Cub Offseason Moves/Rumors

ssckelley

The front office is now in place and the Cubs have plenty of holes to fill. What deals would you like to see or rumors have you heard?

Manager:

Terry Francona - It sounds like he might be a front runner.
Mike Maddux - Cubs have gotten permission to speak with him.
Pete Mackanin - Phillies bench coach is supposedly being interviewed.
Dave Martinez - In the rumor mill

Outfield:

Soriano for Vernon Wells - This deal was brought up in another thread. Change of scenery move for both players in the middle of long term contracts that do not expire until 2014. The deal would cost the Cubs an extra 3 million per year, and perhaps more.

Grady Sizemore - Someone else brought his name up in another thread and I have nothing that ties him to the Cubs but this guy is only 28 years old. He is a former Gold Glove in Center field but might be better suited to play Left. If this guy is healthy there could be some great value into signing him to a high incentive contract with either club options or performance guarantees.

Third base:

David Wright - The Mets have him on the trading block and he is owed 15 million for next year with a club option for 2013. Are the Mets still interested in Marmol?

Chase Headley - Hoyer is big on this guy and he hits really well outside of Petco. The Padres have other players/prospects that can play 3rd. This might be a good team to offer Randy Wells to and/or a SS prospect.

Kevin Youkilis - Thoughts? I am just guessing here. But I have heard rumors of him being shopped around.

First base:

Prince Fielder - An outside chance the Cubs pursue this Fielder.

Carlos Pena - The Cubs could easily bring him back with another 1 year deal. Outside of a low batting average he did a decent job.

Pitchers:

Kerry Wood - I think the Cubs resign him. He is not going to cost very much and is a good veteran to have around.

Roy Oswalt - While he is not the dominate pitcher he was back with the Astros I think he is still serviceable. I do not think you have to throw a ton of money or a bunch of years into signing him.

Dontrelle Willis - Sign this guy to be a left handed reliever. I am dead serious, go look at his stats against lefthanded hitters. I do not think he would be very expensive.

Ben Sheets - I know this sounds crazy but sign him to a minor league deal and let's see what he has got left.

Last edited:
Is that enough to even make the Cubs competitive?

Cubs need a #1 and #2 SP, they dont have either right now.

I like the Soriano deal, it can' be worse. I'm not sure on David Wright's health, we know that he hasn't been the same, but it could be a 1 year solution. I think if you can get the other guys cheap enough then perhaps.

I really like the Headly deal, don't know what it would cost the cubs.

No way to Ben Sheets, we don't need another injury prone pitcher.

I've also heard Joe Madden's name for manager. I'd like to see him or give Brenly a shot, but that would mean I wouldn't get to hear Brenly on the broadcast.

I'd be happy Headley / Wright / Fielder / Sizemore. Obviously not all of them but it'd be great to get one of them.

I wouldn't go near Oswalt, Willis or Sheets, but I'd give Wood one more year before he rides of into the sunset. He's already said that if he's not a Cub he's going to retire.

1) Bring Zambrano back. He is crazy, he has blown all his chances, but he is good enough to be a 4th or 5th starter, and you're going to have to eat a huge part of his salary anyway.

2) Like Hedley at 3rd.

3) Sure Pena only hits .225 but didn't he have the highest OBP on the team? Watch moneyball.

4) Trade Soriano for nothing. You're going to have to pay 10MM+ annually for the rest of his contract, time to see if Brett Jackson can play.

5) Trade Marlon Byrd. Get Tony Compana up to the point where he can take some walks and wreak havoc on the base paths. Byrd is valuable to some team.

Rotation:

Garza
Dempster
Cashner
Wells
Zambrano

It's not pretty - you basically have 5 #3's.

Starters:

Soto
Pena
Barney
Castro
Hedley
Jackson
Campana
Colvin

See what these kids can do in year one, in year two you go out and get the home run free agents.

Rotation:

Garza
Dempster
Cashner
Wells
Zambrano

Starters:

Soto
Pena
Barney
Castro
Hedley
Jackson
Campana
Colvin

The Houston Astros would love this. They wouldn't finish last in the division.

1) Bring Zambrano back. He is crazy, he has blown all his chances, but he is good enough to be a 4th or 5th starter, and you're going to have to eat a huge part of his salary anyway.

2) Like Hedley at 3rd.

3) Sure Pena only hits .225 but didn't he have the highest OBP on the team? Watch moneyball.

4) Trade Soriano for nothing. You're going to have to pay 10MM+ annually for the rest of his contract, time to see if Brett Jackson can play.

