want to make the complaint that Deace went to that particular point a little too often when referring to Weisman, that's a little different than being upset because he pointed out the rarity of a white feature back. The later is a truth that we all realize and say at some point around the water cooler. The former can rub some people the wrong way.

That same author also likes to compare people to Hilter...so it's all good.

Jemele Hill Suspended Over Hitler Comment

So you weren't offended by what he said, yet you don't like what I said. That makes no sense to me at all.

What has Deace said related to written or other content that has appeared on this site that would get you or someone else in hot water? Give me a few examples.

You made a generalization, that people were only offended to the extent they disliked Deace or Deace's world view. I don't know what Deace's world view is. I don't know Deace. I neither like him, or dislike him.

None of this applies to me.

And I can't go around joking about white running backs, or placing a vocal emphasis on a name that sounds Jewish. I can't do that, and if I did, people would think less of me. As they should.

People in media can say things like this, and they do it all the time. I can't. Nor do I care to. Media people say things like this = no big deal. Golfer says something like this = hot water.

Which is relevant how to the rarity of white running backs at the major college football level discussion?

When pointing out that it's fair game to talk about a subject, you're probably better off not linking to something written by a writer who has been suspended for insensitive remarks like that.

You made a generalization, that people were only offended to the extent they disliked Deace or Deace's world view. I don't know what Deace's world view is. I don't know Deace. I neither like him, or dislike him.

None of this applies to me.

And I can't go around joking about white running backs, or placing a vocal emphasis on a name that sounds Jewish. I can't do that, and if I did, people would think less of me. As they should.

People in media can say things like this, and they do it all the time. I can't. Nor do I care to. Media people say things like this = no big deal. Golfer says something like this = hot water.

If you start a post about the paucity of white running backs in major college football, which is a fact, not sure how that gets you in hot water. If you do so while posting a gif of dudes in white sheets, that's not gonna fly.

As for the Jewish stuff, good freaking grief the thought never entered my mind. It only supports my feelings more..if people are gonna look for something to hate on, they'll find it.

When pointing out that it's fair game to talk about a subject, you're probably better off not linking to something written by a writer who has been suspended for insensitive remarks like that.

I could care less about her or her racist remarks. I didn't seek out 'racist authors who wrote something about white running backs' in my google search. Her article related to the dearth of white running backs was spot on, supported with facts and is something people make a mental acknowledgement of when they see it due to said rarity, even if they choose not to verbalize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts