Cy-Hawk Series

CyHawk series is stupid. As long as CPR owns Kirk, it won't be much of a series since IA puts all of it's eggs in the football basket.

BARTA = EPIC FAILURE

CyHawk series is stupid. As long as CPR owns Kirk, it won't be much of a series since IA puts all of it's eggs in the football basket.

BARTA = EPIC FAILURE

Provide one serious way that Iowa has all of its eggs in the "football basket". Please, I am dying to hear this one.

I don't give a rip about the Cy-Hawk, but seriously if we are 2-9 against Iowa State on twice the budget time for Gerald to go.
GTFO now.

I don't give a rip about the Cy-Hawk, but seriously if we are 2-9 against Iowa State on twice the budget time for Gerald to go.
GTFO now.

That's 2 points to 9 points, not 2 wins to 9 wins. So far ISU has victories in football, volleyball, and men's and women's XC, and Iowa has a win in women's soccer. 8 more competitions left to go.

And for those of you getting all hot and bothered about this, keep in mind that this competition is a joke. It is 8 women's sports to 4 men's. Yet, Iowa fields 25 varsity teams and Iowa State only fields 16.

Ferentz's salary?

The Iowa football team made $24 million last year, with a profit of $6 million. To look at it another way, Fran made $1.7 million last year, and Iowa basketball had revenue of 2.3 million for a net loss of $1.8 million from their budgeted $5.1 million from the Iowa athletic department.

So, technically, it is Fran's salary that is keeping us from competing in the Cy-Hawk series.

The Iowa football team made $24 million last year, with a profit of $6 million. To look at it another way, Fran made $1.7 million last year, and Iowa basketball had revenue of 2.3 million for a net loss of $1.8 million from their budgeted $5.1 million from the Iowa athletic department.

So, technically, it is Fran's salary that is keeping us from competing in the Cy-Hawk series.

Agreed on points above. It does irritate me when Ferentz gets on the "most over-paid per win" lists blindly made by national columnists. Iowa has raked in millions for years and its been on the back of Ferentz. Football's financial success has led to the renovation at Carver among many other projects, and you can attribute to Ferentz over the last 10 years.

Right.... That is why you started a thread involving ISU.

Your screen name matches your intelligence on this issue.

Starting a post about ISU winning the current series 9-2 is not about ISU at all. It's about the fact that at Iowa, football and maybe in some years men's basketball are the only two sports that count in this Cy-Hawk challenge to many short sighted Iowa fans.

If Iowa were ahead 9-2 you can bet all sports would matter.

9-2? Wow, just wow.

Like I said before, they award points on wins, and they have only competed 5 times this season.

And to further complain on this BS, the fact that ISU has no money means they barely field any men's programs, which means 2/3 of the Cy-Hawk series is played in women's sports. Iowa's top non-revenue sports are wrestling, men's golf, and men's swimming. Men's golf doesn't count towards the Cy-Hawk, and they don't have a men's swimming team. We typically have a strong field hockey program, but whoops, ISU won't play us their either.

Agreed on points above. It does irritate me when Ferentz gets on the "most over-paid per win" lists blindly made by national columnists. Iowa has raked in millions for years and its been on the back of Ferentz. Football's financial success has led to the renovation at Carver among many other projects, and you can attribute to Ferentz over the last 10 years.

If we're going to go there, I'll give some of the credit to Hayden Fry for bringing the fans back years ago. Kirk Ferentz is to a point living off the impact of Fry bringing Iowa football back from the dead.

The Iowa football program also beneifts monetarily from the richest TV contract of any conference which Fry did not have and the fact that all Big Ten bowl teams split revenue from the numerous bowl games that were never around during the Hayden Fry days. In Hayden's day you actually had to earn a bowl game instead of just winning 6 games per year to qualify.

Lastly, the Iowa fans are loyal to Iowa, not Ferentz. Put Fry and Ferentz side by side and ask Iowa fans to pick the best coach and Fry wins hands down. I don't ever believe we will see a Ferentz Fest celebration like we have a Fry Fest now.

Iowa has pretty much always been crappy in most non-profit sports. There isn't anything I could care less about that Iowa State non-profit sports.

Iowa State has always been crappy at sports people care about (ok, they've been decent in basketball but never good enough to matter on a consistent basis.)

Iowa is sometimes crappy at sports people care about. Who cares about any of this? (including my dumb post)

If we're going to go there, I'll give some of the credit to Hayden Fry for bringing the fans back years ago. Kirk Ferentz is to a point living off the impact of Fry bringing Iowa football back from the dead.

The Iowa football program also beneifts monetarily from the richest TV contract of any conference which Fry did not have and the fact that all Big Ten bowl teams split revenue from the numerous bowl games that were never around during the Hayden Fry days. In Hayden's day you actually had to earn a bowl game instead of just winning 6 games per year to qualify.

Lastly, the Iowa fans are loyal to Iowa, not Ferentz. Put Fry and Ferentz side by side and ask Iowa fans to pick the best coach and Fry wins hands down. I don't ever believe we will see a Ferentz Fest celebration like we have a Fry Fest now.

Look, it is ok to be disappointed with the direction of the program, but you can't just sit here and say that Ferentz never did anything good and he's spent his career coasting off of Hayden. There is a middle ground between not liking what Kurt is doing know, and refusing to believe he's ever done anything good.

Also, Kurt has some advantages over Hayden, but all of the examples you mentioned have benefited all BoneG teams, not just Iowa. For the majority of Hayden's career, the basement of the BoneG was much lower than it is now. That said, if I had to choose the best coach, I'd chose Hayden. Not as a slight on Kurt however, since, you know, Hayden's a freaking hall of famer.

Latest posts