Culver pushes for ISU to join Big Ten.

HaydensDad

I just saw on WHOTV13's 10:00 news that Culver is going to meet with Barta and pollard to try to convince Barta that if the big 12 folds we need to push for isu to join the Big 10. Just another reason that he is the worst governor this state has had in a very long time.

Fat boy Culver needs to keep his nose out out this. He's done enough damage to this state as it is.

What's sad is that so many of you don't realize how great for this state ISU in the Big 10 would be.

While I could care less where ISU lands, what is truly sad is the entitlement that you and every other Cyclown internet fan believes you deserve. Even if ISU going to the Big 10 was "good" for the state of Iowa, what the hell does have to do with what is best for the Big 10 and the Big Ten Network(which is what really matters)....pretty sure ISU brings nothing attractive to the table.

While I could care less where ISU lands, what is truly sad is the entitlement that you and every other Cyclown internet fan believes you deserve. Even if ISU going to the Big 10 was "good" for the state of Iowa, what the hell does have to do with what is best for the Big 10 and the Big Ten Network(which is what really matters)....pretty sure ISU brings nothing attractive to the table.

Did we read the same statement? He said that ISU being in the Big Ten would be good for the state of Iowa and nothing more than that. I certainly don't think it's going to happen (for the reasons you listed), and objectively I'd never lobby for it, but that doesn't make it any less true. It's hardly a sense of "entitlement."

Did we read the same statement? He said that ISU being in the Big Ten would be good for the state of Iowa and nothing more than that. I certainly don't think it's going to happen (for the reasons you listed), and objectively I'd never lobby for it, but that doesn't make it any less true. It's hardly a sense of "entitlement."

.....and my point was that what is good for the state of Iowa doesn't matter in this equation. It means absolutely nothing. It's about the Big Ten and dollars. So no matter how "sad" it is, it does nothing for the Big Ten.

i just looked up the term "idiot" in the dictionary, and i found a picture of Culver...imagine that!

I just saw on WHOTV13's 10:00 news that Culver is going to meet with Barta and pollard to try to convince Barta that if the big 12 folds we need to push for isu to join the Big 10. Just another reason that he is the worst governor this state has had in a very long time.

While I don't want ISU to join the Big 10, you have to realize the larger ramifications if ISU gets caught out of a major conference. It would end up being a blow to a legit revenue stream that Iowa State relied upon. Without that extra source of funding, which not only helped to fund other sports but also to fund all sorts of other things at the school ... the implication could mean significant budget cuts for ISU. The only way that Culver could counterbalance such a hit to ISU (as a school ... not just its athletic department) would be to divert precious tax dollars to make up for the losses.

However, from a financial perspective for the state government (of Iowa), it would be win-win for Culver if ISU were to join the Big 10. However, the flip side of it is that ISU's addition to the Big 10 would reduce the funding that the University of Iowa (and all the other Big 10 members) could benefit from. That is part of the reason why the Big 10 has been so proactive about who they're trying to add to the conference .... schools that can both contribute academically (which could add to the grant money that schools might acquire) and athletically (which could add to the TV market where the Big 10 network could be viewed on basic packages).

While I don't want ISU to join the Big 10, you have to realize the larger ramifications if ISU gets caught out of a major conference. It would end up being a blow to a legit revenue stream that Iowa State relied upon. Without that extra source of funding, which not only helped to fund other sports but also to fund all sorts of other things at the school ... the implication could mean significant budget cuts for ISU. The only way that Culver could counterbalance such a hit to ISU (as a school ... not just its athletic department) would be to divert precious tax dollars to make up for the losses.

However, from a financial perspective for the state government (of Iowa), it would be win-win for Culver if ISU were to join the Big 10. However, the flip side of it is that ISU's addition to the Big 10 would reduce the funding that the University of Iowa (and all the other Big 10 members) could benefit from. That is part of the reason why the Big 10 has been so proactive about who they're trying to add to the conference .... schools that can both contribute academically (which could add to the grant money that schools might acquire) and athletically (which could add to the TV market where the Big 10 network could be viewed on basic packages).

Some great points! What Culver is also not considering is whatever revenue ISU loses could be made up by what Iowa gains from the expansion. I am sure ISU will figure out a way to exist with or without the B12, or B10 for that matter, the popularity the MWC is getting the revenue might not be as big of a blow as they might think.

Some great points! What Culver is also not considering is whatever revenue ISU loses could be made up by what Iowa gains from the expansion. I am sure ISU will figure out a way to exist with or without the B12, or B10 for that matter, the popularity the MWC is getting the revenue might not be as big of a blow as they might think.

I'm sure that Culver does consider that. However, even if Iowa benefits from an increased Big 10 funding stream, that still wouldn't change the increased tax burden on the state. Culver could certainly threaten to divert state tax dollars from the University of Iowa in order to make up for the difference, however, that would be sure political suicide (even more so than pushing for ISU to join the Big 10).

What would folks in Iowa rather have, a tax hike to further subsidize ISU or have ISU in the Big 10? My impression is that Culver is trying to opt for the lesser of two evils.

Yet again Culver shows how politically stupid he is.

Why does he take ISU's side? Does he not know that the big donors (doctors and lawyers, etc.) come from Iowa and not Iowa State? Does he not know that eastern Iowa does not really care where ISU ends up?

The only thing worse than having Culver as governor will be having Terry Braindead again. Gaaaaaa...

What's more, is this shows that Culver has no clue about the economics of these conferences and schools and why the change in imminent.

If he did, he'd realize ISU to the Big Ten makes no sense.