Cyrus K may be visiting Saturday....

Raziel

I had written it off as an impossibility at this point, however, there is some hope yet it seems according to Jamie Newberg of ESPN:

JNewbergESPN Jamie Newberg

DeMatha,Md. teammates Cyrus Kouandijo & Darian Cooper will visit Iowa this weekend.Cyrus will leave on Sat after SATs.He texted me this a.m.

Twitter

Re: Cyrus K may be visiting Saturdaay....

Wow that is surprising, hopefully kirk can work his magic.

Josh Harvey and Rob Howe have just tweeted it as well. Sounds like he'll leave early to take the SATs according to a different source. Great news!!! Someone on Rivals said this is also on Cyrus's Facebook page. I don't use FB, so I can't verify.

I knew that sone of us had given up hope- but I'm glad I remained positive. I really think that KF may have used the recruiting of Seantrel as ammo. He was the most sought after recruit last year surrounded with just as much drama. He was all but in tOSU's backpocket, then committed to USC- released from scholarship, goes to an overhyped Miami team which cans it's coach. He has been lost in the annals of CFB. KF has stability in staffing guaranteed over the next three years, because he will be leaving after three years- and My money is in KF's corner with whom could prepare him the best and fastest for the NFL. No other program can offer that!

He was the most sought after recruit last year surrounded with just as much drama.

That is either a really bad comparison or a poor choice of words. Seantrel's recruitment featured A LOT more drama than Cyrus K, most notably with regard to Seantrel's father. CK's recruitment has been very drama free in comparison to SH last year.

Frankly, if CK had the same attitude toward recruitment as SH (or maybe more accurately, SH's father), I wouldn't want CK to committ to Iowa anyway.

That is either a really bad comparison or a poor choice of words. Seantrel's recruitment featured A LOT more drama than Cyrus K, most notably with regard to Seantrel's father. CK's recruitment has been very drama free in comparison to SH last year.

Frankly, if CK had the same attitude toward recruitment as SH (or maybe more accurately, SH's father), I wouldn't want CK to committ to Iowa anyway.

My point was not to compare the two's drama as the same- but in fact as polar opposites, seantrel's recruitment was just as highly sought after as CK, but only seantrel's was correlative to the drama. Could have been worded better, yes, I would be an idiot to claim CK has had the same drama. One could make the arguement that we as fans have been JUST as wrapped up with CK as we were with Seantrel, no?

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that Henderson has been lost in the annals of college football. I think he made freshmen All American team.

My point was not to compare the two's drama as the same- but in fact as polar opposites, seantrel's recruitment was just as highly sought after as CK, but only seantrel's was correlative to the drama. Could have been worded better, yes, I would be an idiot to claim CK has had the same drama. One could make the arguement that we as fans have been JUST as wrapped up with CK as we were with Seantrel, no?

From a fans perspective maybe, but that isn't what you wrote, which is why I added the fact that you may have just chosen poor wording, which appears to be the case.

I agree that the fan perspective on the two players is roughly the same (though, there were more people criticizing SH's recruitment due to the "drama" surrounding his father), but in no way are the two players actual recruitment similar with regard to "drama" (by any definition other than from a fan perspective).

I think the pressure from fans to get Henderson was more intense than with Cy Ko, mostly because of how much Iowa was losing off the offensive line last year. I think the feeling was that if Iowa could just land a five star OL to put at RT opposite of Rieff, then the OL would be fine despite the departures. (Maybe true, maybe not. Certainly wouldn't have hurt to have him even if Zusevics did well this year)

This year, although landing Cyrus would be awesome, I'm not sure if there is as much urgency on the offensive line. Iowa already has quite a few players (plus a few OL recruits this year) on the line that I'm really excited to see. For just one example, here's hoping Gettis can actually make it through a few games without getting injured next year!

Back on topic, it's good to see that Cyrus is visiting! Visits from high profile recruits are good news as it shows the respect for our coaching staff.

I think the pressure from fans to get Henderson was more intense than with Cy Ko, mostly because of how much Iowa was losing off the offensive line last year. I think the feeling was that if Iowa could just land a five star OL to put at RT opposite of Rieff, then the OL would be fine despite the departures. (Maybe true, maybe not. Certainly wouldn't have hurt to have him even if Zusevics did well this year)

This year, although landing Cyrus would be awesome, I'm not sure if there is as much urgency on the offensive line. Iowa already has quite a few players (plus a few OL recruits this year) on the line that I'm really excited to see. For just one example, here's hoping Gettis can actually make it through a few games without getting injured next year!

