Cubs call up SS Castro

"The"riot, tiny font, or baker will be replaced by castro in a starting or platoon role by the beginning of next year.

So what does he replace Baker? Both Fontenot and The Riot are hitting .300 or better.

It's moving day ... Chad Tracy was sent to AAA for Castro. In addition ...

Josh Vitters is moved up to AA
Andrew Cashner is moved up to AAA

Theriot to 2nd ahead of Fontenot. Baker will back up 3rd. Castro was brought up because of the play Theriot couldn't make last night that inevitably ended up in the 3-2 loss. Castro is a much better fielder than Theriot, so this is a defensive move. I think Castro can handle leadoff as well. Good speed.

I thought this move was inevitable, but didn't think it would happen until next year. I can see some trades of a few of our infielders this summer. Especially since Theriot and Fontenot are at the ends of their "cheap" deals.

It's moving day ... Chad Tracy was sent to AAA for Castro. In addition ...

Josh Vitters is moved up to AA
Andrew Cashner is moved up to AAA

Interesting, I think Cashner almost stuck with the big Cubs out of spring training? If they could get him to the bigs by the all star break could he set up Marmol and move Z back to a starter?? What to do with Gorzelanny or Silva if they are still pitching good? Anyways hopefully moving Theriot to 2nd base wont let him lose focus offensively, he is hitting about .350

the cubs have a lot of good young players, and I think that some of the players that are playing well, Silva, Gorzellany, Fontenot, possibly even Theriot could be good trade bait if the cubs, continue to underperform and are out of th central or wild card race.

I could also see nady, and I wish, but don't see Soriano as trade bait for soemone as well. With the young players we have, if we're out of it by the end of July, I expect to see some older guys go (assuming they waive their no trade clauses) and get young guys experience for next year. Let's free up some cash to get a quality free agent (like Byrd) and build around a young team instead of a bunch of old guys that have been good, but aren't gettting it done anymore.

Love this move and hopefully Castro can prove that he is ready. This will make the lineup so much better with Theriot at 2B and Castro at short. Fontenot and Baker are very nice backup infielders and it was easy to send Tracy down since he had a minor league deal.

Interesting, I think Cashner almost stuck with the big Cubs out of spring training? If they could get him to the bigs by the all star break could he set up Marmol and move Z back to a starter?? What to do with Gorzelanny or Silva if they are still pitching good? Anyways hopefully moving Theriot to 2nd base wont let him lose focus offensively, he is hitting about .350

If we are out of it prior to the trade deadline I would think that every pitcher on the staff (currently) besides Marmol would be on the block.

Our pitching has been pretty good (other than last night). Wells won't be on the block because he is usually consistent (best pitcher this year IMO) and is a pretty cheap. Dempster and Z have no trade clauses, and Dempster has been solid all year. Z had one bad start and I think he'll rebound. The other 3 starters I wouldn't mind dealing. The bullpen is young and I don't know where the interest would be in our young guys. I think Grabow could be a good piece in a trade discussion and Sean Marshall (but you have to keep Marshall, he's a renaissance man out there). The young guys need to stay as they are all progressing well.

The big deal is what to do wit the old guys in the infield and outfield. D Lee, Aram, Sori, and Fuk all are aging quickly and have huge contracts. I'd like to see younger guys get shots, and free up some money for the next few years. I think with new ownership this is possible if the Cubs fall far out of it by mid July.

I could also see Theriot and Fontenot on the block if the cubs are out of it since their contracts are up soon. Nady would also be a good pickup for another team.

Pretty good debut for Castro - 2 for 5 and 6 RBIs (1st player in MLB history with 6 RBIs in debut). HR in his 1st big league AB. :)

He had a great debut but just by watching him at the plate proves he has a long way to go but the upside is unbelivable. I do believe he will eventually get ate alive this year by major league pitching. I hope i'm wrong though!!

Pretty dang impressive for me...It seemed to spark the whole team...and don't tell me "Well cincy is just bad"...cause that team we just lost a series to...the...PIRATES...got about 100000000 runned a couple weeks ago by the Brewers...one local sportswriter in pittsburgh wrote an article advocating the dissolution of the team because they are an embarrassment...but my cubs will still lose to them!

But Castro's entrance seemed to spark the offense.

3 errors...eeeek

think he will be ok a lot of pressure getting pulled up sounds like soriano is gonna keep him under his wing

3 errors...eeeek

think he will be ok a lot of pressure getting pulled up sounds like soriano is gonna keep him under his wing

Not sure how that will help his defense, but it's good to have an older guy mentor you. He's just 20 and doesn't speak english well, so the adjustment will be tough. He'll get it together. I couldn't ever imagine walking onto Wrigley field to play ball, I'm sure he was really nervous.

Latest posts