Current players excited about McCaffery

You beat me to it HawkeyeRyno... The quotes that the former and current players have said already have me excited. Not that I think that they are going to say anything negative... it is what they said that has me excited. Things like vision, definite plan, communication with the players, etc. That is what has me excited. But the most telling quote is from Bobby Hansen who was on the search committee:

"Iowa has hired a class act. Respected by his coaching peers, Coach McCaffery is a proven winner who rebuilt the Sienna Saints program in quick fashion by being a relentless recruiter who instilled an up tempo style that fans loved and players embraced. During the search process he expressed his vision for the future of the Hawkeye program while understanding the proud tradition of University of Iowa Basketball." Bobby Hansen
UI NCAA Final Four member and NBA World Champion
Hawkeye Radio Network Color Analyst

great read. very exciting to see. i hope the players did really like him and get to work this summer. they have some work to get us in the tourney in 2 years

Great to hear. I noticed how Gatens felt he was a good communicator and hoped they could relate. Things he reportedly didn't feel were strenghts of Lickliter.

And at least Bobby Hansen says he's a relentless recruiter, so that takes away one of my fears. Also plays an up tempo style, which will hopefully make it fun and exciting to watch, a 2nd fear of mine.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but that link definitely makes me feel a lot better...nice to see the players coming out with a positive attitude towards it all. All I want is a reason to be interested in Iowa basketball in March again so I'll take optimism for the time being.

I love hearing the players are on board and excited with this new change. This is a great start. If McCaffery can keep current recruits then this could be a smooth transition and optimistic season in 2010-2011

McCaffery to Be Next Head Coach - IOWA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Is it safe to say you've done a 180 in the last 12 hours?

I'm glad that after the dust has settled that it looks like this could be a very good hire. I am very optimistic

I linked to the Keeler blog attached to the link above. The stories about Margaret McCafferey is flippin hilarious. I love the passion and total buy in. I think it's flippin hilarious that she took over the presser.

A much better mood from the current players than when Lickliter was hired. I am not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't Tyler Smith actually walk out early on that press conference? Maybe at that point he already knew he was leaving.

Nevertheless, it is great to hear positivity from the players.

No but the talent level of Iowa needs to improve superiorly...and don't tell me we don't have the skills...we have a good nucleus...Lick just sucked.

Is it safe to say you've done a 180 in the last 12 hours?

I'm glad that after the dust has settled that it looks like this could be a very good hire. I am very optimistic

Wasn't "wowed" by the hire, still not but the initial shock is over - as is for others. Everything I've seen from him (including the NCAA tourney games I watched the last three years of Siena) provides optimism. He is a 180 from Lickliter and the players are on board and this helps. He provides what we need but I will not be completely sold on his longevity until he and his staff prove their recruiting ability. I'm just getting excited about watching games where we score 70 points and press if needed!!

A much better mood from the current players than when Lickliter was hired. I am not sure if I remember correctly, but didn't Tyler Smith actually walk out early on that press conference? Maybe at that point he already knew he was leaving.

Nevertheless, it is great to hear positivity from the players.

I feel the same way. It is obvious McCaffery connected with the players better than Lickliter did. It probably helps his style is more attractive too.

This is the first time I have really been excited about basketball since the 3 went down for Nortwestern State. My Youngest kid and I watched every game this year either live or taped. We thought about going this year but didn,t cuz it's 6 hours and it just didn't seem fun. I think this will change with this hire.

Latest posts