Back on topic, it's good to see that Cyrus is visiting! Visits from high profile recruits are good news as it shows the respect for our coaching staff.

This is why it would be excellent to land him. He wouldn't be forced into a starting role right away. We could afford to redshirt him (Zus is a senior this year), and then he could take over at either tackle spot (if Reiff goes pro).

Getting recruits on campus seems to be a huge factor in Iowa landing them. Hopefully the weather this weekend is reasonably mild.

Just checked the forecast on Saturday....high of 12 and a high of 11 on Sunday. I was hoping for an unseasonably warm 60 degree day....doesn't look like that is in the cards.

Just checked the forecast on Saturday....high of 12 and a high of 11 on Sunday. I was hoping for an unseasonably warm 60 degree day....doesn't look like that is in the cards.
I don't think the weather makes a huge difference. I know he doesn't like the cold, but the fact that he is almost guaranteed to play on sunday early in career if commits to Iowa is more important. Iowa didn't play in real cold weather this year. NFL owners have stated that they love to get a player from Iowa because they come prepared to play. With Angerer, Bulaga, and Tony M. starting on good NFL teams as rookies, I think CK knows what is best for him. I would be suprised if he didn't commit to the Hawks especially if Cooper commits. I think these are the year end suprises we get almost every year.

I don't think the weather makes a huge difference. I know he doesn't like the cold, but the fact that he is almost guaranteed to play on sunday early in career if commits to Iowa is more important. Iowa didn't play in real cold weather this year. NFL owners have stated that they love to get a player from Iowa because they come prepared to play. With Angerer, Bulaga, and Tony M. starting on good NFL teams as rookies, I think CK knows what is best for him. I would be suprised if he didn't commit to the Hawks especially if Cooper commits. I think these are the year end suprises we get almost every year.

You think Iowa is the only school that puts players in the NFL? Pretty sure Alabama and USC have a few guys playing on Sunday as well.

Iowa fans say the same crap every year about Ferentz and his reputation for putting lineman in the NFL and every year those stud lineman don't choose Iowa. Beaches and babes win out.

I knew that sone of us had given up hope- but I'm glad I remained positive. I really think that KF may have used the recruiting of Seantrel as ammo. He was the most sought after recruit last year surrounded with just as much drama. He was all but in tOSU's backpocket, then committed to USC- released from scholarship, goes to an overhyped Miami team which cans it's coach. He has been lost in the annals of CFB. KF has stability in staffing guaranteed over the next three years, because he will be leaving after three years- and My money is in KF's corner with whom could prepare him the best and fastest for the NFL. No other program can offer that!

100% agreed, Reiff was underated out of high school and is in the top 15 for next years draft as an underdclassmen. Cyrus is already the size of an NFL lineman, give Kirk 3 years with him to work on technique and he will be in an Iowa uni for only 3 years.

You think Iowa is the only school that puts players in the NFL? Pretty sure Alabama and USC have a few guys playing on Sunday as well.

Iowa fans say the same crap every year about Ferentz and his reputation for putting lineman in the NFL and every year those stud lineman don't choose Iowa. Beaches and babes win out.

Does Ferentz not put good lineman in the NFL?

I got what you were saying even if it got misconstrued.

Two equally hyped recruits - one of them bought into the hype (SH) the other one didn't (CyKo). The one who bought into his own hype fell for the snake-oil salesman (twice) - hopefully the other one doesn't.

I did some of this research today
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]O-Linemen in the NFL by college

Alabama (26 players total)
5 (only 1 OT)

USC (43 players total)
7 (3 OT)

Auburn (28 players total)
4 (2 OT)

Iowa (30 players total)
6 (1 OT)[/FONT]

Iowa currently has more active players in the NFL than Alabama and Auburn. Iowa has more currently O-linemen than both teams as well. USC has more players and linemen, but also has Kiffen as a coach and NCAA sanctions.

I did some of this research today
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]O-Linemen in the NFL by college

Alabama (26 players total)
5 (only 1 OT)

USC (43 players total)
7 (3 OT)

Auburn (28 players total)
4 (2 OT)

Iowa (30 players total)
6 (1 OT)[/FONT]

Iowa currently has more active players in the NFL than Alabama and Auburn. Iowa has more currently O-linemen than both teams as well. USC has more players and linemen, but also has Kiffen as a coach and NCAA sanctions.

Good numbers. The difference is that USC and Auburn have different staffs than the staff that put most/all of those in the NFL. Alabama will have a new OL coach next year. Our staff has stayed in place for a long time.

Latest posts