Cyclone appreciation thread

WTF...there's nothing to appreciate. That's a school/fan base that deserves nothing but pain and suffering. There's no limit to my hatred of them.

But it's the SUN BELT, do you realize how huge of a gap there is between the competition of a P5 conference and the Sun Belt? Well....minus the Big 12.....

I get that they are a decent team, but no team in the Sun Belt should be able to beat a champion of a P5 conference and they beat Iowa State badly. Imagine if Louisiana took the field against Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or Notre Dame, they would get the shit kicked out of them.

The top team or maybe top couple of teams in the Sun Belt are probably better than the mid pack P5 teams most years. I think that Coastal Carolina could probably go 6-2 with our schedule this year, maybe even 7-1. Coastal and App State both fairly recently moved up to FBS and their facilities aren't the greatest, but Boone, NC and Conway, SC are probably easier to recruit southern kids to than any of the shit towns with middling programs in the Big Ten or Big 12. The Midwest is losing the demographics battle in a big way and those teams getting good is a result.

So yeah, we can bash the Sun Belt and a conference champ losing to a Sun Belt, but those top Sun Belt teams are probably legitimately somewhere between the 20th and 30th best programs in any given year and the 20th best team beating a conference co-champ isn't totally unheard of.

But all that said, I do agree that a program like Alabama would wipe the floor with a good Sun Belt team.

The top team or maybe top couple of teams in the Sun Belt are probably better than the mid pack P5 teams most years. I think that Coastal Carolina could probably go 6-2 with our schedule this year, maybe even 7-1. Coastal and App State both fairly recently moved up to FBS and their facilities aren't the greatest, but Boone, NC and Conway, SC are probably easier to recruit southern kids to than any of the shit towns with middling programs in the Big Ten or Big 12. The Midwest is losing the demographics battle in a big way and those teams getting good is a result.

So yeah, we can bash the Sun Belt and a conference champ losing to a Sun Belt, but those top Sun Belt teams are probably legitimately somewhere between the 20th and 30th best programs in any given year and the 20th best team beating a conference co-champ isn't totally unheard of.

But all that said, I do agree that a program like Alabama would wipe the floor with a good Sun Belt team.

I suppose you're right, I'm looking through their wins and see Coastal Carolina crushed Kansas (38-23), Arkansas State kicked Kansas State's ass (35-31). So the top Sun Belt team could win a few games in a P5 conference, well no shit. But in any other year the top team in the Big 12 would beat any team in the Sun Belt rather handily.

I suppose you're right, I'm looking through their wins and see Coastal Carolina crushed Kansas (38-23), Arkansas State kicked Kansas State's ass (35-31). So the top Sun Belt team could win a few games in a P5 conference, well no shit. But in any other year the top team in the Big 12 would beat any team in the Sun Belt rather handily.

That top team is usually Oklahoma and I agree, but even Oklahoma damned near got taken out by Army a few years ago early in the season. Crazy shit happens when even an elite team has a new QB. I think the Sun Belt has vastly surpassed the MAC in terms of talent and the top of that conference is really good. Not quite Boise State during their run good, but still really good. This year's wins notwithstanding, that Troy win in Lincoln had to be one of the best games ever.

I saw this article and thought it was an interesting perspective from former ISU head coach Jim Walden.

Jim Walden =

goober.jpg

But it's the SUN BELT, do you realize how huge of a gap there is between the competition of a P5 conference and the Sun Belt? Well....minus the Big 12.....

I get that they are a decent team, but no team in the Sun Belt should be able to beat a champion of a P5 conference and they beat Iowa State badly. Imagine if Louisiana took the field against Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or Notre Dame, they would get the shit kicked out of them.
I think the way Louisiana beat them was even more interesting. They beat them the way Iowa wants to beat them. Pounding the crap out of them in the fourth quarter and taking the ball late in the fourth quarter and running it right at them, run after run, first down after first down...resulting in a score to end any hope...hell...Campbell wasn't even using his timeouts...he knew they were done. They took away ISU's manhood.

Does everyone forget how bad they looked against Louisiana Lafayette? Maybe it was just the first game jitters or maybe Ragin Cajuns are really good. Are the Clowns really all that or are they taking advantage of a bad Big 12?

Purdy was not in mid season form the first two starts. He was rusty.

For those of you using the Louisiana game to discredit the Clones, let me remind you there was a very good team in 2009 that needed 2 blocked FGs to beat UNI.

I know it. I don't know why people can't at least acknowledge some teams are good and on an upswing. This is no fluke for Iowa St.. They actually have one of the better defenses in that league and they are not star struck anymore. They show up each game. This is a different situation with Campbell and I think you can expect this going forward.

I know, I know, but you said it yourself: "Well....minus the Bit 12...."

Was just doing a bit of research, looks like ISU could have a tough game with WV - spreads are right about a TD, which seems about right to me. I haven't looked too closely at tie breaker scenarios, but my understanding is ISU still likely plays in the Big XII championship win or lose. I'd certainly like to close with a win if I were in their shoes for confidence/momentum purposes.

A 2 loss team, in a below avg conference.

Good year for tglhe clones. Credit to them for looking solid. Looked real good today.

They're still a 3 loss team in the B1G. Even in Their Dream Covid season.

Don't hate isu, that is reserved for nebby.

Just, meh

Iowa and Little Brother need to play in a COVID-season-ending bowl game.

Kinnick, Trice or Neutral.

We'll beat the hell out of them and they can go back home defeated, per usual.
Too damn cold there now. Arrange a neutral site season-ending game in Arizona. Plenty of facilities and available rooms. Lots of Hawk fans live here; not as many clowns but a few.

I’m serious.

This kind of sycophancy is just fkn embarrassing coming from a "journalist." Randy prolly wears a dental dam and knee pads whenever he prepares to interview Campbell.

Seriously. Try to read it without feeling uncomfortable.

"Saturday’s 42-6 victory against West Virginia to seal the best regular-season record in the Big 12 Conference was the significant occurrence for Iowa State football since ...

... Well, it’s the best ever, unless you want to retroactively count the November 2015 day Matt Campbell said yes to athletics director Jamie Pollard."

Jesus Christ