Cyclone appreciation thread

CP87

They are a good team in all phases, and Campbell is a damn good coach. Hope we see them in a bowl game. Discuss...

It is a fair matchup between two teams that are currently ranked in the Top 20. Why not?

If it happens it happens, but we do not need Iowa State to be relevant or have a story line. They need us which is why they demand that we have to play them every year.

I would welcome the opportunity to play Iowa State and beat them a 6th year in a row. The greatest coach ISU has ever had...has never beaten Iowa. LOL.

They have a good team...no doubt...but until you beat your rival...say, once every 6 years...you are still little brother.

An Iowa/ISU bowl game would be incredible. Not sure what kind of TV ratings that would get, but the entire state of Iowa would be hyped. It would be like Cy-Hawk week taken to 11.

I'd love to kick their ass in a bowl game. Do I think they are all that good? I think they are overrated big time. They aren't a top 10 team. They lost to the Rajin Cajuns at home. So barely beating Texas and tripping up OU isn't enough for me. Big 12 sucks. If it works out we play them so we can slam Purdy around I'd be ok with that.

On one hand, they are having the year that makes them more worthy to play us..........finally. On the other hand, they are also flash in the pan. "Rain shines on a dog's ass every 100 years." The next high paid offer from step up xyz school and Campbell is out of there. We need to break away from their psychological dependency of playing them on a yearly basis to make them feel more relevant. I would much rather play Oklahoma and win that game if I had to out of that messy conference.

Iowa and Little Brother need to play in a COVID-season-ending bowl game.

Kinnick, Trice or Neutral.

We'll beat the hell out of them and they can go back home defeated, per usual.

This would actually be pretty neat with a little more on the line. Does the BIG 10 and 12 even have a tie in bowl game?

This would actually be pretty neat with a little more on the line. Does the BIG 10 and 12 even have a tie in bowl game?
The best would be if both teams won out and got bids to a NY6 game with a top ten finish on the line for the winner. Piss pounding Iowa State in something like the Cotton Bowl would be amazing.

On one hand, they are having the year that makes them more worthy to play us..........finally. On the other hand, they are also flash in the pan. "Rain shines on a dog's ass every 100 years." The next high paid offer from step up xyz school and Campbell is out of there. We need to break away from their psychological dependency of playing them on a yearly basis to make them feel more relevant. I would much rather play Oklahoma and win that game if I had to out of that messy conference.
ISU is nothing more than what Minnesota was last year. This isn't something that's going to last.

Does everyone forget how bad they looked against Louisiana Lafayette? Maybe it was just the first game jitters or maybe Ragin Cajuns are really good. Are the Clowns really all that or are they taking advantage of a bad Big 12?

Does everyone forget how bad they looked against Louisiana Lafayette? Maybe it was just the first game jitters or maybe Ragin Cajuns are really good. Are the Clowns really all that or are they taking advantage of a bad Big 12?
Exactly. The new receivers, they couldn't get any open that game. Then Big 12 defense happened.

Teams are pretty close ISU has the edge because they are simply getting much better quarterback play. 2:00 minute drive to tie or win a game......who you got? The answer is obvious....you take Purdy.

Breece Hall is a stud, but Iowa shut down Montgomery for 3 straight years. You can’t convince me that Hall is that much better than a NFL 3rd round pick .

Kudos to ISU for having gigantic, physical tight ends and receivers for Purdy to throw to throughout his career.

Well, Louisiana Lafayette is 8-1 and will be playing for the Sun Belt Conference Championship. In their league they are really good.

Just for fun, I looked at Iowa v ISU end of season Sagarin ratings in the Ferentz era (1999-2019). Not sure there are lot of surprises. Overall, the numbers seem to support a conclusion that Iowa has consistently been the better program, but not by an overly wide margin.

For scale, the top team in the country is usually between 100 and 105. Iowa's never finished anywhere near that level, but they've come closer than Iowa State (take that, Clones).

Iowa State's high water mark during this era has been 2017. By my count, Iowa has had 10 seasons that have eclipsed Iowa State's best during this era (with an 11th being a near miss - 2005).

Iowa has been consistently better with 1999, 2000, and 2013 being the only seasons where the Clones finished ahead of the Hawks (2011 being a near dead heat).

Closest matchup on paper was 2011 with the two teams being a neutral field pick 'em. Widest gulf came in 2003 with Iowa, per the rating system, being about a 4 TD neutral field favorite at season's end.

Iowa's best team (2002) would have been about a TD favorite over Iowa State's best team (2017) during this time span.

Over this period, Iowa has been, on average about a TD "better" (neutral field) than Iowa State.

In 2007, the best team in the state of Iowa was UNI, with the Panthers finishing ahead of both Iowa and Iowa State in the final Sagarin rankings.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 7.21.19 PM.png

I read an article that outlined all the scenarios for the Big 12 championship game, and the most likely scenarios were, if everyone wins out, ISU plays OU, due to OU's win over OSU. If ISU loses, there would be a 3-way tine and they would most likely play OSU because of some tie breaker of wins against certain opponents or whatever.

Right now, OSU not playing well and OU killing everyone lately. ISU beat OU as their true freshman QB was still learning the ropes. There's no doubt that, if you want to win a conference championship, it would seem the best matchup would be against OSU, and it's not even close. Obviously ISU will play to win, but my question is, would Clown fans actually rather have a loss? I realize they're too dumb to think that deeply and they know that they're the odds on favorite to win the natty AND they're 10 times better than OU.

Well, Louisiana Lafayette is 8-1 and will be playing for the Sun Belt Conference Championship. In their league they are really good.

But it's the SUN BELT, do you realize how huge of a gap there is between the competition of a P5 conference and the Sun Belt? Well....minus the Big 12.....

I get that they are a decent team, but no team in the Sun Belt should be able to beat a champion of a P5 conference and they beat Iowa State badly. Imagine if Louisiana took the field against Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, or Notre Dame, they would get the shit kicked out of them.