Cubs 9-1 LA losing update

What are we gonna do? Pythagoras and DDT going at each other? Both are always right. What are we gonna do?
I don’t know what everyone else is going to do but you’re going to lay some long-winded, .... coaching life experience ....

Last edited by a moderator:
OK!
The Cardinals are hard to argue about. When I coached HS baseball we played a lot like the 80s Cards. Swiped something like 140 bases in a HS season. The Cards have been good. Really good.

The Cubs are the newer King on the block. The Cards are a ways from being a legit contender again. The Cubs will be so for a couple of years, but they need some obvious changes to get back to the Series.

They need to do something about Schwarber.
Relief pitching is a problem.
Starting pitching needs to give up on Lackey and of course replace Arietta.

If Baez could consistently hit he'll be hall of fame.

They need to upgrade around Bryant and Riz. Contreras may be part of the key, but who wants a catcher batting so high. He could be as good as Posey. They really need a real lead off. They have a few that can bat the 2 spot.
Oh, looky! You coached HS baseball.
Sorry, I was way off.

I'm a fan of both historically. I miss the running game. I tend to root for which one is more in contention.

I don't disagree. Good starting pitching, decent hitting, so-so defense, horrible horrible bullpen.
They've been a solid organization for most of the 47 years I've watched baseball (and before that). Not counting interims and the Vern Rapp-Ken Boyer era, they've basically had five managers since the mid 1960's (the Cubs probably closer to twenty five). I'm definitely not writing them off. But Matheny does have some heat on him.

They've been a solid organization for most of the 47 years I've watched baseball (and before that). Not counting interims and the Vern Rapp-Ken Boyer era, they've basically had five managers since the mid 1960's (the Cubs probably closer to twenty five). I'm definitely not writing them off. But Matheny does have some heat on him.

I remember first becoming aware of them in 1967 when they beat the BoSox for the WS title. Why then? Simple actually....I was playing farm-team and little league at the time for my hometown Cardinals team. Nothing more complicated than that. I distinctly remember the 68 series thriller loss to the Tigers as well. I was hooked on the birds from then on. So for me it's been 50 years of following them.

Times have changed. The days of turning over your roster every year is over. They've probably gone through more players in the last 20 years than anybody. It's kind of funny that they are trying to mimic the Cubs and bring in players that can play multiple positions and are very young. Just listening to their announcers it's really getting to them that they are chasing the Cubs. Heck they even use the Cards go as Carpenter goes. Sound familiar? Matheny isn't the answer for them but I'm not gong to tell them. I love Matheny. Now since Red has passed Matheny is really up a crick. They don't make the playoffs this year and somebody's seat will be very very hot! Lol

Times have changed. The days of turning over your roster every year is over. They've probably gone through more players in the last 20 years than anybody. It's kind of funny that they are trying to mimic the Cubs and bring in players that can play multiple positions and are very young. Just listening to their announcers it's really getting to them that they are chasing the Cubs. Heck they even use the Cards go as Carpenter goes. Sound familiar? Matheny isn't the answer for them but I'm not gong to tell them. I love Matheny. Now since Red has passed Matheny is really up a crick. They don't make the playoffs this year and somebody's seat will be very very hot! Lol
And Whitey Herzog may not be too far behind (although Lasorda is even older and is still with us). Mike Shannon hated the Cubs as a player, hates them as a broadcaster, hates Wrigley when the wind blows out, speaks of Cardinal fans like they know the game better than any other fan group, and yes gets very annoyed when the Cardinals are looking up at the Cubs in the standings.

Latest posts