5) Trade Marlon Byrd. Get Tony Compana up to the point where he can take some walks and wreak havoc on the base paths. Byrd is valuable to some team.

Rotation:

Garza
Dempster
Cashner
Wells
Zambrano

It's not pretty - you basically have 5 #3's.

Starters:

Soto
Pena
Barney
Castro
Hedley
Jackson
Campana
Colvin

See what these kids can do in year one, in year two you go out and get the home run free agents.

5 #3's? Are you kidding? Wells hasn't even performed well enough to be a serviceable #5. Cashner has great stuff, but he's unproven. And Z was a good #3 when we had Prior and Wood at the front end. Now he's a #3 caliber when he's bringing his A game, which isn't as often as it needs to be. Plus he's a cancer. I don't care if we have to pay ALL of his salary, we're better off with him gone.

Rotation:

Garza
Dempster
Cashner
Wells
Zambrano

Starters:

Soto
Pena
Barney
Castro
Hedley
Jackson
Campana
Colvin

The Houston Astros would love this. They wouldn't finish last in the division.

It would all depend on the outfield - I like that infield quite a bit.

Rotation wouldn't be great - that's for sure.

Again, Cubs need to go out and get an ace. Their starting rotation is crap.

Unfortunately, there's not much outside of possibly Sabathia on the market, if he opts out. C.J. Wilson is good, but I'm still not sold on him as an ace, and his price is going to be very high. Might have to wait until next year. And honestly, I want the Cubs to either wait and go after Clayton Kershaw in a couple years, or try and make some kind of move sooner than that.

Unfortunately, there's not much outside of possibly Sabathia on the market, if he opts out. C.J. Wilson is good, but I'm still not sold on him as an ace, and his price is going to be very high. Might have to wait until next year. And honestly, I want the Cubs to either wait and go after Clayton Kershaw in a couple years, or try and make some kind of move sooner than that.
Sabathia already re-signed with Yanks.

CC Sabathia's signing doesn't make New York Yankees any better than last year - ESPN New York

No to CJ Wilson. Kershaw would be awesome, but if the Dodgers get a good new owner, they will lock him up. St Louis won with one ace (Carpenter) and a bunch of OK starters. The Cubs would need to trade for an ace and I am not sure one is available. Plus, what assets would they trade (beside young players who they need). Unless Epstein and Hoyer assess the Cubs farm system and find some players they deem expendable, it will be tough.

Sabathia already re-signed with Yanks.

CC Sabathia's signing doesn't make New York Yankees any better than last year - ESPN New York

No to CJ Wilson. Kershaw would be awesome, but if the Dodgers get a good new owner, they will lock him up. St Louis won with one ace (Carpenter) and a bunch of OK starters. The Cubs would need to trade for an ace and I am not sure one is available. Plus, what assets would they trade (beside young players who they need). Unless Epstein and Hoyer assess the Cubs farm system and find some players they deem expendable, it will be tough.

I believe that Kershaw is eligible in 2013-2014. That might be soon enough that the Dodgers will still be a mess. And Kemp is up at the same time. If they don't have their finances in order by then, I don't think they'll be able to keep both (I'd be happy getting either one).

Hopefully apologize Steve Bartman for being D-bag fans and fold the franchise up for being lifelong losers.

garza is a #2, almost a #1. i dont see a reasonable target besides CJ Wilson. Headley would be nice at 3B, and I am fine with Pena for another year or two if Prince doesnt take a 5 year deal. although i cringe to think of castros D without pena bailing him out.

Problem: Cubs have SO MANY needs and there's just not much available via FA. You say, hey do a trade, but if you want to trade for Kershaw or a Votto type of player do you think the cubs have what it takes in the system to make that happen. I sure don't.

Maybe the new cubs are more willing to let go of Jackson and McNutt for a trade, but I doubt it. Maybe some decent veterans, but again not for that kind of talent.

I think it is going to be a while before the cubs can make that kind of trade.

I believe that Kershaw is eligible in 2013-2014. That might be soon enough that the Dodgers will still be a mess. And Kemp is up at the same time. If they don't have their finances in order by then, I don't think they'll be able to keep both (I'd be happy getting either one).
I agree that Kershaw and Kemp are good targets. Both are young (Kershaw = 23 and Kemp = 27) and it will be interesting to see what the Dodgers will be able to do. They are now for sale, so let's see who buys them.

The Cubs need some arms. I wouldn't mind seeing Mark Buehrle in a Cubs uniform. Brandon Webb has had some health issues, but if you could get him cheap enough as a FA, he might be worth the risk.
I also hear the Cubs were looking at Ordonez. He's too old if you ask me. I think he's around 37.

Latest posts